Optimized media taking 12 hours!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 1:35 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new here, so please go easy :)

I've got a bunch of 4K drone clips totaling around 350 GB.
I've imported them, selected them all and hit 'generate optimized media'.

In the lower right corner of the screen, my optimized media settings are set to 'quarter resolution', and DNxHR HQ selected as the format.

Generating optimized media is taking stupidly slow - currently it's estimating 12.5 hours! As far as I can tell from reading different threads, this is not normal.

I'm running the latest version of Resolve 15.2 on Windows 10, on an Intel i7 8700K, 32 GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO NVME SSD, and GTX 1080 Ti.

Any ideas??
Offline

peterjackson

  • Posts: 436
  • Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:12 pm
  • Real Name: Peter Jackson

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Check if you have HW accelerated H264/HEVC enabled in settings and check in task manager if the GTX is indeed used for video decode.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
XPS 9750, i9-8950HK, 32GB, 2TB NVM, Intel 630, GTX 1050 Ti, 1080 Ti eGPU, Mini Monitor, BMCC4K. Versions: BIOS 1.7.0, Intel 630 24.20.100.6287, Nvidia 25.21.14.1881, Thunderbolt 17.4.77.13, Win10 Enterprise 10.0.17134.
Offline

peterjackson

  • Posts: 436
  • Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:12 pm
  • Real Name: Peter Jackson

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 7:09 pm

However, 12h doesn't sound so wrong for 350 GB.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
XPS 9750, i9-8950HK, 32GB, 2TB NVM, Intel 630, GTX 1050 Ti, 1080 Ti eGPU, Mini Monitor, BMCC4K. Versions: BIOS 1.7.0, Intel 630 24.20.100.6287, Nvidia 25.21.14.1881, Thunderbolt 17.4.77.13, Win10 Enterprise 10.0.17134.
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 2:36 am

peterjackson wrote:Check if you have HW accelerated H264/HEVC enabled in settings and check in task manager if the GTX is indeed used for video decode.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


I remember going through some settings and manually selecting my GTX card, is that the setting you're referring to? If not, can you please provide the steps? I'm very new to Resolve.
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 2:39 am

peterjackson wrote:However, 12h doesn't sound so wrong for 350 GB.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


Really? Even on a high end machine?
What about professionals who take terabytes of footage? Do they go for a sabbatical to Peru?
Offline

Peter Cave

  • Posts: 1140
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 am
  • Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 4:35 am

Corvus wrote:
peterjackson wrote:However, 12h doesn't sound so wrong for 350 GB.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


Really? Even on a high end machine?
What about professionals who take terabytes of footage? Do they go for a sabbatical to Peru?


No, we do it overnight.
Resolve 15.3 & 16b3
Mac OSX 10.13.6
Hackintosh i7 32gb
GTX 1060 6GB
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 4:38 am

Peter Cave wrote:
Corvus wrote:
peterjackson wrote:However, 12h doesn't sound so wrong for 350 GB.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


Really? Even on a high end machine?
What about professionals who take terabytes of footage? Do they go for a sabbatical to Peru?


No, we do it overnight.


I mean, if ~300 GB takes overnight as it is, won't 2 TB take literally days to complete?
Are you sure this is normal? I have never heard of this. :-\
Offline
User avatar

Marc Wielage

  • Posts: 5603
  • Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:46 am
  • Location: Hollywood, USA

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 5:26 am

Corvus wrote:I mean, if ~300 GB takes overnight as it is, won't 2 TB take literally days to complete?
Are you sure this is normal? I have never heard of this. :-\

If you just transcoded it to a reasonable DNxHR or ProRes format, I bet you could do it in real-time. 6 hours of footage would take about 6 hours, maybe less on a really fast machine. H.264/H/265 drone footage is not good for post, for a lot of reasons.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood
Offline

peterjackson

  • Posts: 436
  • Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:12 pm
  • Real Name: Peter Jackson

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 7:23 am

Corvus wrote:
peterjackson wrote:Check if you have HW accelerated H264/HEVC enabled in settings and check in task manager if the GTX is indeed used for video decode.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


I remember going through some settings and manually selecting my GTX card, is that the setting you're referring to? If not, can you please provide the steps? I'm very new to Resolve.
No, check settings again and then validate in task manager.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
XPS 9750, i9-8950HK, 32GB, 2TB NVM, Intel 630, GTX 1050 Ti, 1080 Ti eGPU, Mini Monitor, BMCC4K. Versions: BIOS 1.7.0, Intel 630 24.20.100.6287, Nvidia 25.21.14.1881, Thunderbolt 17.4.77.13, Win10 Enterprise 10.0.17134.
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 7:27 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Corvus wrote:I mean, if ~300 GB takes overnight as it is, won't 2 TB take literally days to complete?
Are you sure this is normal? I have never heard of this. :-\

If you just transcoded it to a reasonable DNxHR or ProRes format, I bet you could do it in real-time. 6 hours of footage would take about 6 hours, maybe less on a really fast machine. H.264/H/265 drone footage is not good for post, for a lot of reasons.


