Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 12:45 am

can i get advice concerning this site for a pc build total $1,069.00. will this work if i bought these components?

i will be editing footage from my BMPCC (the original) 1080p in braw upscaling to 4k if possible.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-buil ... eo-editing
Donald Austin
Offline

VioletWolf

  • Posts: 137
  • Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:23 am
  • Location: Canada
  • Real Name: Rick Welin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 4:59 am

austindonald1 wrote:can i get advice concerning this site for a pc build total $1,069.00. will this work if i bought these components?

i will be editing footage from my BMPCC (the original) 1080p in braw upscaling to 4k if possible.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-buil ... eo-editing


That page and recipe in your link are over a year old though. I would look for newer information as there are better parts available now. NVidia now has an "RXT" line of graphics cards for instance.

You could look at a custom Davinci system's parts list on Puget Systems website and then buy the essentials on their list on amazon etc. ;)
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommende ... 87/Buy_214
Resolve 15.2.4 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD 9590 - 5ghz 8 Core | 24GB | MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig
Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects
Offline

VioletWolf

  • Posts: 137
  • Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:23 am
  • Location: Canada
  • Real Name: Rick Welin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 5:05 am

This might be a more useful page on Puget. It lists performance on an array of different component options for Davinci. Just go through the lists and shop around for a price level of parts you can afford:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommende ... mendations

.
Resolve 15.2.4 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD 9590 - 5ghz 8 Core | 24GB | MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig
Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects
Offline

zackowl

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:32 am
  • Real Name: Zack Owl

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 5:52 am

I am going to buy this iMac, does it work better with 4K footage or lower footage ? If not , what should I upgrade ? Tks everyone.
iMac 27inch 5K MK482 (2016) i5 3.3 /Ram 8Gb/HDD 2TB Fusion
Processor:3.3GHz quad‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz)
Memory:8GB (two 4GB) of 1867MHz DDR3 memory; four SO-DIMM slots, user accessible; Configurable to 16GB or 32GB.
Graphics and Video Support:AMD Radeon R9 M395 graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
Storage:2TB Fusion Drive
Display :27-inch (diagonal) Retina display with IPS technology; 5120‑by‑2880 resolution with support for millions of colors
Offline
User avatar

Australian Image

  • Posts: 2139
  • Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 am
  • Warnings: 1
  • Real Name: Ray Pollanen

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 7:48 am

I thought I'd just throw in my two bob's worth. Last year I replaced my aging Windows 10 desktop with an MSI 17" gaming laptop (model not available anymore), with i7-7700HQ processor, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 GPU with 6GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, etc. It runs Resolve without issue, including 4K, though if you use NR, it does slow down. The laptop cost AU$2200, half the price of a Macbook Pro with lower specs.

If I had to do it again, the only thing I'd look at getting is more RAM. I'm not so fussed that it has a 1080p screen, as the quality is pretty good and, as it's also my work laptop, 4K would make things a tad hard to read. Had I wanted to spend AU$4000 on a laptop, I would have probably gone for a high end Alienware.

The reason why I chose a laptop over a desktop is because we often have brownouts and blackouts, as well as all too frequent planned outages and overall increasingly unreliable power, that having a desktop means I'm suddenly put out of action when the power fails (even with an UPS). If the power goes out, I can now keep working while the power is sorted out.
https://australianimage.com.au/
Offline

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 6459
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:08 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 8:23 am

zackowl wrote:I am going to buy this iMac, does it work better with 4K footage or lower footage ? If not , what should I upgrade ? Tks everyone.
iMac 27inch 5K MK482 (2016) i5 3.3 /Ram 8Gb/HDD 2TB Fusion
Processor:3.3GHz quad‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz)
Memory:8GB (two 4GB) of 1867MHz DDR3 memory; four SO-DIMM slots, user accessible; Configurable to 16GB or 32GB.
Graphics and Video Support:AMD Radeon R9 M395 graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
Storage:2TB Fusion Drive
Display :27-inch (diagonal) Retina display with IPS technology; 5120‑by‑2880 resolution with support for millions of colors


For 4K footage I recommend 4GB or more of GPU memory, and 16 GB system memory as a minimum.
So, not this configuration.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager
Offline

Carsten Sellberg

  • Posts: 857
  • Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 10:34 am

austindonald1 wrote: can i get advice concerning this site for a pc build total $1,069.00. will this work if i bought these components?


Hi.

The $1,069 is a joke to attract readers. The real cost is mention in what he call 'Overkill (fast and expensive) build' to $2,146.48.

