Davinci resolve presets, add your own?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Majorfoley

Davinci resolve presets, add your own?

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 10:16 am

Hi guys was wondering if it was possible to use your own X264 preset from its config window in resolve.
Screenshot as an example as this is something similar to what i used when i compressed with virtual dub.
Attachments
x264xfw64 settings.png
x264xfw64 settings.png (82.19 KiB) Viewed 1330 times

Uli Plank

Re: Davinci resolve presets, add your own?

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 12:29 pm

Since Resolve is not using the QT framework any more under Windows, x264 is not accessible in Deliver.
I'd save a master format and encode in ffmpeg.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Majorfoley

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Since Resolve is not using the QT framework any more under Windows, x264 is not accessible in Deliver.
I'd save a master format and encode in ffmpeg.

Uh you've kind of lost me there, mind giving a quick explanation? Would be appreciated :)
Also wouldn't doing that twice result in loss of quality?

Sulo Kokki

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Meaning, it's (apparently) not possible to encode x264 on Win Resolve anymore. This is not a major loss, as users have criticized it over open-source solutions.

To wit, you're better off encoding out of Resolve with an intermediate codec, like DNx or Cineform, and compressing it to x264/265 with FFMpeg / VirtualDub / Handbrake.

This should give you the optimum delivery with the desired codec.
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Majorfoley

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 8:06 pm

Sulo Kokki wrote:Meaning, it's (apparently) not possible to encode x264 on Win Resolve anymore. This is not a major loss, as users have criticized it over open-source solutions.

To wit, you're better off encoding out of Resolve with an intermediate codec, like DNx or Cineform, and compressing it to x264/265 with FFMpeg / VirtualDub / Handbrake.

This should give you the optimum delivery with the desired codec.

Well right now im using OBS to record using NVENC at about CQP 15, how would i render it out with minimal loss then before converting with one of those, which i assume i'd have to download first as well before they show up.

Uli Plank

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 12:38 am

You can't simply download a codec any more to use it in Resolve, due to giving up on QuickTime, but the two you are mentioning are already there. Both DNxHR or Cineform have such high data rates and quality that you won't see degradation after final encoding to H.264 or H.265 outside of Resolve.

If you doubt this, make a huge uncompressed render in an image sequence and compare.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Bryan Worsley

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 5:14 am

Sulo Kokki wrote:Meaning, it's (apparently) not possible to encode x264 on Win Resolve anymore.

Was it ever possible to encode x264 on Win Resolve ?

Majorfoley

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 7:03 am

Uli Plank wrote:You can't simply download a codec any more to use it in Resolve, due to giving up on QuickTime, but the two you are mentioning are already there. Both DNxHR or Cineform have such high data rates and quality that you won't see degradation after final encoding to H.264 or H.265 outside of Resolve.

If you doubt this, make a huge uncompressed render in an image sequence and compare.

Alright so in my case i'd do this right?
In delivery, select custom or H.264 master, and then if i wanted cineform id use avi or quicktime as format and if i wanted DNxHR id use quicktime right? I notice if i choose DNxHR with quicktime it has 444 12-bit, would that be the colour options? While if i choose gopro cineform it has YUV 10bit and RGB 16 bit. Because i think with OBS i was using just NV12 with 709 color space and partial range so how would these settings affect it?

Return to DaVinci Resolve