How do I do this?
Isn't this what happens when I select 'DNxHR' under optimized media settings?

I just came back to my computer after leaving it optimizing for 16 hours (!) and I made one little speed ramp change to a clip on my timeline, and the damn thing had to re-cache the clip (red line came up). Even after I manually right click the clip in the timeline and select 'Generate optimized media'. To make sure, I do have 'Use Optimized Media' ticked in the Playback menu. It's as if it's not optimizing anything.

Isn't the whole point of optimizing media that I won't have to run into this every time I made a change to a clip? What am I doing wrong here? This whole thing seems like a mess right now :-\
Last edited by Corvus on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 7:28 am

peterjackson wrote:
Corvus wrote:
peterjackson wrote:Check if you have HW accelerated H264/HEVC enabled in settings and check in task manager if the GTX is indeed used for video decode.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


I remember going through some settings and manually selecting my GTX card, is that the setting you're referring to? If not, can you please provide the steps? I'm very new to Resolve.
No, check settings again and then validate in task manager.



Which settings?
My task manager tells me that my GPU is only ~10% utilized when 'optimizing' so obviously I'm not looking in the right area, correct?
Offline

John Griffin

  • Posts: 99
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 am

Maybe the re sampling to 1/4 resolution is not helping - try it at original size. Also do you really need to use optimised media? Have you tried it with just render cache enabled. Also the process will be running mainly on the CPU so just having 6 cores won't be as fast as a CPU with more. Lastly are you just using a single drive? For this kind of process I'd have the source media on one drive and the optimised media writing to another drive (both as fast as possible) and neither of these being on the C drive. Bottom line though is that generating optimised media does take a long time but does speed up the editing process once done.
Dell XPS 9560 i7 7700HQ,GTX 1050m, 32gb 1Tb NVME C drive, 1TB SSD 2nd internal as Cache. GTX 1080ti eGPU, 4x 7200rpm 1.5tb HD's in RAID 0 on USB-C as media storage. Win10 x64, Resolve Studio (all latest versions and up to date drivers)
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 7:42 am

John Griffin wrote:Maybe the re sampling to 1/4 resolution is not helping - try it at original size. Also do you really need to use optimised media? Have you tried it with just render cache enabled. Also the process will be running mainly on the CPU so just having 6 cores won't be as fast as a CPU with more. Lastly are you just using a single drive? For this kind of process I'd have the source media on one drive and the optimised media writing to another drive (both as fast as possible) and neither of these being on the C drive. Bottom line though is that generating optimised media does take a long time but does speed up the editing process once done.


When I edit via render cache and set it to 'user', it literally has to render the whole clip whenever I make little changes to it. This is ESPECIALLY infuriating when trying to insert and adjust speed ramps. Every single adjustment: re-caching. And I have to wait like 45 seconds for every little adjustment because I can play back my clip smoothly. It's horrible.

I have optimized media writing to a Samsung 870 EVO NVME SSD. It's plenty fast.

Look, I understand that optimized media takes a long time, but so far everything I've seen and read tells me that it shouldn't take 12 hours to optimize ~330 GB of video. I've heard of people with 2 TB of footage getting it done overnight.

Also I have just realised that after it apparently optimized my media, it isn't playing back on my timeline smoothly at all. Refer to my previous post - it's as if nothing was optimized. And yes, I have 'Use optimized media' ticked in my Playback menu.

EDIT: I've just tried changing my optimization setting to 'original size' as per your suggestion. Absolutely zero change. Sluggish as hell. Again, it's as if it isn't optimizing anything.

Clearly something is wrong.
Offline

John Griffin

  • Posts: 99
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 8:06 am

Have you monitored CPU, GPU, RAM, disk activity etc in windows task manager to see if there are any bottle necks or processes not working? How about trying another optimised media codec like GoPro Cineform? On my laptop system I need to use optimised media and Render cache for smooth playback (render cache will run much faster from optimised media) but this doesn't solve the main issue.
Dell XPS 9560 i7 7700HQ,GTX 1050m, 32gb 1Tb NVME C drive, 1TB SSD 2nd internal as Cache. GTX 1080ti eGPU, 4x 7200rpm 1.5tb HD's in RAID 0 on USB-C as media storage. Win10 x64, Resolve Studio (all latest versions and up to date drivers)
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 8:10 am

John Griffin wrote:Have you monitored CPU, GPU, RAM, disk activity etc in windows task manager to see if there are any bottle necks or processes not working? How about trying another optimised media codec like GoPro Cineform? On my laptop system I need to use optimised media and Render cache for smooth playback (render cache will run much faster from optimised media) but this doesn't solve the main issue.


GPU use is ~10% and CPU use hovers between 80-90%.
Memory use is 10Gb/32Gb.
Disk is ~20% bandwidth.

No bottlenecks.

I've tried GoPro Cineform. Also all of the other codecs available. No difference.