But I suggest you look at the total cost Hardware and Software. The $2,146.48. is just for the Hardware. Then you will have to add the price for a Adobe Premiere Pro and it is really expensive and it can't even read the BRaw files coming out of the black magic 4 k pocket camera.

Suggest you wait for the 3rd version of the coming Ryzen CPU and use the Studio version of Resolve that are included with the black magic 4 k pocket camera.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostThu Mar 28, 2019 4:25 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
austindonald1 wrote: can i get advice concerning this site for a pc build total $1,069.00. will this work if i bought these components?


Hi.

The $1,069 is a joke to attract readers. The real cost is mention in what he call 'Overkill (fast and expensive) build' to $2,146.48.

But I suggest you look at the total cost Hardware and Software. The $2,146.48. is just for the Hardware. Then you will have to add the price for a Adobe Premiere Pro and it is really expensive and it can't even read the BRaw files coming out of the black magic 4 k pocket camera.

Suggest you wait for the 3rd version of the coming Ryzen CPU and use the Studio version of Resolve that are included with the black magic 4 k pocket camera.

Regards Carsten.

while waiting on the bmpcc4k pre order, i bought a bmpcc, but i geuss i should have the right equipment to edit both, does the original bmpcc also have braw capabilities?
Donald Austin
Offline

Carsten Sellberg

  • Posts: 857
  • Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostThu Mar 28, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi.

I still suggest you wait for the 3rd version of the coming Ryzen CPU as it will be perfect for editing and grading for both the bmpcc and the bmpcc4k. I only read about the bmpcc. It don't have braw capability and will never get it, as its internal processor is to weak.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostSat Mar 30, 2019 12:38 am

Carsten Sellberg wrote:Hi.

I still suggest you wait for the 3rd version of the coming Ryzen CPU as it will be perfect for editing and grading for both the bmpcc and the bmpcc4k. I only read about the bmpcc. It don't have braw capability and will never get it, as its internal processor is to weak.

Regards Carsten.


While studying Ryzen information, i came across:
Base Unit- Ryzen 3
Mid range- Ryzen 5
High performance- Ryzen 7
High performance models can have 8 cores/16 threads

Are you saying i should wait for the high performance model (Ryzen 7)?
Donald Austin
Offline

MishaEngel

  • Posts: 938
  • Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:18 am
  • Real Name: Misha Engel

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostSat Mar 30, 2019 1:33 am

austindonald1 wrote:
Carsten Sellberg wrote:Hi.

I still suggest you wait for the 3rd version of the coming Ryzen CPU as it will be perfect for editing and grading for both the bmpcc and the bmpcc4k. I only read about the bmpcc. It don't have braw capability and will never get it, as its internal processor is to weak.

Regards Carsten.


While studying Ryzen information, i came across:
Base Unit- Ryzen 3
Mid range- Ryzen 5
High performance- Ryzen 7
High performance models can have 8 cores/16 threads

Are you saying i should wait for the high performance model (Ryzen 7)?


Ryzen 7 is fast enough for BRAW https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-CPU-Roundup-Intel-vs-AMD-vs-Mac-1310/
Next gen top of the line Ryzen is about twice as fast according to the rumors https://i.redd.it/1scd64bioy121.jpg
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 4:41 pm

austindonald1 wrote:
Carsten Sellberg wrote:
austindonald1 wrote:im a little confused... is a 'Gaming PC' seperate from a desktop Windows 10 PC??

Should I be focused on a Gaming PC rather than a Windows 10 PC??


Hi Donald.

Yes, a Gaming PC is different from other desktop Windows 10 PCs.

Yes, You better look for a Gaming PC rather than a general Windows 10 PC.
But not a plain Gaming PC. Resolve will run faster if you add a few extra components, as more RAM and 2-3 pcs. M.2 NVMe x4 SSD's.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve do not use the graphics card to play games, but does all its image processing in the CUDA cores on the graphics card. That is the reason that more CUDA Cores are better.

I think the best and cheapest way for you will be, if you can find a small local Computer shop or Computer Repair workshop that will build and test a PC for you, if you self buy and receive all the needed components. Then we can together make a list what you need to buy and where.
This way we can both take advantages of nice offers and chose the the best components.

An alternative way will be to ask for an offer for a prebuild and tested Resolve build. But then you must expect the shop will make a profit on every components the sell you.

The reason that I suggest one of the above two possibilities is that on my previous NewEgg.com link I see two Gaming PCs with AMD Threadripper 1920X CPU's. It is a 1st generation CPU and the original price was 799$. But as it is a 1st generation CPU is the price now reduced to 420$. But I can't
see the total cost to be reduced with 380$.

