Critical Exception using Project Server

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PukEng73

Critical Exception using Project Server

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 5:14 pm

have a new project server on an VM running Windows 10.
Editor is claiming that it is really slow saving to the database, crashes Resolve occasionally and rendering is very slow.
If you imports the project to his local database it doesn't crash, saves faster and render is much faster (7hours vs 1hour).
His last crash he got this error message:
RESOLVE ERROR.jpg
RESOLVE ERROR.jpg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 1406 times

Any ideas?
He did import a large amount of projects into the database server. Does it need to be optimized?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Critical Exception using Project Server

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 7:17 am

If PostgreSQL on the VM is slow, or the connectivity to the VM is slow, that could cause issues with slow response.

Definitely try an Optimize, although it would be a good idea to do a database backup first.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

PukEng73

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 10:09 pm

So I'm still getting complaints from my editor and in fact he's barely using the project server now.
The VM resources are barely being taxed. PostgresSQL isn't barely using any CPU or RAM.
Our network has a 100Gb backbone and our VM environment is connected 20Gb.

Optimizing the database didn't help.
The only thing that I see may be an issue is he started having problems once he uploaded 100 projects to the server.

Anyone have any other suggests?

Jack Fairley

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 11:19 pm

What kind of storage is the database running on? Those resources are useless if the disk is slow.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 11:39 pm

"Rendering is very slow".

Sorry, i call bs on this one: when you render, all the info is already loaded in ram, there is no database access.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

PukEng73

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 3:05 pm

The VM storage is Dell EMC VNX and the VM runs on Cisco UCS.
We have other VMs running SQL with no issue that handle much larger databases.
This is also being refreshed to a Pure Flash Array which will give even better performance.

And as for the export render I'm going off of what my editor has showed me.
He's converting the files to DNxHD 115 or 145, depending on the deliverable frame rate, so it has to do a transcode on the export. (The source footage is typically Red, XAVC, etc...)
I don't know if it has to access any data from the DB to do the transcode. I know the preview frames are stored in Cache, but from his tests when he localizes the project his export time went from 7hours to 1hour.

PukEng73

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 4:00 pm

Found that by default PostgreSQL is set to only have a shared_buffer of 128MB.
Considering our database is 450MB it can't even load the entire database into RAM.

Increased the VM to have 16GB RAM and set the shared_buffer in PostgreSQL to 8GB my editor is no longer having lag issues when using projects off of the server.
Render export times are slightly faster now than when running the project locally.
Last edited by PukEng73 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 4:51 pm

Nice find. However, I can't find anything about work_buffer in the documentation. There's a setting called shared_buffers (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/runtime-config-resource.html) where they say that on Windows you might be better off utilizing the OS cache instead.

PukEng73

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 5:55 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Nice find. However, I can't find anything about work_buffer in the documentation. There's a setting called shared_buffers (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/runtime-config-resource.html) where they say that on Windows you might be better off utilizing the OS cache instead.

Sorry, typo on my part (I fixed my last post). Mixed it up with the work_mem setting
It is the Shared_buffer that you alter in the postgresql.conf file.

I haven't managed a Postgresql database before, but I know from working with Microsoft SQL Server you should make sure that you have enough RAM dedicated to SQL so it can load your entire database into RAM. This case no page swapping is needed to access any metadata.
SQL Server they make it very easy to check and change this by just right click on your database in Management Studio. But, with Postgresql you have to change the value in the conf file.

It should be put into documentation for this Project Server that this setting should be looked at.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 6:15 pm

Glad it solved your issue, but PostgreSQL should be efficient enough to work well even without having the entire database in memory, so the root cause may still be unknown.

At work we have MS SQL databases that are several hundred gigabytes without performance issues, but of course the storage needs to be setup according to best practices.

Return to DaVinci Resolve