save own version for default 'untitled project'?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Leslie Wand

save own version for default 'untitled project'?

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 1:02 am

simple really - when i open resolve and am confronted with the project window, i would like my own PAL template as the 'untitled project', rather than have to create or change parameters.

yes, i have created my own 'default' template, but surely it can't be difficult to save THIS as the default 'untitled project'?

tia
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Andy Mees

Re: save own version for default 'untitled project'?

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 2:35 pm

Thats exactly how it already works for me Leslie.
I set my Master Settings etc as necessary for the open project, then under 'Presets', right-click "Current Project' and choose 'Save as User Default Config'.
That's it. From there on in new projects start using those default settings (which for me, like yourself, are PAL)
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Thats exactly how it already works for me Leslie.
I set my Master Settings etc as necessary for the open project, then under 'Presets', right-click "Current Project' and choose 'Save as User Default Config'.
That's it. From there on in new projects start using those default settings (which for me, like yourself, are PAL)

Inn big companies, you have a database per project: that method does not work
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Leslie Wand

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 10:25 pm

thanks andy. appreciated.

hi walter. in my organization it's my wife who tells me what to do ;-)

a very merry festive season to you both.
www.lesliewand.com.au
sony ex3, sony a6400

Marc Wielage

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 2:15 am

Leslie Wand wrote:simple really - when i open resolve and am confronted with the project window, i would like my own PAL template as the 'untitled project', rather than have to create or change parameters. yes, i have created my own 'default' template, but surely it can't be difficult to save THIS as the default 'untitled project'?

I have a variety of empty "Template" formats I have set up with specific bin structures, pre-built timelines, slates, sample source files, config setups, frame rates, aspect ratios, default drive paths, and so on. If a client brings me (say) an HD 23.98 16x9 project, I open a template setup for that format, then before I do anything else, I do a Save-As under the Client and Project name.

If I have a regular client for whom I do a lot of work, I create a folder for each year we do work for them and save that as a separate database. There are clients where (for various reasons) I have 24.00fps, 23.98fps, and 29.97fps template projects depending on how they ultimately want to deliver.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Leslie Wand

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 2:33 am

and season greetings to you too marc.

thankfully with my limited clientele, and not looking for any new, simply setting up my default PAL HD parameters was simple enough (once i knew how to do so ;-)).

there are times when rock 'n' rolling vtrs looks like childs play...
www.lesliewand.com.au
sony ex3, sony a6400

Andy Mees

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 2:48 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Leslie Wand wrote:simple really - when i open resolve and am confronted with the project window, i would like my own PAL template as the 'untitled project', rather than have to create or change parameters. yes, i have created my own 'default' template, but surely it can't be difficult to save THIS as the default 'untitled project'?

I have a variety of empty "Template" formats I have set up with specific bin structures, pre-built timelines, slates, sample source files, config setups, frame rates, aspect ratios, default drive paths, and so on. If a client brings me (say) an HD 23.98 16x9 project, I open a template setup for that format, then before I do anything else, I do a Save-As under the Client and Project name.

If I have a regular client for whom I do a lot of work, I create a folder for each year we do work for them and save that as a separate database. There are clients where (for various reasons) I have 24.00fps, 23.98fps, and 29.97fps template projects depending on how they ultimately want to deliver.

Check out Digital Rebellion Post Haste, Marc. It'll take your empty Template formats projects method to a new level ;)
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Peter Cave

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 8:51 am

Andy Mees wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:

Check out Digital Rebellion Post Haste, Marc. It'll take your empty Template formats projects method to a new level ;)

How do you use it with Resolve?
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Andy Mees

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 12:28 pm

Hey Peter,
I set up projects in the same manner that Marc notes (ie with specific bin structures, pre-built timelines, slates, sample source files etc), then export those as Davinci Resolve Project files (.drp files) which I place into our Post Haste template folder structures. Thereafter, whenever anyone creates a new project (using the Post Haste app) it creates the project files and folders according to the defined templates and naming convention, amongst which are the project .drp file(s).
In Resolve, in the Projects window we right-click and choose 'Import Project' to bring in those .drp files as needesd. It works well to keep things tightly organised for our setup and ensures that I don't have to troubleshoot other peoples possible project settings issues (as I already set them up correctly in the template!)
Works for me anyway
Andy

Roland64

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks, helped. :)

Was exactly what I was looking for. Quite difficult to find, if you don't know already, where it is hidden.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Greetings,
Roland

Andy Mees wrote:Thats exactly how it already works for me Leslie.
--
Roland Rick Photography

Return to DaVinci Resolve