But there's a more serious problem - even after I let it go for the ridiculous amount of time it demands - it's still not optimizing anything. It still plays back the clip just as sluggishly - and yes, 'Use optimized media' is ticked.
Offline

John Griffin

  • Posts: 99
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 8:22 am

Corvus wrote:
John Griffin wrote:Have you monitored CPU, GPU, RAM, disk activity etc in windows task manager to see if there are any bottle necks or processes not working? How about trying another optimised media codec like GoPro Cineform? On my laptop system I need to use optimised media and Render cache for smooth playback (render cache will run much faster from optimised media) but this doesn't solve the main issue.


GPU use is ~10% and CPU use hovers between 80-90%.
Memory use is 10Gb/32Gb.
Disk is ~20% bandwidth.

No bottlenecks.

I've tried GoPro Cineform. Also all of the other codecs available. No difference.

But there's a more serious problem - even after I let it go for the ridiculous amount of time it demands - it's still not optimizing anything. It still plays back the clip just as sluggishly - and yes, 'Use optimized media' is ticked.

I'd start a support ticket with BM in that case.
Dell XPS 9560 i7 7700HQ,GTX 1050m, 32gb 1Tb NVME C drive, 1TB SSD 2nd internal as Cache. GTX 1080ti eGPU, 4x 7200rpm 1.5tb HD's in RAID 0 on USB-C as media storage. Win10 x64, Resolve Studio (all latest versions and up to date drivers)
Offline

peterjackson

  • Posts: 436
  • Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:12 pm
  • Real Name: Peter Jackson

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 8:23 am

Does hwinfo or task manager actually show the GTX being used for video decode? It doesn't quite sound like it. I think you're doing software decode.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
XPS 9750, i9-8950HK, 32GB, 2TB NVM, Intel 630, GTX 1050 Ti, 1080 Ti eGPU, Mini Monitor, BMCC4K. Versions: BIOS 1.7.0, Intel 630 24.20.100.6287, Nvidia 25.21.14.1881, Thunderbolt 17.4.77.13, Win10 Enterprise 10.0.17134.
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 8:26 am

peterjackson wrote:Does hwinfo or task manager actually show the GTX being used for video decode? It doesn't quite sound like it. I think you're doing software decode.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


I've tried asking before but can't seem to find a direct answer - where exactly should I be looking in the settings to make sure it's doing a hardware decode?

I've even manually selected my graphics card from the 'Memory and GPU' settings in Preferences.
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 8:37 am

John Griffin wrote:
Corvus wrote:
John Griffin wrote:Have you monitored CPU, GPU, RAM, disk activity etc in windows task manager to see if there are any bottle necks or processes not working? How about trying another optimised media codec like GoPro Cineform? On my laptop system I need to use optimised media and Render cache for smooth playback (render cache will run much faster from optimised media) but this doesn't solve the main issue.


GPU use is ~10% and CPU use hovers between 80-90%.
Memory use is 10Gb/32Gb.
Disk is ~20% bandwidth.

No bottlenecks.

I've tried GoPro Cineform. Also all of the other codecs available. No difference.

But there's a more serious problem - even after I let it go for the ridiculous amount of time it demands - it's still not optimizing anything. It still plays back the clip just as sluggishly - and yes, 'Use optimized media' is ticked.

I'd start a support ticket with BM in that case.


I tried 'Send us an email' through their support center webpage. Filled out all the info in the form, explained my problem, hit 'send' and.... Nothing.
No confirmation that my request was received. No email. Nothing.

Is this characteristic of the level of support I should expect from BM?
Offline

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 5880
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:08 am

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 9:25 am

Hi, can we verify the system with non H.264 clips first.

Can you play a HD 24fps DNxHD clip in real time?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 9:27 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Hi, can we verify the system with non H.264 clips first.

Can you play a HD 24fps DNxHD clip in real time?


Can you point to a sample I could use so that we definitely know we're talking about the same thing?
Offline

Dan Sherman

  • Posts: 722
  • Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:07 pm

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 11:27 am

Are you using resolve, or resolve studio?

I get the feeling that you're using the free version, because your machine is better than mine, and I don't need to Transcode h.264 or h265 footage.
X99-A II, 6850K 4.2 GHz, GTX 1070 FE, DDR4-2400 CL12-14-14 4x8 GB
Win 10 Pro 1809, Resolve Studio 15.2.3.015
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5351
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 11:51 am

If your source is h264 or h265 and 4K then without GPU source decoding conversion will be fairly slow. Your CPU is just very average. Your only hope is to get GPU decoding working, but this depends on nature of the source (eg. if files are 4:2:2 or 10bit h264 then GPU decoding won't work). Another problem can be OS version and GPU driver version. If you have GPU decoding working fine (which you can verify by looking at GPU/CPU load during normal playback in Resolve) then conversion should be more like realtime.
Resolve Studio could also help as it has different handling of h264/5.

Pro users in most cases don't have h264 sources, but image sequences or at least ProRes, DNxHR etc. which are way easier to decode and work fine.
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 12:19 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:Are you using resolve, or resolve studio?

