Blackmagic book on Fusion

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lindy1

Blackmagic book on Fusion

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 9:12 pm

I understand that Blackmagic has authored a book on DaVinci Resolve's Fusion Page. Where can I get a copy?
Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Lindy1

Brad Hurley

Re: Blackmagic book on Fusion

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 9:21 pm

It's not out yet, at least not on Amazon; they've only released the "Definitive Guide to Davinci Resolve 15" and the Fairlight guide, but the others (including one on Fusion, one on advanced editing, and I think one on advanced color grading) are still to come.

In the meantime there are a couple of free video tutorials on Fusion released by Blackmagic in the last couple of weeks on their youtube page.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Lindy1

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 8:24 pm

Thanks, I didn't know about the Fairlight Guide.

Lindy1

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 12:30 am

Does anyone know when the Blackmagic's book on the Fusion page will be released?

Uli Plank

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 am

Only they know, but the Fusion training by Ripple Training is out now. I can recommend it.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Greg_E

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 2:55 pm

The Fusion book should be coming pretty soon to the Resolve training web page, now with FREE pdf versions.

Lindy1

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 12:18 am

Hi,
Checked today and Blackmagic's Resolve 15 book on Fusion is now available as a free down-load or in hard copy from amazon.

Greg_E

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 1:09 am

Thanks for the heads-up.

Still contemplating buying some of the books that I don't now own, just not moving through the material as fast with the PDF as having a book in front of me. Having some issues with my old tablet and waiting for a new one to arrive. I still like the printed versions though and may need to break down and buy them as I get time to work on them, even though they are fairly temporary with the versions changes that seem to happen very fast.

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 2:49 am

It will take quite some time until these books are obsolete, Fusion in particular.
BM should and probably will focus on the stability of its integration rather than new features or GUI.

But where is the download? I can only find the paperback.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Robert Baker

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 3:07 am

Uli Plank wrote:It will take quite some time until these books are obsolete, Fusion in particular.
BM should and probably will focus on the stability of its integration rather than new features or GUI.

I beg to differ on the how quickly these books become obsolete. I thought that same thing when I bought the Book for Resolve 14. Not only was it simply a restating of the manual with no real in-depth new information it became obsolete when Resolve 15 was released a few months later.
I understand that you *think* BM won't add new features but I wouldn't put money on it... like money spent on a book for a BM product ever again.

Like the OP (original poster) I'd rather have a book to learn with then using a PDF but for now I'll stick to YouTube tutorials when it comes to BM products. Just my $49.99 opinion (price spent on the DaVinci Resolve book).
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

xunile

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 3:30 am

Uli Plank wrote:It will take quite some time until these books are obsolete, Fusion in particular.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/training
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 4:56 am

Robert Baker wrote:I understand that you *think* BM won't add new features but I wouldn't put money on it... like money spent on a book for a BM product ever again.

The fact that BMD added new features to Resolve didn't suddenly make the features that the v14 guide was written for disappear.

It's like people complaining that they're being "forced" to upgrade their cameras because the manufacturer they bought theirs from released a new model.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Greg_E

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 5:20 pm

Maybe going forward they can do things a little differently. Maybe they make a new book for each new version for the people that are just starting down this road. And maybe they make a second book with the new features and major changes for those people that may have started with XX version. And maybe every couple of versions you would need to start with a fresh full book to stay current, as the changes start to become a larger part of the whole.

I can't comment on the differences between Resolve 14 and 15, but there are changes in the 15 Definitive guide that need to be followed, something as simple as the delete key always does a ripple delete but the book says it will not ripple. Small things, yes, but things indeed that should be written into a "Changes for 16" to just go over the new features.

Anyway, just an idea while I wait for my Teclast M89 to arrive and hopefully it will work more consistently than my old Teclast Kindow is working. The display on the new tablet is much better, hoping that will make using it nicer, also having problems with apps because they seem to be dropping support for Android 4.4.4 and few things are working now. Been using Kindle as the reader because it works a little nicer on the PDF than Acrobat Reader. (but getting way off topic)

Chad Capeland

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 2:46 am

xunile wrote:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/training

Ugh. Once again, the documentation is locked. You can't print or copy anything out of the PDF's. Please, can we get this fixed once and for all?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Uli Plank

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 2:55 am

Maybe that's an arrangement they have with Amazon regarding the printed book?
It's nice to have the PDF for free.

Chad Capeland

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 3:13 am

They used to have the Fusion help PDFs locked, but they unlocked it after users complained. The Resolve reference PDF can be printed, but not copied. I don't think it's intentional, there's really no reason to prevent someone from copying out part of the documentation.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Marc Wielage

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 6:30 am

Greg_E wrote:I can't comment on the differences between Resolve 14 and 15, but there are changes in the 15 Definitive guide that need to be followed, something as simple as the delete key always does a ripple delete but the book says it will not ripple. Small things, yes, but things indeed that should be written into a "Changes for 16" to just go over the new features.

I think these are very good ideas. It's unfortunate that Resolve 15 (the software) and Resolve 15 (the manual) got out of sync, to the point where there's a number of things in the former that are not covered in the latter. I bet this will change at NAB.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Greg_E

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 1:44 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:
Ugh. Once again, the documentation is locked. You can't print or copy anything out of the PDF's. Please, can we get this fixed once and for all?

How much are you trying to print? More than a few pages and I would buy the printed version.

For $150usd you can get a (probably) nice tablet to read them on, or much less for a Kindle Fire:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... HFX8WN5933 Available from many other places too.

Chad Capeland

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 2:33 pm

Printing for me is just a workaround for not being able to copy out images and text.

This forum is full of RTFM comments, and I think it's a lot more effective to instead give HIACOTRPOTFM (here is a copy of the relevant portion of the ******* manual) comments.

Also, any errata is much easier to report when you can submit a suggested correction.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Greg_E

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 2:50 pm

Got it, yes I agree. One thing you could do is to use the Snipping tool in Windows (screen capture tool) to grab a slice of the info.

Return to DaVinci Resolve