Building a new PC for DaVinci Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tiracuoia

Building a new PC for DaVinci Resolve

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 2:18 pm

Hello all,

I'm about to build a new PC from scratch and since I'm going to be using DaVinci Resolve as my main software I wanted to know if anybody could suggest me a good setup.
Keep in mind that I'm on a budget (I'm hoping to spend no more than 1500$ on this) and that I won't be managing a lot of 4k resolution videos.
Also, I'm willing to save up money on any component that's not vital for DaVinci Resolve to work well.

Thanks!

P.S. This is my first post in the forum, if I'm in the wrong section please tell me and I will cancel this topic.

Carsten Sellberg

Re: Building a new PC for DaVinci Resolve

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 6:37 pm

Hi.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. More CUDA/OpenCL Cores are better.

For a NON 4K economy build do I have to recommend a PC with the next generation Ryzen CPU from AMD. It will be manufactured in the new 7NM process node and will both faster and cheaper to manufacture than the previous generation Ryzen. Last week AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su make a demo of it at CES. It will come with different number of cores. The problem is that it will not arrive before mid 2019. But I can tell, that it will be worth to wait for. Here is a link with more information:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13829/am ... eight-core

For non 4K work will also you need a Graphics Card with min 4 GB vRam. ether a old GTX 1050 Ti or one of the new ones from AMD that also are expected later in 2019. So I am sorry, but I can only recommend to wait to mid 2019.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

argentariihominilupus

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 7:33 pm

I've just posted a similar question, so I'm not the best person to answer your question. However, for what it's worth, there is site called Puget Systems that has some benchmarks and recommendations for Davinci Resolve that you might find useful.
Windows 10 X64 | GeForce GTX 970, 32 GB, i7-5820K | DaVinci Resolve Studio 15.2

MishaEngel

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 8:48 pm

tiracuoia wrote:Hello all,

I'm about to build a new PC from scratch and since I'm going to be using DaVinci Resolve as my main software I wanted to know if anybody could suggest me a good setup.
Keep in mind that I'm on a budget (I'm hoping to spend no more than 1500$ on this) and that I won't be managing a lot of 4k resolution videos.
Also, I'm willing to save up money on any component that's not vital for DaVinci Resolve to work well.

Thanks!

P.S. This is my first post in the forum, if I'm in the wrong section please tell me and I will cancel this topic.

Is the $1500 the computer incl case or also incl. monitors, decklink card keyboard etc..

This site can be a good start to sort things out https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

anandmodi

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 9:06 pm

I know you mentioned building something yourself, but don't overlook used OEM workstations like the HP Z8xx and dell precition t78xx lines. You can get some really hefty CPU power in those dual-socket systems for a lot less than you'd pay for similar power in new hardware.
You give up a little bit in power consumption and you might not get some more modern features like m.2 and 10gb USB, but if you can live with those compromises you can get a really powerful system together for $1500.

RCModelReviews

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 am

For what it's worth, I was looking around at building a system and then Dell had a special on the system I use. I got an i7 8700, 16GB RAM, GTX1060/6 GPU, 256GB SSD and 2TB HD all for US$1360 and it's been flawless for HD and the occasional 4K edit. Using the NVENC option it renders to H265 at anywhere between 100 and 220 FPS (depending on the amount of grading and effects) and I never see any perceptable lag or delay during the edit process.

Oh and I picked up another 16GB of generic RAM in the sales for US$87 and that's working fine too.

This thing was so cheap that if/when I upgrade to a new system using the next gen of Ryzen Threadripper, this machine will have paid for it self several times over.

I'm not a great fan of Dell gear but the deal was too good to miss.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

tiracuoia

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 10:25 am

MishaEngel wrote:
tiracuoia wrote:Hello all,

Thanks!

Is the $1500 the computer incl case or also incl. monitors, decklink card keyboard etc..

This site can be a good start to sort things out https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Just includes a new monitor!

Return to DaVinci Resolve