I also have an other comment to the prices in my previous post. AMD have both a Mainline and a High End Desktop line of CPU's. The Mainline of CPU's is called Ryzen and the High End Desktop line of CPU's is called Threadripper. The price difference between a a low end Threadripper and a Top Ryzen
is only around 315$. So I will clearly recommend the Threadripper. Here is the calculation of this difference:

$424.79 AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5 GHz 12-Core Processor
$69.90 Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3 or Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 cooler from Amazon.com
$249.99 ASRock X399 Taichi motherboard

$309.99 AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
$0.00 AMD Wraith Prism Cooler Included
$119.89 Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING motherboard

Regards Carsten.

Thanks Carsten for helping me with tech things come into focus a little more (so to speak:).

Can i use the ryzen 7?

would a mid tower pc case work with the AMD Ryzen 7 and the X470 AORUS Ultra gaming motherboard?... any PC case recommendations?
Donald Austin
Offline
User avatar

Jean Claude

  • Posts: 2615
  • Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:41 pm
  • Location: France

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 4:53 pm

austindonald1 wrote:... any PC case recommendations?

Hello,

The widest with as many fans as possible and if possible oriented towards the GPU and CPU.

When rendering that lasts a long time, it's always painful to see that the system slowed down because of overheating ...

(do not forget to have a PSU largely dimensioned: platinum to have a real view of the PSU capabilities ...)
:)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Offline

Carsten Sellberg

  • Posts: 857
  • Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 5:22 pm

austindonald1 wrote: Can i use the ryzen 7?

would a mid tower pc case work with the AMD Ryzen 7 and the X470 AORUS Ultra gaming motherboard?... any PC case recommendations?


Hi Donald.

Yes you can use the Ryzen 7. AMD have manufactured 3 different generations of the Ryzen 7. I suggest you wait for the new 3rd generation Ryzen 7, as it it both faster and cheaper to manufacture. AMD have confirmed it will arrive mid 2019.

Yes mid tower pc cases will work with all generations of the Ryzen 7.

I don't know if the X470 AORUS Ultra gaming motherboard will work with the 3 rd generation Ryzen 7. May be, May be not.

But I will not recommend any X470 motherboards. I will instead recommend you to look at the coming X570 motherbaords with its improved I/O.
They will all be better for Resolve with a Ryzen 7. Here is a link with a leak of just some of the coming X570 Motherboards:

https://videocardz.com/newz/upcoming-as ... therboards

There are 12 Asus and 9 ASRock X570 motherboards in this link. And motherboards from both Gigabyte and MSI will follow.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K
Offline

CJI_Video

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:29 am
  • Real Name: Chris Ivanov

Re: Minimum / Best computer requirements for Davinci Resolve

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 9:31 am

Hello,

I have just received my BMPCC4K after waiting over 5 months for it so am very keen to get Resolve 15 set up on my iMac.

After reading several of the messages on here it appears my system may need some upgrading to run Resolve 15 smoothly. Are you able to please advise which components I should look at upgrading to ensure I'm not pulling my hair out when using Resolve? I plan to shoot / edit using the new Blackmagic RAW codec / file format. Following below are my current system specs along with my desired changes. Would be great if you could make any necessary tweaks / suggestions to my suggested upgrades:

CURRENT SYSTEM:
iMac 27-inch, Late 2012. 3.4GHz Intel Core i7. Model Identifier iMac 13,2

macOS 10.9.5 (I know its old but have had to keep so my Adobe CS6 products and plugins continue to work)

32GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB

1TB internal HDD SATA 7200 Rotational + External SSD drive for media/cache management


DESIRED UPDATES:
[remains] iMac 27-inch, Late 2012. 3.4GHz Intel Core i7. Model Identifier iMac 13,2

[update] macOS 10.14.3 (or is it better to be on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 update?)

[remains] 32GB 1600 MHz DDR3

[update] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB (is going from the already installed 675MX to the 680MX even possible? I noticed in the Apple official tech specifications that my model iMac is configurable to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX but not sure what this means exactly)

[update] Add/install 500GB SSD in PCI Slot and retain current 1TB internal HDD SATA OR Replace existing HDD to SSD 1TB with no install of 500GB SSD slot? OR are there benefits in doing both i.e. Installing both the 500GB SSD in PCI Slot AND replacing the existing internal drive to a SSD 1TB + continue to use existing external SSD drive for media/cache management

Any guidance would be appreciated. Apologies for the long message!!
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 10:11 pm

MishaEngel wrote:
austindonald1 wrote:
Carsten Sellberg wrote:Hi.