I get the feeling that you're using the free version, because your machine is better than mine, and I don't need to Transcode h.264 or h265 footage.


I'm sorry, but I reject this explanation. I've known plenty of people using the free version with machines less powerful than mine and their optimization doesn't take anywhere near as long.
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If your source is h264 or h265 and 4K then without GPU source decoding conversion will be fairly slow. Your CPU is just very average. Your only hope is to get GPU decoding working, but this depends on nature of the source (eg. if files are 4:2:2 or 10bit h264 then GPU decoding won't work). Another problem can be OS version and GPU driver version. If you have GPU decoding working fine (which you can verify by looking at GPU/CPU load during normal playback in Resolve) then conversion should be more like realtime.
Resolve Studio could also help as it has different handling of h264/5.

Pro users in most cases don't have h264 sources, but image sequences or at least ProRes, DNxHR etc. which are way easier to decode and work fine.


My CPU is average? Dude, it's overclocked to 5GHz per core. It's far from average. I know people using the same version of the software as I am with MUCH older hardware and yet much quicker optimization times. This simply can't be true.

I keep asking on here and yet nobody has told me *where* in the settings I make sure that GPU decoding is working and what loads I am expecting to see in my resource monitor. I've even given you the figures that it's giving me above when 'optimizing', and yet nobody is telling me how to check this within Resolve.
Last edited by Corvus on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5351
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 pm

First you have to make sure they use exactly the same source files as you. This is for start.
Post mediainfo screen grab of your source files.
Then you go deeper- eg. change GPU driver version etc.
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:First you have to make sure they use exactly the same source files as you. This is for start.
Post mediainfo screen grab of your source files.
Then you go deeper- eg. change GPU driver version etc.


They own exactly the same drones as me and we use exactly the same codec, resolution and frame rate.
Good enough?

They can optimize twice the amount of the same video content than I can in a given amount of time, and they have way slower systems.

I am running the latest nVidia drivers. Always do.

Now again, where can I make sure that I have GPU decoding turned on? Why can't anybody answer me this?
Offline

Steve Alexander

  • Posts: 583
  • Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:15 am

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 12:55 pm

I thought GPU decoding was only available in the studio version.

Why not compare your hardware/drivers/settings to those of your friends who are having better success?
Resolve Studio 16 | Fusion Studio 16 | Win 10 Pro (1903) | i9-7940x, P4000 (430.86), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) i7-6600, M1000M (2GB VRAM), 32GB RAM, SSD OS, M.2 scratch, T3 external
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5351
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 12:56 pm

Corvus wrote:[

My CPU is average? Dude, it's overclocked to 5GHz per core. It's far from average. I know people using the same version of the software as I am with MUCH older hardware and yet much quicker optimization times. This simply can't be true.

I keep asking on here and yet nobody has told me *where* in the settings I make sure that GPU decoding is working and what loads I am expecting to see in my resource monitor. I've even given you the figures that it's giving me above when 'optimizing', and yet nobody is telling me how to check this within Resolve.


I'm not your dude. If you are looking for some setting start with RTFM part. Then politely ask questions. With this tone you won't get far for sure. If you still not happy go and get paid Resolve training maybe then you will learn some respect to people (when it hits your pocket). Just some small piece of advice.
Offline

Ole Kristiansen

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 1:04 pm

They own exactly the same drones as me and we use exactly the same codec, resolution and frame rate. and the free version of Davinci Resolve ?

So the only difference is that you do not use the same computer - and maybe not the same settings in Davinci Resolve! So we can rule out that it is not a Davinci Resolve problem!

"My CPU is average? Dude, it's overclocked to 5GHz per core."

Yes, your cpu is very avarage - and 6-core is nothing with Davinci Resolve ! Don't think Davinci Resolve is particularly happy with cpu's that is overclocked !

Please give us the media info of your footage - you can us a free program: Mediainfo to show all the specs of your footage !
Offline

Dan Sherman

  • Posts: 722
  • Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:07 pm

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 pm

GPU decoding is only available in the studio version.
X99-A II, 6850K 4.2 GHz, GTX 1070 FE, DDR4-2400 CL12-14-14 4x8 GB
Win 10 Pro 1809, Resolve Studio 15.2.3.015
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Corvus wrote:[

My CPU is average? Dude, it's overclocked to 5GHz per core. It's far from average. I know people using the same version of the software as I am with MUCH older hardware and yet much quicker optimization times. This simply can't be true.

I keep asking on here and yet nobody has told me *where* in the settings I make sure that GPU decoding is working and what loads I am expecting to see in my resource monitor. I've even given you the figures that it's giving me above when 'optimizing', and yet nobody is telling me how to check this within Resolve.


I'm not your dude. If you are looking for some setting start with RTFM part. Then politely ask questions. With this tone you won't get far for sure. If you still not happy go and get paid Resolve training maybe then you will learn some respect to people (when it hits your pocket). Just some small piece of advice.


