Multiple instances of BSOD while running DaVinci Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rusty1963

Multiple instances of BSOD while running DaVinci Resolve

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 3:55 am

Hi all

My name is Gavin, I am new to Resolve and this is my first post.

I have been using Premiere CC for a number of years and have not experienced this kind of issue before.

I used the free version of Resolve for a couple of months before purchasing and I never had this issue either.

I have experienced multiple crashes whilst using Resolve. The crashes have occurred mostly during rendering, but yesterday my PC crashed while I was using the razor on the timeline.

The "loading" icon appeared in red for a short while and then - crash!

I thought initially that the issue may be related to the fact that I am editing directly from my client's footage which is located on an external USB-3 drive.

I moved it to an internal RAID drive but the problem did not "resolve." (pardon the pun)

I am not using any heavy effects via fusion, I rarely use transitions but I have been applying colour corrections and LUTs.

My projects are pretty small in general, being between 30s to 20 mins.

During rendering, my CPU runs at around 80% and the GPU somewhat less.

I have uploaded a JPEG giving the specs of my PC.

Has anyone else experienced such issues? Any help appreciated.

Gavin Kadey
Speccy Result.jpg
These are the specs of my machine.
Speccy Result.jpg (107.01 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
Gavin Kadey
Editor, animator, photographer.
Windows 10 Pro, Core i7 7700, 32Gb DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Multiple instances of BSOD while running DaVinci Resolve

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 8:45 am

Which version? Studio?

Could I confirm if it was an actual BSOD or if starting Resolve is unsuccessful?

Could I request a log archive ?

Rusty1963

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi Shrinivas

Thanks for your response.

I am using version 15.2.1.005.

I can confirm that all the instances were bluescreen crashes. Resolve starts successfully every time.

Sometimes the renders work and sometimes they don't, it may crash here and then I will rerun the job with the same settings and it will finish the render.

I am not sure how to generate a log archive, perhaps it might be useful to post a how-to on the forum.

Near as I can figure, the crashes have been caused by a failure of "IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe" so it would appear (to me) that the system cannot access the data requested fast enough and it's "tripping over itself."

According to my reliability index, Resolve has only stopped working once.

I have accessed the rapid storage files and scanned them for viruses - they are clean.

I am running windows 10 image version 10.0.17134.471

I have run the DISM tool as a precaution.

Any suggestions/ideas
Gavin Kadey

Rusty1963

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 8:52 pm

My apologies, I only now noticed that your request for a log archive was also a link.

There are 10 different files in the log. The zipped file is 85Kb and will not upload

The files are labelled ResolveDebug_1 through 5 and then C1 through C5

Which ones do I upload, bearing in mind that a .txt extension is not allowed in the forum. That would seem to suggest that I paste each and every one into this reply???
Gavin Kadey

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 10:37 am

Place them on Dropbox and a link here with a space in the path.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Rusty1963

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 5:17 am

I don't use drop box....
Gavin Kadey

Rusty1963

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 5:26 am

Gavin Kadey

RCModelReviews

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 8:19 am

Just a comment... I notice you're using DDR3 memory (slow) and only a GTX1050 video card so your hardware is pretty marginal for Resolve 15 I would say.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Rusty1963

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 9:04 am

The 1050 is three generations after "kepler" which is the minimum for CUDA, that exceeds the minimum.

DDR3 is what I have and that has worked (and continues to work) flawlessly with premiere CC. Until my next upgrade, that is what it is.

It also works flawlessly with MAYA.

My rig does meet at least the minimum specs, that should be enough.

Rendering a clip of 50s takes place (when it does) in less than real time which is better than premiere.

If I need to change some settings in Resolve, I will do that.

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to replace my hardware just yet.

If that is a problem, then I will sell the software on and continue with Premiere pro.
Gavin Kadey

Rusty1963

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 9:12 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Place them on Dropbox and a link here with a space in the path.

As I said in my post, I don't use dropbox but I did place a link on Google drive this past Sunday.

Is a link in Google drive not a workable solution?

I'm still looking for possible answers that fit within the options that are available to me at present.
Gavin Kadey

Rusty1963

PostMon Dec 24, 2018 10:42 am

This post is to Shrinivas Ramani and Peter Chamberlain, people that I believe are connected to Black magic design.