I still suggest you wait for the 3rd version of the coming Ryzen CPU as it will be perfect for editing and grading for both the bmpcc and the bmpcc4k. I only read about the bmpcc. It don't have braw capability and will never get it, as its internal processor is to weak.

Regards Carsten.


While studying Ryzen information, i came across:
Base Unit- Ryzen 3
Mid range- Ryzen 5
High performance- Ryzen 7
High performance models can have 8 cores/16 threads

Are you saying i should wait for the high performance model (Ryzen 7)?




Ryzen 7 is fast enough for BRAW https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-CPU-Roundup-Intel-vs-AMD-vs-Mac-1310/
Next gen top of the line Ryzen is about twice as fast according to the rumors https://i.redd.it/1scd64bioy121.jpg


Are there 2 different Ryzen 7's...either one?
ill have to read up more so i know better what im talking about...
Donald Austin
Offline

Carsten Sellberg

  • Posts: 857
  • Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 9:06 am

austindonald1 wrote: Are there 2 different Ryzen 7's...either one?
ill have to read up more so i know better what im talking about...


Hi.

Donald You read what I write very well. I have never seen it that way, but YES there are actually 2 different Ryzen 7's. The 1st and current 2nd generation, that you can read about on the internet. And the coming 3rd generation Ryzen which AMD President and CEO Dr. Lisa Su at May 27 at 10:00 AM, will tell us more about in her 2019 COMPUTEX keynote.
It will be both faster, cheaper to manufacture and will be the Ryzen 7 to chose, togetter with one of the coming X570 motherboards..

Many rumors on the internet expect, that she also will launch it on the 27. May.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K
Offline

Carsten Sellberg

  • Posts: 857
  • Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Minimum / Best computer requirements for Davinci Resolve

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 9:17 am

CJI_Video wrote: Any guidance would be appreciated. Apologies for the long message!!


Hi Chris.

Resolve can run on MAC, Windows and some Linux distribution. We all share the same forum without any problems.
But I personally don't know any thing about MAC's and your post is hided in a windows thread. I am not sure any with MAC knowledge will see it.
Can I suggest you make you own thread and in the heading write it is for MAC?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostSat Apr 06, 2019 2:01 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
austindonald1 wrote: Are there 2 different Ryzen 7's...either one?
ill have to read up more so i know better what im talking about...


Hi.

Donald You read what I write very well. I have never seen it that way, but YES there are actually 2 different Ryzen 7's. The 1st and current 2nd generation, that you can read about on the internet. And the coming 3rd generation Ryzen which AMD President and CEO Dr. Lisa Su at May 27 at 10:00 AM, will tell us more about in her 2019 COMPUTEX keynote.
It will be both faster, cheaper to manufacture and will be the Ryzen 7 to chose, togetter with one of the coming X570 motherboards..

Many rumors on the internet expect, that she also will launch it on the 27. May.

Regards Carsten.


thanks, i was afraid my lack of understanding may cause you to become frustrated with responding.
Donald Austin
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 12:46 am

4k editing PC with Ryzen 7 for under a $1000... too good to be true??

Donald Austin
Offline

Carsten Sellberg

  • Posts: 857
  • Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 3:04 am

Hi Donald.

I am sorry to tell, but you just wasted 12 minutes of my time, by posting the link to the YouTube video. Time I could use to help others.

Suggest you next time you post videos do it an another thread, as I see this thread is for helping you to get a PC for your coming PCC 4K.

But now I started waisting my time, I better comment on it.

He is using a Ryzen 1700, It is a nice 8 core CPU from the previous generation. At the time of launch it was one of the Top Ryzen CPU's. But you can't easy upgrade it to a faster one, if you some time in the future want to upgrade. The 3rd generation Ryzen will come in 6, 8, 12 and 16 core versions. So it will much easier to upgrade.

He call it a 4K beast. But the GTX 1060 6GB used is not good for 4K work. You can do some simple 4K operation. But the GTX 1060 6GB is below recommendation for 4K.

He has choosing the wrong SSD. It is a slow SATA version, even if he for the same price, could get a fast NVMe SSD.


If you an another time want my comment on a setup.

Please make a short list of all the components used together with the software, so I fast can check what it is about, and not waist 12 minutes of my time. Time I could have used to help others.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K
Offline

olegphoto

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:19 am
  • Location: Paris,France
  • Real Name: Oleg Covian

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 7:03 am

Yes that guy with all that dog hair in his computer I wouldn't trust. :D :D :D

Im in the same situation my iMac can't handle BMCCP4k raw files.