I'm asking legitimate, perfectly polite questions on here. I'm not insulting anybody, and I've been frank from the start that I'm new here, so I'm fully acknowledging my own ignorance.

So when you say something like 'RTFM part', you'll have to forgive me when I keep asking, because I honestly don't know what that is.

No need to get defensive and claim things that can't possibly be true, like my system being 'average', when I know others using the same type of files on much lesser systems. Reducing this to a technological pissing contest isn't productive and seems like you're just throwing any reason to the wall instead of constructively trying to find out what the issue is. Case in point: you had to mention that Davinci isn't 'happy' with overclocked CPUs - these people I know on lesser systems are also overclocked therefore, again, cannot possibly be the issue.

I appreciate any and all help, but simply fabricating anything with no rhyme, reason or probable cause isn't productive, and may interfere with somebody who knows what the actual problem is.

I'm trying to be as genuine as I can in seeking help here, and I mean no offense.
Last edited by Corvus on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 1:11 pm

Here's what mediainfo says:
Annotation 2019-01-11 001015.jpg
Annotation 2019-01-11 001015.jpg (29.35 KiB) Viewed 681 times
Offline

Ole Kristiansen

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 1:17 pm

Corvus wrote:Here's what mediainfo says:
Annotation 2019-01-11 001015.jpg


Show us all data - in Mediainfo go to View and Tree !
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 1:27 pm

I did say I was new at this :lol:
Annotation 2019-01-11 001015.jpg
Annotation 2019-01-11 001015.jpg (74.24 KiB) Viewed 679 times
Offline

Dan Sherman

  • Posts: 722
  • Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:07 pm

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 1:29 pm

Corvus wrote:I'm asking legitimate, perfectly polite questions on here. I'm not insulting anybody, and I've been frank from the start that I'm new here, so I'm fully acknowledging my own ignorance.

So when you say something like 'RTFM part', you'll have to forgive me when I keep asking, because I honestly don't know what that is.


Well, you better brush up on your etiquette then, because your last several posts read like those of a arrogant, lazy millennial!


RTFM = Read the fing manual

or in other words, in the tool bar go to Help->Davinci Resolve Reference Manual and then use ctrl+F to search based on what several of us have already said.


Corvus wrote:No need to get defensive and claim things that can't possibly be true, like my system being 'average'. I'm trying to be as genuine as I can in seeking help here.

it's not defensive, its the truth. Your running a consumer cpu that only has 16 pcie lanes and dual channel memory support.

Most of the people here that do what you are trying to do are running HEDT machines or better with 40+ pcie lanes, and quad channel ddr4 support.

going into the details of the chipsets and how they are different is well beyond the scope of this forum, but they make a huge difference.


for example if the only drive in your system is the 970 then you are beating the snot out of it during transcode, because not only is resolve reading and writing to it as the same time so is the os and any other app running in the background. your through put could be in the 400 MB/s range or worse.

tip: Don't use resource monitor, it's useless for the of detailed information that's needed to optimize a machine to work like this. install this. https://www.hwinfo.com/
X99-A II, 6850K 4.2 GHz, GTX 1070 FE, DDR4-2400 CL12-14-14 4x8 GB
Win 10 Pro 1809, Resolve Studio 15.2.3.015
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:
Corvus wrote:I'm asking legitimate, perfectly polite questions on here. I'm not insulting anybody, and I've been frank from the start that I'm new here, so I'm fully acknowledging my own ignorance.

So when you say something like 'RTFM part', you'll have to forgive me when I keep asking, because I honestly don't know what that is.


Well, you better brush up on your etiquette then, because your last several posts read like those of a arrogant, lazy millennial!


RTFM = Read the fing manual

or in other words, in the tool bar go to Help->Davinci Resolve Reference Manual and then use ctrl+F to search based on what several of us have already said.


Corvus wrote:No need to get defensive and claim things that can't possibly be true, like my system being 'average'. I'm trying to be as genuine as I can in seeking help here.

it's not defensive, its the truth. Your running a consumer cpu that only has 16 pcie lanes and dual channel memory support.

Most of the people here that do what you are trying to do are running HEDT machines or better with 40+ pcie lanes, and quad channel ddr4 support.

going into the details of the chipsets and how they are different is well beyond the scope of this forum, but they make a huge difference.


for example if the only drive in your system is the 970 then you are beating the snot out of it during transcode, because not only is resolve reading and writing to it as the same time so is the os and any other app running in the background. your through put could be in the 400 MB/s range or worse.

tip: Don't use resource monitor, it's useless for the of detailed information that's needed to optimize a machine to work like this. install this. https://www.hwinfo.com/


The fact that you automatically cast me as a stereotype without even knowing my age reveals way more about you than it does about me.

I've actually read the manual. Many times. I wouldn't be on here if I didn't still need help. In fact most of these threads would have no reason for existing if the manual covered every conceivable problem - believe me, I wish they had.