It is now more than a week, since I posted the link to my archive logs - and there has been absolutely no response whatsoever.

Not an acknowledgement - nothing.

I have no idea what the logs mean, nor any idea as to how the information contained therein can be used to remedy my situation, if indeed a remedy is possible.

I would appreciate at least the common courtesy of a simple response - or facsimile thereof.
Gavin Kadey

Marc Wielage

PostMon Dec 24, 2018 1:43 pm

Rusty1963 wrote:It is now more than a week, since I posted the link to my archive logs - and there has been absolutely no response whatsoever.

Note that this is the week of Christmas in many parts of the world, and many (if not most) staffs take time off or at least have reduced hours. If you can't get fast results here on the forum, you can contact BMD Support directly through their website.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Singularity

PostMon Dec 24, 2018 5:52 pm

I had a similar issue recently. When adjusting transitions on the timeline, my whole pc locked up (I didn't even get a BSOD), and I had to actually manually power off my pc to get it to restart. It happened 2-3 times in a row. I'm not entirely sure how the problem went away to be honest.

Soon after that, I tried to run premiere pro, and also got a BSOD. That led me to believe there was some kind of driver / hardware problem.

So I did do a clean install of my graphics and audio drivers, as well as a bios update. Since then I have not had any crashes.

I would suggest trying to reinstall / update at least your graphics drivers. Also make sure there are no updates for windows. Sometimes windows updates actually breaks stuff.
If you are using cached media / optimized media, perhaps try regenerating it.
Resolve 18 Studio. Windows 11 Pro. Ryzen 2700x. GTX 3060. 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 RAM. ASUS Crosshair x370.

Byron Dickens

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 3:12 pm

BSoD usually occurs because of a hardware or driver fault and not an app locking up or crashing.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

Rusty1963

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 4:31 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Rusty1963 wrote:It is now more than a week, since I posted the link to my archive logs - and there has been absolutely no response whatsoever.

Note that this is the week of Christmas in many parts of the world, and many (if not most) staffs take time off or at least have reduced hours. If you can't get fast results here on the forum, you can contact BMD Support directly through their website.

Thanks for pointing that out, it actually didn't cross my mind, since over here it's "business as usual."

My apologies if I have offended anyone.
Gavin Kadey

John Paines

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 4:46 pm

Also, if it's found to be a program bug, the "answer" is usually the next release. The developers receive many logs over the course of any one version. And your case is rare.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 26, 2018 3:27 am

The logs seem to show issues with drivers - initialising Quicksync components and possibly issues with a Blackmagic playback device you have have in your system.

Can I confirm that you have a playback device? Can you check if other applications can see and use the hardware? It is not clear from your signature so I can't be more specific.

This could be a possible Intel drivers issue, but in order to isolate specific issues, I'd suggest the following steps:
a. updating Intel drivers.
b. uninstalling DaVinci Resolve completely and installing it from scratch. This includes backing up current config and preferences between uninstall and reinstall. Instructions can be found here - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=66766&p=375136#p375136
c. disconnecting any playback devices and external storages when starting DaVinci Resolve to check if that works
d. If yes, connecting it back and updating drivers for the playback device and connecting the peripherals one at a time to see if one of them continues to trip up DaVinci Resolve.

Happy holidays

(edited for terseness)

Rusty1963

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks for your response.

I have no DaVinci playback device other than that installed with Resolve studio.

My windows installation is updated whenever Microsoft decides to do that, I'm sure the drivers are too although I have not updated them manually.

My NVidia driver is updated when it is suggested to me.

I am pretty sure that the issue was the result of an intermittently faulty USB3 cable that I detected and I have not had the issue since the cable was replaced a couple of days ago.

In the event that I get another BSOD, I will follow your steps and see if that helps.

Happy new year.
Gavin Kadey

Rusty1963

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 12:04 pm

Thank you to all that gave help and advice. I have traced the problem after much effort and a lot of suffering with an intermittent fault.

I replaced the motherboard to no end.

The problem was a faulty power/data cable on drive C:/

How often to we check our cables? It should actually be the first thing we do, but cable failure is so rare. Could have saved myself the cost of a mobo and shipping.
Gavin Kadey

Return to DaVinci Resolve