What do you think of this combination, it is below 1500 euros. My budget is 2000 so what would you upgrade from her, I have plenty of Ssd cards Sandisk Plus.

Also Im a mac user I would like to do a Hackintosh from this. Or should I just go for the iMac full specked at 3800 euros?

Gigabyte Z390 Designare Carte mère Intel Z390 Socket 1151
Intel Core i7-8700K Processeur (Vitesse d'horloge 3,7 GHz
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Go (2x16Go) DDR4 3000MHz C15 XMP 2.0 Kit de
Samsung SSD Interne 970 EVO NVMe M.2 (500 Go) - MZ-V7E500BW ( for APP)
Sapphire 11276-02-40G Carte graphique ATI RADEON RX VEGA 56 Plus
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W, Fully Modular,
GOLDEN FIELD – Z21 E-ATX/ATX/M-ATX/ITX Mid-Tower

Im going to make another post for this !
Last edited by olegphoto on Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Processor 3,6 GHz Memory
64GB 3600 DDR4
GPU radeon Vega 64 8 gb
SSD Samsng 970 Evo Nvme 1 tb
BMCCP4K
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 3:37 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:Hi Donald.

I am sorry to tell, but you just wasted 12 minutes of my time, by posting the link to the YouTube video. Time I could use to help others.

Suggest you next time you post videos do it an another thread, as I see this thread is for helping you to get a PC for your coming PCC 4K.

But now I started waisting my time, I better comment on it.

He is using a Ryzen 1700, It is a nice 8 core CPU from the previous generation. At the time of launch it was one of the Top Ryzen CPU's. But you can't easy upgrade it to a faster one, if you some time in the future want to upgrade. The 3rd generation Ryzen will come in 6, 8, 12 and 16 core versions. So it will much easier to upgrade.
He call it a 4K beast. But the GTX 1060 6GB used is not good for 4K work. You can do some simple 4K operation. But the GTX 1060 6GB is below recommendation for 4K.

He has choosing the wrong SSD. It is a slow SATA version, even if he for the same price, could get a fast NVMe SSD.


If you an another time want my comment on a setup.

Please make a short list of all the components used together with the software, so I fast can check what it is about, and not waist 12 minutes of my time. Time I could have used to help others.

Regards Carsten.

You are helping others by reviewing this video because someone posting a video of what components they use, can teach others what components not to use, such as a wrong SSD slow SATA version, a term I'm not familiar with, until now.
But i understand it's not a good habit to get into.

i'm going to create a list of the parts when I'm ready to order but also need to learn the compatible PC case, and maybe other compatible components (components i'm not yet familiar with).
Donald Austin
Offline
User avatar

Jean Claude

  • Posts: 2615
  • Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:41 pm
  • Location: France

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Hello,

I only recommend one thing:
The biggest GPU(s) possible.
Davinci Resolve is a very big GPU consumer.
(I think it will take more and more GPUs)

After, there will be necessarily (small, medium) bottlenecks around the CPU and RAM (HDD?) but at least no GPU FULL? :?
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Offline

Carsten Sellberg

  • Posts: 857
  • Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 5:14 pm

olegphoto wrote: Im in the same situation my iMac can't handle BMCCP4k raw files.

What do you think of this combination, it is below 1500 euros. My budget is 2000


Hi Oleg.

I can't see you case is the same as Donalds case. I will suggest you make your own thread for a more personal advice.

But some time ago I read this link on how Apple properly will will go to ARM, which I like to share with you:

https://www.imore.com/how-mac-will-go-arm

ARM Cpu's are not to day. And will not it the near future be powerful enough to run Resolve. I don't know what plans Apple have for its Power Users?

And I don't like the Intel main line motherboards as the Z390. It have to few PCI lanes for Resolve for my liking.

You write that you consider a Hackintosh stýstem and list some parts. I am not sure, that I see any future for Hackintosh if Apple go with ARM?

I believe that Resolve run very well on Intel or AMD Top HEDT systems or the coming AMD 3rd generation Ryzen system with PCIe version 4.0 , which will have the double PCI lane bandwith of the current PCIe version 3.0 motherboards. If you don't like Windows, can you properly run it on the CentOS Linux distribution.

And I will again suggest you make your own thread.

