constant crash after applying fade effect

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mholm1818

constant crash after applying fade effect

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 7:41 am

I'm going through a series of tutorials and Resolve worked fine throughout until I applied a fade effect between clips. It crashed and each time I reopened it it continued to crash. I created a brand new project with the same .drp file provided by Ripple and the new project was stable until I reapplied the same filter.

Resolve v. 15.2.2
Windows 10 Home version 1803 build 17134.472

link to resolve logs and sysinfo:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M961c ... raOUoe5k4h

thanks,
Mark Holm

mholm1818

Re: constant crash after applying fade effect

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 7:47 pm

Kind of wishing I hadn't been so abrupt in the initial post. It was a long New Year's night of complicated and frantic searching for solutions. If I could get some advice on how to proceed I'd appreciate the help.

I currently have no other obvious issues but have noticed that other projects I start or load in Resolve will eventually crash so I doubt it has to do with applying a specific effect as I'd assumed. I've looked at the generated files and can't make heads or tails of them.

Thanks for any and all help/advice,
Mark Holm

mholm1818

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 8:53 am

I've also tried re-installing resolve after uninstalling it. I had a version of 14 already when I installed 15.2.2. And I've tried adjusting memory in preferences and it still fails.

Thanks,
Mark

mholm1818

PostSun Jan 06, 2019 8:43 pm

More info:

I tried implementing proxy mode to half but it won't remain stable long enough to see if this works. I can keep it open by opening a blank new project but found that doing any real work crashes it. I also opened Task Manager and watched it until it completely closed out. It remains active even after the gui crashes but with zero CPU% and over 1200 mb of memory still active for several minutes.

Testing this, I opened a blank project and added files in Media with no problems then closed it and opened the project that started the crash. It opened in Media and remained stable.

Not sure what to do at this point. I get that it's a free version but I've already invested money into a tutorial program I if I can't get this to work I'm screwed...

Uli Plank

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 5:01 am

Tell us about your hardware, GPU in particular.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

mholm1818

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 12:52 am

The computer in question was an acer laptop with not a lot of oomph:
Acer f5-573 w/ intel i5-7200u 8gb ram
display is intel HD graphics 620 4gb

not so great and that's what the smart guy from support hinted at in his email. So I want to do some fairly serious editing. Nothing major but I want to learn as much as I can. I buy a new computer.

It's a Lenovo w a Ryzen 7 1700 w/ a Radeon RX 560 4gb. Not a super workstation, but it should get the job done for the time being.

So Resolve is stable now on this fresh, untainted setup????

Nope.

Peachy until I try to apply a crop and then mysteriously crashes any time I open the project and any time I add anything to a new project.

So, please, I DARE YOU to tell me this is my computer's fault. It couldn't be a problem with the software. Nope.

Bear in mind I've seen the other posts with users experiencing the same thing. There should be an understood cause by now, so...

I'll include a link for a capture log for someone willing to read it. I like resolve but I'm frustrated and angry by now.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S7elZ ... Qp-3vWd3QI

Uli Plank

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 2:45 am

I think it's the Intel graphics together with the Radeon, quite a few had problems under Windows with that recently. Please check the other threads, there were some solutions suggested.

Once this is sorted out your editing and even grading experience should be OK as long as you don't go 4K.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

mholm1818

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Sorry, but the acer laptop had the intel. the lenovo desktop has amd cpu and gpu, so no conflict. They're two different systems. Which means that if I have similar issues on two systems with such different specs then it's not the hardware. Or, at least, not specific hardware.

HaveBlue

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 7:59 pm

You need at least 16GB ram to do anything productive and 8GB vRAM for 4K.
W10Pro, Resolve Studio, Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, SSD and platter drives, GTX 1070 8GB, LG 10bit 4K 32" monitor with two 20" HD monitors

mholm1818

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 7:53 pm

I have 16gb ram on the lenovo. I'm not running 4k files but I know it's do-able if I needed to (proxy mode?). None of this hardware shaming addresses the issue. I apply a very minor effect on either of two different hardware setups and the result is instantaneous crashing on both. Resolve is well known for working on far more basic setups than mine. The fact that I don't have a $3000+ dedicated machine shouldn't be the point of contention when the issue crops up on a variety of systems.

Is there a way to interpret the crash log myself?

HaveBlue

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 10:29 pm

No one is shaming your hardware. I really could care less either way but by not providing detailed specifics on the hardware, software version, file format and resolution, effects you are trying to do, no one can give any serious help. I'm just a user as well and have no vested interest in Resolve. If there is a way to make it do what you want, great. If the gap is too large, users will let you know. Using the minimum hardware to get a job done is the most cost effective. I have PCs that also don't meet the minimum specs. I'm typing this on a WinVista era Core2 Duo 2.6ghz with 4GB RAM and a 1GB Nvidia GT430. I can open Resolve but trying to do anything gets me a crash.

Proxy mode will not prevent crashes when trying to render or edit a resolution that is to much for your setup. In my experience proxy mode will only let it playback smoother. Same goes for Render Cache. They just speed up something that an otherwise capable PC can process.

Best of luck on your quest.
W10Pro, Resolve Studio, Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, SSD and platter drives, GTX 1070 8GB, LG 10bit 4K 32" monitor with two 20" HD monitors

Return to DaVinci Resolve