Select ACES IDT for single clip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jean Paul Sneider

Select ACES IDT for single clip

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 1:58 pm

In an ACES workflow it seems to autodetect the correct IDT for most clips. For those who can't when you right click the clip there is the option to choose the correct IDT for aces.
The problem is when it autodetects the IDT there is no option to pick a different one )when you right click there is no ACES submenu), so in the case that the automatic one is off it throws away everything.
For example it happened to me with a clip that I got from VFX. Is there any workaround? Is it me missing something?

Thanks

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Select ACES IDT for single clip

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 2:38 pm

What format and color space your vfx clip is? Did you happen to use the vfx connect for creating the plates? Vfx connect is broken in Resolve, it renders media with different ODT than it expects back :roll: To get past it, ask your vfx side to export what Resolve expects it to be.
I do stuff

Jean Paul Sneider

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 5:29 pm

I solved this specific. Case it but looked strange that there was no manual option, even more since the official aces guidelines for implementation suggest to always give the manual option.

Jim Simon

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 5:37 pm

Jean Paul Sneider wrote:In an ACES workflow it seems to autodetect the correct IDT for most clips.

I don't understand that. You manually set the IDT in the Project Settings.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jean Paul Sneider

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 6:51 pm

And it is just for the clips that davinci does not detect automatically a profile. if I put a Rec709 IDT for example, It will put the right IDT for any c200 raw or Blackmagic CINEMA DNG.
Cool unless you it thinks it is a C200 raw tungsten cinema, and instead is a c200 daylight 2020.
Even if it didn't autodetect (and it does), not being able to set single clips is not good when you have different cameras

Jim Simon

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 7:20 pm

Jean Paul Sneider wrote:It will put the right IDT for any c200 raw or Blackmagic CINEMA DNG.

Ahh, RAW clips. Those are handled differently, bypassing the Project Setting.

But for RAW, the Indoor/Daylight and Color Space aren't baked in, so it wouldn't make sense to auto-detect those things. RAW clips are only affected by the Timeline settings.

So I'm still confused.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jean Paul Sneider

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 1:11 am

Was writing a looong post wiht tons of details, but looks like today last update solved the problem, never mind!

Return to DaVinci Resolve