Regards Carsten.
Last edited by Carsten Sellberg on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
URSA Mini 4.6K
Offline

CJI_Video

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:29 am
  • Real Name: Chris Ivanov

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for getting back to me. I will update the heading to include it's for Mac and post my own thread.

Cheers,
Chris
Offline
User avatar

Andrew Welch

  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 3:45 am

I'm a bit concerned that some people in this thread aren't taking your computer/tech skill level or your needs into consideration.

1) You said that you want to "...create cinematic looking indoor portraits/stills/headshots" and "create cinematic looking short films for fun/as a hobby".
First off- You know that the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K and Davinci Resolve are not ideal tools for still photography, right? In fact, they are very poor choices. As for short films, the Blackmagic Products are great for that! I think we can safely assume that you won't be grading any television shows or feature films anytime soon, right? Your first films will be very short, maybe 5 minutes at most. You won't need a super powerful computer to edit and grade them, even shooting in 4K ProRes or Blackmagic Raw.

2) No offense, but with your level of technical knowledge you will certainly have a very, very difficult time building a PC and setting it up to work reliably and efficiently with Resolve. I highly recommend that you get a 27" Retina iMac and forget about building a PC. The iMac will be more than powerful enough for what you intend to do now (and in the foreseeable future) and it will be much less trouble to setup. In fact, there really isn't setup required, you just turn it on, install Resolve and you're ready to go.
Offline

Carsten Sellberg

  • Posts: 857
  • Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 7:38 am

Andrew Welch wrote: 2) No offense, but with your level of technical knowledge you will certainly have a very, very difficult time building a PC


Hi.

I am not sure, but can you please tell me if 4K video work in Resolve, also for Apple will requere a graphics card with 8 GB vRam?

And for you information, I can't see anywhere, that Donald is going to build a PC himself. Have you ever head about computer builders?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K
Offline
User avatar

Andrew Welch

  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 6:22 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
Hi.

I am not sure, but can you please tell me if 4K video work in Resolve, also for Apple will requere a graphics card with 8 GB vRam?

And for you information, I can't see anywhere, that Donald is going to build a PC himself. Have you ever head about computer builders?

Regards Carsten.


1) Yes, Resolve Studio can work with resolutions up to and including 8K. The free version is limited to UHD “4K”, so 4K DCI isn’t supported. As for your Apple system requirements. Technically, Resolve will run on almost anything but the hardware requirements for acceptable performance will depend on a number of factors including your project length, complexity, resolution, codecs, etc. You don’t technically need 8GB of VRAM to edit or do simple grades in 4K, my old mid-2015 MBP with 2GB of VRAM can do that. However, when you start adding multiple video streams and GPU intensive effects (noise reduction, motion blur or even film grain), your performance will drop drastically. For example, my MBP can playback 4K ProRes files at full speed up to 60fps. However, when I add a film grain effect, the frame rate goes down to 1 or 2 frames per second! This is why more powerful GPUs with large amounts of VRAM are required for anything but simple editing and grading.

2) Top of page 2- austindonald1- “can i get advice concerning this site for a pc build total $1,069.00. will this work if i bought these components?”
Resolve is designed to run on Macs and the majority of people running it use Macs. In fact, the user interface is designed specifically with the 5K Apple display in mind. Macs require no setup to run Resolve and they are very stable. I won’t argue that a well built and spec’d PC that is set up specifically for Resolve can be a beast performance wise but they are typically much more expensive ($2000+ monitor is his budget right?) than an iMac and overpowered for what he needs. As for building one himself or buying an off-the-shelf PC- What if there is a hardware conflict? Bios settings that need to be changed? Unexplained crashes of Resolve or performance issues? Will Donald be able to address these issues himself?
This is why I believe an iMac is best for Donald. It is solid package that is reliable and requires virtually no technical literacy to use or maintain.
Offline

Carsten Sellberg

  • Posts: 857
  • Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 8:00 am

Andrew Welch wrote: I won’t argue that a well built and spec’d PC that is set up specifically for Resolve can be a beast performance wise but they are typically much more expensive ...

As for building one himself or buying an off-the-shelf PC- What if there is a hardware conflict? Bios settings that need to be changed? ...


Hi Andrew.

I will like to answer you comment on an off-the-shelf PC first. I will not recommend an off-the-shelf PC to Donald, primary because they all will come with to little RAM for Resolve. I have not yet ask Donald in whish part of the world he lives in?
But if he lives in US will a Custom Built Computers: Windows, Linux and Servers to 150$ at MicroCenter, be a nice choice. Here is a link:

https://www.microcenter.com/site/servic ... build.aspx

They have physical stores in 14 states in the US. I have follow their prices for a while. They follow the other internet shops, when the market prices go down. And I am sure they know how to setup the BIOS, for the motherboard they sell.

