Help Understanding Compound vs Fusion vs VFX connect clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

EyeFly

Help Understanding Compound vs Fusion vs VFX connect clips

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi there I'm a relatively new user coming from Adobe...

Trying to understand the difference between the above 3 different types of clips...

I have searched the latest (August 2018) manual, but found it rather confusing as it talks about "Fusion Connect" clips which aren't even present in the right click menu as described in the (outdated) manual.

Can anyone throw any light on this, or maybe link me to an up-to-date tutorial or article or anything that explains the different clip types? Many thanks in advance.

xunile

Re: Help Understanding Compound vs Fusion vs VFX connect cli

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 5:46 pm

Compound clips are basically used to group multiple clips into one for manipulation from the edit page. You can use the inspector to treat the collection of clips as one so that you can zoom, transform, crop them all at once.

Fusion clips allow you to bring multiple clips into the Fusion tab and it creates the nodes and connects them with merge nodes so they can be worked with immediately. You cannot include Fusion Titles or generators in the Fusion clip.

Fusion connect has been renamed VFX connect and are used for sending your footage from Resolve to an external VFX app, like standalone Fusion or something like Blender for more complicated VFX work than can be accomplished with the built in Fusion in Resolve 15. They can be created by right clicking on a clip in the Edit timeline.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Sam Steti

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 am

Hey,

VFX Connect is indeed the new name of Fusion Connect, which allows you to send a clip directly from your timeline to open in the external Fusion standalone application : when you make a modification on this clip there in Fusion, you can see it on your timeline back in Resolve (or just refresh to see it show up).
At this point, this is mostly important if you think that Fusion standalone is more stable or reliable that ReFusion (the tab in Resolve)...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

EyeFly

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Thanks so much guys, this has made things considerably clearer :)

RCModelReviews

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 7:59 pm

Sam Steti wrote:At this point, this is mostly important if you think that Fusion standalone is more stable or reliable that ReFusion (the tab in Resolve)...

Absolutely... those who have had trouble with Fusion in Resolve (speed, robustness etc) should just download Fusion 9 and use the VFX connect. I use it for everything except very trivial stuff.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

jjmjso767

How do you separate a fusion clip?

PostSat May 30, 2020 5:21 pm

I have multiple green screen elements that I applied the delta keyer to prior to making the fusion clip but now I want to adjust the green screen elements. before I closed the program, I could just go back into the edit (I think) page and press control Z, but now that I've closed and reopened the program, control z doesn't work. is there a way to separate a fusion clip?

Return to DaVinci Resolve