Resolve 15 Hardware, SSD, Cache and GPU. ¡Please Help!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

insitepro

Resolve 15 Hardware, SSD, Cache and GPU. ¡Please Help!

PostSun Jan 06, 2019 8:43 pm

My main intention is boost RESOLVE 15 from the most convenient point at 2019, the HARDAWARE, the real system-software performance and how handle it. In many searches I've found out the subject is
very over-understood plus slightly clear or not mentioned in an exact and clear way.
Why keep or create this thread?
Because we have a lot of money and time invested in our workstations, the obsolescence curve is very expensive (increasing more since 3 years ago) and a lot of us are professionally dependent on it... Please contribute, join with your real knowledge about it and ALWAYS BE DIRECT AND CLEAR without detours, contexts, citations, contrasts, etc...

Here leave a list of basic and important questions about Hardware and Resolve 15

1- How Resolve15 use CPU cores? Logics or real cores? An example: 2018 Xeon with 12 logic cores(threads) at 3.5GHz is a beast!! and it costs over $1,500 or some Core i9 with real 10 cores(20 threads) is really cheap.. so How RESOLVE use the Cores?
2- With any resource monitor we can observe that RESOLVE15 makes excellent use of the CPU rarely becomes overloaded (saturated), anyone know why this happens?
3- Sometimes the blue/red optimization bar not appear in those occasions the footage is fluid without problems... this menas, what? (the answer may be obvious, the point is to know how RESOLVE15 manages and checks the footage for this situations).
4- We know that RESOLVE15 encodes and encrypts the project files but what happens to renders.. in technical and physical words how do it?, cache.. where and how this files are created, are temporary or permanent?, the link files references are some constant data writing?, always exists the floating point error caused by hardware How RESOLVE15 handle it?, The RAM.. the speed of RAM is really important? again how RESOLVE15 handles the amount and speed of RAM?
5- SSD´s for OS and Data Storage. RESOLVE15 need a dedicated SSD for cache? How many SSDs would be needed for a HIGHLIGHTED workflow, SSD on RAID 0, NVMe for program, etc..? In the console section it would be possible determine changes to the program.. maybe separate database to use extra storage hardware?
6- The MULTILE-GPU option exists, we know it but how in detail works the simultaneous GPU? SLI is real supported? SLI config really share all the processes in two or use some hierarchy rule? Any update (2018) manual explaining the real use and configuration of multiple GPU´s in RESOLVE15?

I hope was not too abrupt with so many questions.
I completely left VEGAS and Premiere for wonderful RESOLVE... my work and time deserve to go one step further.

Thanks!!
Greetings from Mexico
Eng. Hernán Ortegón O.
www.insitepro.tv

Uli Plank

Re: Resolve 15 Hardware, SSD, Cache and GPU. ¡Please Help!

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 5:08 am

To answer 5 and 6 first:
I'd use one SSD for the system plus programs and another one for the cache. If the latter is big enough, you could use it for small video projects too.

Resolve doesn't use SLI, it even needs to be switched off. You just add as many GPU cards as you can afford, preferably the same card with the same amount of memory, since the smallest VRAM will limit the resolution you can process. Two strong cards will already give you a lot of power, a third one will add quite a bit. With more than that, you'll have diminishing returns (and power supply or heat problems), at least under Mac OS or Windows. Linux is said to handle more GPUs better, but I have no experience with that.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

xunile

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 6:35 am

Puget Systems has done a good amount of systems testing, you might want to check out their site.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=52166
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Carsten Sellberg

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 6:46 am

Hi

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. More CUDA/OpenCL Cores are better.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

MishaEngel

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 2:03 pm

insitepro wrote:My main intention is boost RESOLVE 15 from the most convenient point at 2019, the HARDAWARE, the real system-software performance and how handle it. In many searches I've found out the subject is
very over-understood plus slightly clear or not mentioned in an exact and clear way.
Why keep or create this thread?
Because we have a lot of money and time invested in our workstations, the obsolescence curve is very expensive (increasing more since 3 years ago) and a lot of us are professionally dependent on it... Please contribute, join with your real knowledge about it and ALWAYS BE DIRECT AND CLEAR without detours, contexts, citations, contrasts, etc...

Here leave a list of basic and important questions about Hardware and Resolve 15

insitepro wrote:1- How Resolve15 use CPU cores? Logics or real cores? An example: 2018 Xeon with 12 logic cores(threads) at 3.5GHz is a beast!! and it costs over $1,500 or some Core i9 with real 10 cores(20 threads) is really cheap.. so How RESOLVE use the Cores?

Decoding the codecs takes the most hit, heavy codecs are long-gop (AVC, h.264, h265, etc..) and compressed RAW codecs like RED's .R3D. Lighter codecs are Cineform and blackmagic.RAW.

insitepro wrote:2- With any resource monitor we can observe that RESOLVE15 makes excellent use of the CPU rarely becomes overloaded (saturated), anyone know why this happens?

Try a heavy codec like 8k.R3D 5:1 compression 24 fps full-res premium in real-time, you need a very powerful cpu for those kind of workloads.

insitepro wrote:3- Sometimes the blue/red optimization bar not appear in those occasions the footage is fluid without problems... this menas, what? (the answer may be obvious, the point is to know how RESOLVE15 manages and checks the footage for this situations).

insitepro wrote:4- We know that RESOLVE15 encodes and encrypts the project files but what happens to renders.. in technical and physical words how do it?, cache.. where and how this files are created, are temporary or permanent?, the link files references are some constant data writing?, always exists the floating point error caused by hardware How RESOLVE15 handle it?, The RAM.. the speed of RAM is really important? again how RESOLVE15 handles the amount and speed of RAM?

insitepro wrote:5- SSD´s for OS and Data Storage. RESOLVE15 need a dedicated SSD for cache? How many SSDs would be needed for a HIGHLIGHTED workflow, SSD on RAID 0, NVMe for program, etc..? In the console section it would be possible determine changes to the program.. maybe separate database to use extra storage hardware?

When you cache 16 bit DPX at a certain resolution you can calculate the speed and the size needed for your cache drive, advantage of cache is that the GPU doesn't have to de-bayer anymore and can fully focus on other effects and that the cpu doesn't have to decode any more.

insitepro wrote:6- The MULTILE-GPU option exists, we know it but how in detail works the simultaneous GPU? SLI is real supported? SLI config really share all the processes in two or use some hierarchy rule? Any update (2018) manual explaining the real use and configuration of multiple GPU´s in RESOLVE15?

It's not in SLI (that doesn't work at the moment). See the multiple GPU's as co-processors who all pick a chunk of the workload. example:
1 gpu handles frame 1,2,3,4,.., last frame

3 gpu's:
GPU1 handles frame 1,4,7,10, etc..
GPU2 handles frame 2,5,8,11, etc...
GPU3 handles frame 3,6,9,12, etc..

Some frames take more time than others that's why the scaling is not perfect.

insitepro wrote:I hope was not too abrupt with so many questions.
I completely left VEGAS and Premiere for wonderful RESOLVE... my work and time deserve to go one step further.

Thanks!!

insitepro

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 7:42 pm

I am very grateful for every answer... sometimes I tend to be a little stubborn and I think some answers are not so clear but they certainly help me a lot

Thank you very much for your time and attention... you are a unique community!
Greetings from Mexico
Eng. Hernán Ortegón O.
www.insitepro.tv

Return to DaVinci Resolve