Until now Resolve run very well on both Intel and AMD top HEDT line for computers with their many PCI lanes. But for the Main line, Intel only have 16 and AMD only 20 PCI lanes. But in mid 2019 will AMD come with the 3rd generation Ryzen 7 CPU's manufactured in the 7nm process node, that both will be faster and come with PCIe version 4.0 interface. PCIe version 4.0 will have the double bandwith of the current PCIe version 3.0. So from mid 2019 will we don't need as many PCI lanes, as the previous generation of motherboards.


To answer you first comment, 'they are typically much more expensive', have I this morning tried to make a preliminary part list of a Resolve PC with 3rd generation Ryzen 7. I hope you and other forum members, will like to comment on it. Here is the first version of this part list


Custom Built Computers - Windows, Linux and Servers to 150$ at MicroCenter.

CPU: AMD - Coming 3rd gen Ryzen 6 core CPU manufactured in the new 7nm Process node.
Motherboard: Coming X570 motherboard with PCIe ver 4.0 Interface
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory, Flare RAM is made specially for AMD CPU's

Storage:
WD Black 250GB High-Performance NVMe PCIe Internal SSD - M.2 2280, Windows and Resolve.
Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive, Scratch Drive for temporary files.
Toshiba - X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, Cost today the same as a 4 TB drive.
Toshiba - X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, Many will say one is enough, but I like two.

Video Card: Coming AMD Navi Video Card with 8 GB vRam and manufactured in the new 7nm Process node,
or a Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card, as I don't yet know the launch date of the coming Navi Video Cards.
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case, Choosed one with top rating.
Power Supply: EVGA - 600B 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply, EVGA make really good PC components.
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit, BMD Recommend the PRO version.
Software: Davinci Resolve Studio, Is included with the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K.
Monitor: Dell - SE2216H 21.5" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor, As I think that a 1920x1080 monitor is enough for Resolve.

Estimated cost $1782 in the US.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 1:15 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
Andrew Welch wrote: I won’t argue that a well built and spec’d PC that is set up specifically for Resolve can be a beast performance wise but they are typically much more expensive ...

As for building one himself or buying an off-the-shelf PC- What if there is a hardware conflict? Bios settings that need to be changed? ...


Hi Andrew.

I will like to answer you comment on an off-the-shelf PC first. I will not recommend an off-the-shelf PC to Donald, primary because they all will come with to little RAM for Resolve. I have not yet ask Donald in whish part of the world he lives in?
But if he lives in US will a Custom Built Computers: Windows, Linux and Servers to 150$ at MicroCenter, be a nice choice. Here is a link:

https://www.microcenter.com/site/servic ... build.aspx

They have physical stores in 14 states in the US. I have follow their prices for a while. They follow the other internet shops, when the market prices go down. And I am sure they know how to setup the BIOS, for the motherboard they sell.

Until now Resolve run very well on both Intel and AMD top HEDT line for computers with their many PCI lanes. But for the Main line, Intel only have 16 and AMD only 20 PCI lanes. But in mid 2019 will AMD come with the 3rd generation Ryzen 7 CPU's manufactured in the 7nm process node, that both will be faster and come with PCIe version 4.0 interface. PCIe version 4.0 will have the double bandwith of the current PCIe version 3.0. So from mid 2019 will we don't need as many PCI lanes, as the previous generation of motherboards.


To answer you first comment, 'they are typically much more expensive', have I this morning tried to make a preliminary part list of a Resolve PC with 3rd generation Ryzen 7. I hope you and other forum members, will like to comment on it. Here is the first version of this part list


Custom Built Computers - Windows, Linux and Servers to 150$ at MicroCenter.

CPU: AMD - Coming 3rd gen Ryzen 6 core CPU manufactured in the new 7nm Process node.
Motherboard: Coming X570 motherboard with PCIe ver 4.0 Interface
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory, Flare RAM is made specially for AMD CPU's

Storage:
WD Black 250GB High-Performance NVMe PCIe Internal SSD - M.2 2280, Windows and Resolve.
Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive, Scratch Drive for temporary files.
Toshiba - X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, Cost today the same as a 4 TB drive.
Toshiba - X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, Many will say one is enough, but I like two.