I don't really care what 'most' people have on here. It's not relevant. The fact of the matter is, slower machines than mine can optimize the same file types/codecs/etc in half the time. That's what matters. I'm not looking to win a pissing contest, sorry. If something is wrong with your car, you'd be right for thinking your mechanic was a tool if the only 'help' he had for you is 'RTFM' and 'there's WAY more powerful cars than yours'.

It's not relevant. I'm telling you that others who drive the same model car and use the same fuel go twice as fast as mine. It means mine isn't behaving like it should.

I've been as cooperative as possible. I've given you my mediainfo screenshot as requested. I'm puzzled as to why you haven't commented on that yet? You did ask for it after all. All I got in response was yet more lovely stories about how powerful some other people's machines are.

I actually have two 970 drives. Yet another assumption you made on my behalf. Not constructive. Plus they are both NVME drives - capable of well beyond 400 MB/s - and in my previous replies, I mentioned disk bandwidth was only 20% utilized during optimization anyway, meaning that even *if* I was only using one drive, disk bandwidth wouldn't be anywhere close to full utilization.

Is this enough evidence for you that you may be, possibly, by some chance, not replying to help me, but to actually gloat about how good other people have it and serving your own ego by speaking down to me?

I mean everything I am telling you is factual information about my problem, and you seem to be getting angry and pulling random insults out of thin air just because the facts of the problem disagree with the completely arbitrary reasons you are pulling out here.

As always, I appreciate anybody who genuinely wants to help. Please let me know if I need to provide any further info.
Offline

Ole Kristiansen

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 2:26 pm

"The fact of the matter is, slower machines than mine can optimize the same file types/codecs/etc in half the time."

The fact is you got a consumer cpu provides a max of 16 lanes !

The fact is you don't use Davinci Resolve Studio - so no gpu support on decoding !

The facts is that you have already decided that it is not your computer that is failing !

The fact is that you don't know how to communicate with others - who are trying to help you !

The fact is that you just waste our time with your little problems !
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Ole Kristiansen wrote:"The fact of the matter is, slower machines than mine can optimize the same file types/codecs/etc in half the time."

The fact is you got a consumer cpu provides a max of 16 lanes !

The fact is you don't use Davinci Resolve Studio - so no gpu support on decoding !

The facts is that you have already decided that it is not your computer that is failing !

The fact is that you don't know how to communicate with others - who are trying to help you !

The fact is that you just waste our time with your little problems !


Wow. I have never. Ever. In my life encountered someone so hostile on a support forum. Are you ok?

I would have zero problem if my system were the issue. Maybe you could offer an explanation why identically-recorded files take much quicker to optimize on slower systems than mine? Because that logically means my system should be at least as fast as a slower system at optimizing similarly-encoded files, right?

Do you acknowledge that this means there may be an incorrect setting, or something else amiss here?

You still haven't commented about my mediainfo screengrab after you asked me to send it. Is there a reason you requested this from me? Just a little confused why you would ask for it and then say nothing about it.
Offline

Ole Kristiansen

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 2:53 pm

So I'm hostile ? he he

And you forgot what I wrote before:

So the only difference is that you do not use the same computer - and maybe not the same settings in Davinci Resolve! So we can rule out that it is not a Davinci Resolve problem!

Davinci Resolve problem/bug !

"would have zero problem if my system were the issue" You say but you do not know !

"You still haven't commented about my mediainfo screengrab after you asked me to send it. Is there a reason you requested this from me?" To see if there was anything unusual about your recordings !
Offline

Corvus

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: Nathan Timpano

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 3:02 pm

Ole Kristiansen wrote:So I'm hostile ? he he

And you forgot what I wrote before:

So the only difference is that you do not use the same computer - and maybe not the same settings in Davinci Resolve! So we can rule out that it is not a Davinci Resolve problem!

Davinci Resolve problem/bug !

"would have zero problem if my system were the issue" You say but you do not know !

"You still haven't commented about my mediainfo screengrab after you asked me to send it. Is there a reason you requested this from me?" To see if there was anything unusual about your recordings !


Soooo... Is there anything unusual about them?

Of course I don't use the same computer as them - I use a much faster one. Do you understand? That's the whole issue here.

Umm yeah, I'm fully open to the possibility that I've got some incorrect settings in resolve - in fact, I hope that's all it is. That's the whole point of me asking on here in the first place.... I never mentioned the word 'bug' once - you did. You were way too busy blindly defending your beloved program with paranoid rage from any and all perceived attacks on its honor to ever actually listen to what I'm asking.

So finally, the question I've been asking all along - which settings should I be looking at?
Please re-read my previous posts before you suggest any, because I've already mentioned some settings I've used.
Offline

Dan Sherman

  • Posts: 722
  • Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:07 pm

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 3:13 pm

Corvus wrote:The fact that you automatically cast me as a stereotype without even knowing my age reveals way more about you than it does about me.


Saying your something, and saying your posts "read like" something isn't the same thing!

