Resolve 15 equivalent of Premiere Pro's "Rate Stretch Tool"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

gafferwiles

Resolve 15 equivalent of Premiere Pro's "Rate Stretch Tool"

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 10:51 am

Does Reolve 15 have the equivalent of the Rate Stretch Tool that is found in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and CC 2018. I find it very useful for "lip syncing" audio clips to match with video camera footage that has poor audio. The audio is saved as a MP3 on the USB port on the mixer and the sampling rate means that the audio length is slightly out from the camera's audio track, and I have to "stretch it" to do a "lip sync". Resolve's "Auto-Sync" function does not work as expected and the "Change Clip Speed" function is way to coarse and clunky to do what I want it to do. In Premiere Pro I just select the "Rate Stretch Tool", select the audio Clip and drag it at the end so that the wave forms match and clip is synced with the video. I want to move away from Premiere Pro. The subscription option is very expensive and the encoding speed is dismal even with a Ryzen 7 2700 CPU and a Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU.

BrandonFreeman

Re: Resolve 15 equivalent of Premiere Pro's "Rate Stretch To

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 11:55 pm

I believe once you activate the time controls, when you grab the beginning or end of a clip it stretches the time automatically to how far you pull it, similar to the rate stretch tool. At least it does for video, would need to check with audio. I have my time control shortcut mapped to Shift+R.

gafferwiles

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 10:11 pm

BrandonFreeman wrote:I believe once you activate the time controls, when you grab the beginning or end of a clip it stretches the time automatically to how far you pull it, similar to the rate stretch tool. At least it does for video, would need to check with audio. I have my time control shortcut mapped to Shift+R.

By implication I would presume that the *time* controls you are referring to is the Trim Edit Mode. This doesn't seem to do a Rate Stretch as far as I can see. Not on the Audio track that I am trying to change the speed to do lipsync. There is a "Change Clip Speed" menu option when you right-click on the audio clip, but that function is so clunky and coarse as you can only enter in percentages or change frame rates which makes it impossible to do accurate lip syncing. So my 20 minute video has audio that is out by about 1 second by the end of the clip.

Very frustrating, and the manual isn't very helpful at this time.

Noah Seta

PostThu Dec 19, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi gafferwiles,

I was looking into this issue yesterday and found a workable but not quite perfect solution. No actual tool like in Premiere Pro to preform this function (that I have found anyway).

1. While in EDIT mode, right click on the clip you would like to stretch or compress (retime).
2. Select "Retime Curve" from the menu. You will notice the clip drops down a control area below the clip.
3. Zoom in enough to see a drop-down arrow next to "Retime Frame". Click on it.
4. Select "Realtime Speed" near the bottom of the drop-down menu.
5. Hover your mouse over the new red line that appears. Should be labeled "Realtime Speed"
6. Drag it up or down to retime the clip to your desired speed. You will notice that it will move the right end of the clip forward or backward as you drag the line up or down.

I used this process to fill in gaps with footage when timing aerial footage to music. Worked great!

Hope you find this useful. If any questions about this feel free to reach back out!

Jarne G

PostWed Feb 10, 2021 7:55 pm

I know it has been a year, but I know some people will still google this and I still want to help those.

The rate stretch tool can be accessed in a few clicks:

-Go to the clip you want to 'rate stretch' and chose RETIME CONTROLS (Ctrl+r)
-From the upper part of your clip, where you can read 'Speed Change' and the title of your clip, drag the end of the clip to the desired spot.

You will see that the percentage at the bottom changes while you drag the clip.

You just succesfully used the rate stretch tool in DaVinci Resolve!

AfroBlanket

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 pm

Jarne G wrote:I know it has been a year, but I know some people will still google this and I still want to help those.

-From the upper part of your clip, where you can read 'Speed Change' and the title of your clip, drag the end of the clip to the desired spot.

How do I do that with an audio only clip?

Kenzo

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 11:41 pm

Try Elastic Wave in Fairlight.
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

Jason Conrad

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 11:49 pm

Nobody's mentioned Fairlight's "Elastic Wave" feature, which is probably more like what OP was looking for, and is also how you'd do this for an audio only clip. Switch to the Fairlight page, right-click on the clip, select "Elastic Wave" from the contextual menu, control-click somewhere within the clip to create a re-timing point, and drag it left/right to stretch. Unlike the Edit page re-time, the ends of the clip stay pinned to where they are.

AfroBlanket wrote:
Jarne G wrote:I know it has been a year, but I know some people will still google this and I still want to help those.

How do I do that with an audio only clip?
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

okiewardoyo

PostTue May 10, 2022 6:48 pm

Thanks so much Jarne, really helpfull for Premiere Pro user. Quick and to the point. Some simple tips like this that people want today, better than just suggest reading hundreds of manual Resolve pdf pages.
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

Return to DaVinci Resolve