Undocking Panels

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

nathanstotts

Undocking Panels

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 9:27 pm

I have seen the scopes option, but that's not really what I am looking for.

What I am looking to do is undock the project monitor and the source monitor and split them. I have three monitors; 2 24" and a 15.6". And what I would like to do is have the Project on my right, Source on my left, and my timeline / bins / mixer on my 15.6" monitor.

I would like to note that I am using the free version as more of a test if DaVinci Resolve will meet my needs before I buy and dump Adobe. If the paid version has this feature, then great.

Marc Wielage

Re: Undocking Panels

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 1:17 am

nathanstotts wrote:What I am looking to do is undock the project monitor and the source monitor and split them. I have three monitors; 2 24" and a 15.6". And what I would like to do is have the Project on my right, Source on my left, and my timeline / bins / mixer on my 15.6" monitor.

Nope, it is what it is. Get used to it.

You can buy a Blackmagic video card and get a dedicated color-managed source output. That plus a dual-monitor GUI setup will spread out a lot of the user interface. The only way to get a hero display is with the BMD card.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

nathanstotts

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 4:19 pm

I think I already know the answer to this question as I have seb threads that go back a few years and versions but I'll all anyway; is there a plan or roadmap to implement this feature?

Marc Wielage

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 12:05 am

nathanstotts wrote:I think I already know the answer to this question as I have seb threads that go back a few years and versions but I'll all anyway; is there a plan or roadmap to implement this feature?

I think the BMD designers have a lot on their plate with getting Fusion and Fairlight to cohesively work together with Resolve. I know people have asked for customizable GUI panels before, and we did have it with prior versions of daVinci (like the 2K, the Renaissance, and the 888). My guess is that this is hard-coded in the program to the point where it would be extremely difficult to take it apart and allow this degree of customization, plus it might affect performance. I would rather have a fast, reliable program than one that started crashing or slowing down because I moved some windows around.

From a "glass half-full" point of view, every generation of Resolve from 10 on has provided more and more user control, particular shrinking and reducing the size of windows on the color page, and now providing a floating bin pallets on the Edit page in 15. So it is getting better with time. I think it was 14 that allowed the user to save specific Workspace Presets to control the size or presence of certain panels and modes, and that helps a lot during some functions.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Chad Capeland

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 3:11 am

nathanstotts wrote:I think I already know the answer to this question as I have seb threads that go back a few years and versions but I'll all anyway; is there a plan or roadmap to implement this feature?

They implemented floating image viewers in the 15 beta, but removed it for the release. Not sure if it was a technical or money issue.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

nathanstotts

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Well that's a bummer. Thank you for the information.

Return to DaVinci Resolve