Corvus wrote:I've given you my mediainfo screenshot as requested. I'm puzzled as to why you haven't commented on that yet?

Because I started typing my last response before you posted any of that information. Since then I was helping My wife get our son ready for daycare, having a cup of coffee, and getting ready for work myself.

The info for the one clip you posted is 100 mb/s 24p 8bit 4:2:0 UHD footage, you shouldn't even need to transcode that. IMO, Your should be able run that through a UHD timeline, or failing that just run a FHD timeline and export UHD come render time.

Corvus wrote:Plus they are both NVME drives - capable of well beyond 400 MB/s

Your knowledge is a little lacking here. They are capable of well beyond that in lab conditions when running synthetic benchmarks when they can leverage a high queue depths and can read large chunks of data sequentially.

for example take a look at these synthetic benchmarks (best case senarios)
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12670/th ... d-review/7


Mixed 4k Random read/write
970 Evo 1TB 403 Mb/s
970 Evo 500GB 403 Mb/s

Mixed 4k Random read/write (Power Efficency)
970 Evo 1TB 132.5 Mb/s
970 Evo 500GB 113.8 Mb/s


Depending on exactly what drive your OS lives on,where you source media lives, where the cache directory is, and what other process are doing you can slow any drive to a snails pace, even a PCIE mvme one. Trust me I now, I deal with system issues at work daily.

what drives are you using exactly?
where is the os?
where is the source media?
where is the resolve cache directory?

Corvus wrote:I mentioned disk bandwidth was only 20% utilized during optimization anyway, meaning that even *if* I was only using one drive, disk bandwidth wouldn't be anywhere close to full utilization.


as I mentioned before resource monitor is useless for debugging. It only give feel good info, as its sample rate is slow and doesn't consider any of the details.

Corvus wrote:I mean everything I am telling you is factual information about my problem, and you seem to be getting angry and pulling random insults out of thin air just because the facts of the problem disagree with the completely arbitrary reasons you are pulling out here.


No people are getting angry with you, because you keep arguing your hardware is good enough based on your own anecdotal opinions. Most of us that have responded have been through this with others many many times, and its usually not a Resolve issue, is a hardware or a hardware/os/bios configuration issue.


what MB and ram are you running specifically? if you want more help you will have to give more details like newegg links so we can view specs.

The first thing that comes to mind is that your MB might be screwing you over by sharing lanes between your drives and gpu, but i would need to know what mb you are using to validate that.
X99-A II, 6850K 4.2 GHz, GTX 1070 FE, DDR4-2400 CL12-14-14 4x8 GB
Win 10 Pro 1809, Resolve Studio 15.2.3.015
Online

roger.magnusson

  • Posts: 877
  • Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:58 pm
  • Location: Sweden

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 3:23 pm

It's simple, as others have said the free version of Davinci Resolve on Windows doesn't use your GPU to decode the h.264/h.265 footage. On macOS the OS has hardware acceleration built in and is used by Resolve, that's how a less capable machine can be faster in that particular case.

If you need hardware accelerated h.264/h.265 decoding (and encoding) on Windows, you have to use the paid version of Resolve.
Offline

Ole Kristiansen

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 3:26 pm

"Of course I don't use the same computer as them - I use a much faster one.
Do you understand? That's the whole issue here."

No you are not ! You wrote this:

"The fact of the matter is, slower machines than mine can optimize the same
file types/codecs/etc in half the time."

So this computer are faster that yours ! Right ! You wrote it yourself ...optimize the same
file types/codecs/etc in half the time.

It's time for you to give us the complet specs. of a slower machine that can do your 350 gb footage in half time ! Motherboard, cpu, ram gb and speed, gpu etc.

You wrote:

"The fact that you automatically cast me as a stereotype without even knowing
my age reveals way more about you than it does about me."

And now this:

"I never mentioned the word 'bug' once - you did. You were way too busy blindly
defending your beloved program with paranoid rage from any and all perceived attacks
on its honor to ever actually listen to what I'm asking."

Why this: You were way too busy blindly
defending your beloved program ! You automatically cast me as a Davinci resolve lover ! Why ?
Offline

Norman Black

  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:26 am
  • Location: Thousand Oaks, CA

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 4:29 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:The first thing that comes to mind is that your MB might be screwing you over by sharing lanes between your drives and gpu, but i would need to know what mb you are using to validate that.


The MB does not share PCIE lanes between the GPU and SATA drives. AKA the other stuff that is connected to the chipset.

The 16 PCIE lanes you reference for the OP CPU are those directly connected to the CPU. These 16 lanes are fine for a single GPU system. All 16 for the GPU. Everything else is supplied by the the chipset. The chipset is connected to the CPU via a DMI port. The DMI port is independent of the CPU PCIE lanes. Certainly, all chipsets do have internal limits. The sum of the available ports on the chipset is higher than the chipset simultaneous ability. The real world ability is still way up there.

