Getting crazy

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rienvanham

Getting crazy

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Sorry guys but I don't get it anymore. First, I'm not a professional editor; I'm editing my private (holiday) films which I record with 2 GoPro 6 Hero actioncams. One holiday consists of about 6 hrs of material which I would bring back to about one hour. I'm doing this for almost 10 years (of course not all 10 years with the GoPro 6 ;-)). I want to have a little bit more freedom with editing than most amateur applications offer and I'm willing to pay for a good peace of software. Most of my movies I edited with Edius without any problem.

In september I bought a new pc: Intel i7 8700K, 32 GB memory, 1 512 GB M.2-SSD, 1GB SSD, 3 GB HDD, nVidia GeForce GTZ 1080 with 8 GB memory, WIndows 10 professional with newest updates; also for the motherboard and the videocard.

And, again, Edius is running superfine on this machine. In the mean time I read a lot of articles about Davinci Resolve; saw 10's of movies in YouTube and decided to buy a license of Davinci Resolve Studio (stupid of me; I should have tested the free version first.).

I did the same project in 2 editors: Edius, no problem at all; (very) low memory usage; no hangs and no crashes: it worked like a charm. After that, I did the same with Davinci 15.2.1, but: I can't finalize my project: mostly after a few minutes my computer seems to hang. If I wait long enough I can bring up the task manager and I see that Davinci is using the whole 32 GB of memory and that my GPU is used for almost 100%!! If I kill the task that everything returns to a normal state: almost no memory is used then anymore.

What could cause this? Is my machine underpowered? Does Davinci need more that 64 GB? Even for a small project (where Edius only uses a few Gig's for the total project).

Thanks in advance for you tips/suggestions.

Return to DaVinci Resolve