Blend Modes not working (Fusion tab)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Christopher Kou

Blend Modes not working (Fusion tab)

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Simple issue. Base footage with a merge node and media with just white background and black content. MULTIPLY should make the white invisible and overlay the black, right? That is not remotely what it does. The white BLOWS OUT the background instead. See screens. I am working with an ACES workflow, so not sure if this is a colorspace mismatch issue. Placing the same media over the clip in the timeline ALSO gives an incorrect blend, though different from in Fusion.

What is going on?
Attachments
Comp 2_00008.png
Foreground image
Comp 2_00008.png (156.12 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
Capture01.JPG
Background footage
Capture01.JPG (88.53 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
Capture2.JPG
With multiply blend mode in merge node
Capture2.JPG (120.58 KiB) Viewed 2196 times

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Blend Modes not working (Fusion tab)

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 11:05 am

It can be an ACES issue, how do you load the black-and-white image? My guess is that with your IDT, white will become something way over 1.0 and thus multiplication will blow out your background image. What you should do is load it in using the same IDT as your working space is, to prevent any color transforms.
I do stuff

Christopher Kou

Re: Blend Modes not working (Fusion tab)

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 5:36 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:It can be an ACES issue, how do you load the black-and-white image? My guess is that with your IDT, white will become something way over 1.0 and thus multiplication will blow out your background image. What you should do is load it in using the same IDT as your working space is, to prevent any color transforms.

Thanks, I will give that a try. I was setting IDT to rec709 since that's usually what I set non-log footage to. But maybe I'm misunderstanding what that does.

Return to DaVinci Resolve