Certainly the 40 PCIE lanes CPUs allow for more flexibility, and importantly supporting multiple GPUs at full bandwidth, but I don't see any bandwidth issue in this threads circumstance. Transcode to optimized media. The AVC/HEVC source media bitrate is going to be at most 100Mbps, the optimized media output will be higher depending on settings but still in the hundreds of M bits per second. Not terribly taxing.

e.g. My 4770k with Z87 chipset has 1 x16 PCIE slot that is connected directly to the CPU and that is also PCIE 3 capable. All the other PCIE slots are PCI 2 only and are supplied by the chipset. Independent of the CPU 16 PCIE lanes. The SATAs are of course supplied by the chipset.
Resolve 16b3, Windows 10 1803
i7-4770K 4.0 GHz, 16GB ram, GTX 1080
512GB system SSD, 1TB 7200rpm HDD
Offline

Dan Sherman

  • Posts: 722
  • Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:07 pm

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 4:35 pm

Norman Black wrote:
Dan Sherman wrote:The first thing that comes to mind is that your MB might be screwing you over by sharing lanes between your drives and gpu, but i would need to know what mb you are using to validate that.


The MB does not share PCIE lanes between the GPU and SATA drives. AKA the other stuff that is connected to the chipset.


he isn't using sata drives, he's using pcie drives. 970's require 4 pcie lanes each to run at max throughput.
X99-A II, 6850K 4.2 GHz, GTX 1070 FE, DDR4-2400 CL12-14-14 4x8 GB
Win 10 Pro 1809, Resolve Studio 15.2.3.015
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5351
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 7:50 pm

Buy Studio version and you should be way better. Best option in your case. Then you may be able to work without any optimised media depending what you exactly do.
With just CPU decoding your transcoding times will be relatively high. You may try to do it outside Resolve with ffmpeg etc. This could speed you up.

350GB of 100mbit based files is almost 8h, so your transcoding is 1.5x slower than realtime which in case of h264 4K transcoding doesn't sound that crazy slow at all and I have hard time to believe that your colleagues can achieve anything better on slower machines :D With Resolve Stdio possible, but not with free one based on pure CPU based conversion.
If your CPU is at 80-90% then this suggest everything is most likely fine.
Online
User avatar

Jack Fairley

  • Posts: 1170
  • Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:58 pm
  • Location: Los Angeles

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Buy Studio version and you should be way better. Best option in your case. Then you may be able to work without any optimised media depending what you exactly do.
With just CPU decoding your transcoding times will be relatively high. You may try to do it outside Resolve with ffmpeg etc. This could speed you up.

350GB of 100mbit based files is almost 8h, so your transcoding is 1.5x slower than realtime which in case of h264 4K transcoding doesn't sound that crazy slow at all and I have hard time to believe that your colleagues can achieve anything better on slower machines :D With Resolve Stdio possible, but not with free one based on pure CPU based conversion.
If your CPU is at 80-90% then this suggest everything is most likely fine.

Bingo. OP, do this with ffmpeg or other software using GPU decode, or buy Resolve Studio. Overclocked i7-8700k is a nice sports car, but this kind of work is better suited to a truck (Threadripper)!
Threadripper 1950X 3.7GHz
64GB DDR4-2666
2x GTX 1080 Ti
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 15.3.1
Windows 10 Pro 1803
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 6865
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 9:39 pm

Corvus wrote:
John Griffin wrote:Have you monitored CPU, GPU, RAM, disk activity etc in windows task manager to see if there are any bottle necks or processes not working? How about trying another optimised media codec like GoPro Cineform? On my laptop system I need to use optimised media and Render cache for smooth playback (render cache will run much faster from optimised media) but this doesn't solve the main issue.


GPU use is ~10% and CPU use hovers between 80-90%.
Memory use is 10Gb/32Gb.
Disk is ~20% bandwidth.

No bottlenecks.

I've tried GoPro Cineform. Also all of the other codecs available. No difference.

But there's a more serious problem - even after I let it go for the ridiculous amount of time it demands - it's still not optimizing anything. It still plays back the clip just as sluggishly - and yes, 'Use optimized media' is ticked.


1) I will transcode to DNxHQ as Mark suggested.
2) CPU between 80-90% is the decoding of the h264, that's your bottleneck
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x GTX 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K
Window10 - Resolve Studio 16.0.0B.033
nvidia: 430.86 studio
Offline

peterjackson

  • Posts: 436
  • Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:12 pm
  • Real Name: Peter Jackson

Re: Optimized media taking 12 hours!

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 9:46 pm

... or just buy the studio version and enjoy GPU decoding. You may not even need optimized media at all with H264 at 100Mbit.
XPS 9750, i9-8950HK, 32GB, 2TB NVM, Intel 630, GTX 1050 Ti, 1080 Ti eGPU, Mini Monitor, BMCC4K. Versions: BIOS 1.7.0, Intel 630 24.20.100.6287, Nvidia 25.21.14.1881, Thunderbolt 17.4.77.13, Win10 Enterprise 10.0.17134.
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gary Hango, Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Philippe Metro, Sam Joos and 48 guests