AAF and other codecs settings

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cadeg_rsh

AAF and other codecs settings

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Why BMD DV can't render AAF in single file like any other software?

And why so little codecs and settings are supported?

Will that ever change?

peterjackson

Re: AAF and other codecs settings

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 4:35 pm

Well, render out in DNx, Cineform, or lossless and use FFMPEG.

For me, I don't want Resolve devs to support more codecs, just frame serving to FFMPEG. Then everyone not happy with the choice of output codecs can use FFMPEG to encode to whatever they need without large intermediates.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

PieroLass

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 5:18 pm

I ask mysef the same question! why the export of aaf is so very difficult and buggy. I need an AAF to work with sound departments after editing and it's always very difficult. You get new mxf files, lots of shifts, out of sync, lots of empty tracks and no metadata from the original audio files, no way to link to them. THis need to be addressed in order to be able to use davinci for professional editor that need to collaborate with people that still use pro tools insted of fairlight.

fabriciocontreras

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 7:38 pm

Cant' find a way to import the AAF file good in Pro Tools. The exporting from DaVinci doesn't work
Fabricio
Director - Post producer on Siete Filmes

Resolve Studio 17.4.3
iMac Pro (2017)
3,2 GHz Intel Xeon W
32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

cadeg_rsh

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 11:40 pm

peterjackson wrote:Well, render out in DNx, Cineform, or lossless and use FFMPEG.

For me, I don't want Resolve devs to support more codecs, just frame serving to FFMPEG. Then everyone not happy with the choice of output codecs can use FFMPEG to encode to whatever they need without large intermediates.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

So, FFMPEG - is a very good idea, if it is built into the DV.
But AAF in one file with metadata and accurate sync - it is that thing, what need in first time.
Because Fairlight not ProTools yet. And sound edit in it not simple and clear. Because it is developed by sound engineers for sound production exactly, not for broadcast or film production.

Trensharo

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 10:12 am

I definitely would like them to support more CODECs, and with more granular encode settings. What is presented in Resolve is... not enough, and for some CODECs, barely anything at all.

Return to DaVinci Resolve