Video Card: Coming AMD Navi Video Card with 8 GB vRam and manufactured in the new 7nm Process node,
or a Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card, as I don't yet know the launch date of the coming Navi Video Cards.
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case, Choosed one with top rating.
Power Supply: EVGA - 600B 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply, EVGA make really good PC components.
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit, BMD Recommend the PRO version.
Software: Davinci Resolve Studio, Is included with the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K.
Monitor: Dell - SE2216H 21.5" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor, As I think that a 1920x1080 monitor is enough for Resolve.

Estimated cost $1782 in the US.

Regards Carsten.

the Store you listed is only 30 minutes from my house, and its only 150.00 to build a pc with the parts you listed for $1,782?
Donald Austin
Offline

Carsten Sellberg

  • Posts: 857
  • Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 1:46 pm

austindonald1 wrote: the Store you listed is only 30 minutes from my house, and its only 150.00 to build a pc with the parts you listed for $1,782?


Hi Donald.

That is good news. You must understand that my part list is very preliminary, writing it while I had my breakfast. I will improve it in the following weeks, but I am sure it will fit within your budget. You must also understand that the MicroCenter only will build you a PC if you buy all the parts from them. That will require other adjustments. But I think you are on the right way.

The different MicroCenters have different parts in stock. Please tell my which store, that only are 30 minutes from your house, so I can start to look at their stocks.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
austindonald1 wrote: the Store you listed is only 30 minutes from my house, and its only 150.00 to build a pc with the parts you listed for $1,782?


Hi Donald.

That is good news. You must understand that my part list is very preliminary, writing it while I had my breakfast. I will improve it in the following weeks, but I am sure it will fit within your budget. You must also understand that the MicroCenter only will build you a PC if you buy all the parts from them. That will require other adjustments. But I think you are on the right way.

The different MicroCenters have different parts in stock. Please tell my which store, that only are 30 minutes from your house, so I can start to look at their stocks.

Regards Carsten.


i see a Micro Center in Parkville, Md. That's the one about 30 minutes from my house.
Donald Austin
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 10:24 pm

Andrew Welch wrote:I'm a bit concerned that some people in this thread aren't taking your computer/tech skill level or your needs into consideration.

1) You said that you want to "...create cinematic looking indoor portraits/stills/headshots" and "create cinematic looking short films for fun/as a hobby".
First off- You know that the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K and Davinci Resolve are not ideal tools for still photography, right? In fact, they are very poor choices. As for short films, the Blackmagic Products are great for that! I think we can safely assume that you won't be grading any television shows or feature films anytime soon, right? Your first films will be very short, maybe 5 minutes at most. You won't need a super powerful computer to edit and grade them, even shooting in 4K ProRes or Blackmagic Raw.

2) No offense, but with your level of technical knowledge you will certainly have a very, very difficult time building a PC and setting it up to work reliably and efficiently with Resolve. I highly recommend that you get a 27" Retina iMac and forget about building a PC. The iMac will be more than powerful enough for what you intend to do now (and in the foreseeable future) and it will be much less trouble to setup. In fact, there really isn't setup required, you just turn it on, install Resolve and you're ready to go.


i may be considering this option.
i want to focus my energy on learning how to edit in resolve more than i want to learn how to build my own pc.
Is this the one you speak of? does this work with resolve 16?
dont know if link is coming up. its at walmart for 1,197.00


https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iMac-2 ... *X6Fwho90A
Donald Austin
Offline
User avatar

Andrew Welch

  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 12:09 am

Unfortunately, that one won’t run Resolve well. What is your budget for a computer and monitor? Remember, the iMac includes a very color accurate 5K monitor that would cost $1000+ if purchased separately, so keep that in mind.
Offline
User avatar

Sarasota

  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:46 am
  • Location: Sarasota, FL
  • Real Name: Terrance Glatz

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 11:30 am

Also keep your local E-Cycling centers in mind, I've found some treasures there for dirt cheap... Most of the time you'll find junk, but there are some diamonds-in-the-rough to be had if you look hard enough.
Z370 7 rev1.0 | i7 8700k | 64gb ram | GTX 1080 | Decklink Studio 4k 6G | MOTO PCIe 424 with 24 i/O - 2x 896mk3 - 1x 828 mk2 - Blacklion Mods | Win 10 Pro | Display drivers: 431.70 CRD | DR Studio 16.1.
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 1:17 am

Andrew Welch wrote:Unfortunately, that one won’t run Resolve well. What is your budget for a computer and monitor? Remember, the iMac includes a very color accurate 5K monitor that would cost $1000+ if purchased separately, so keep that in mind.

i have a 27 inch hp 1080p monitor i was going to use, so i thought i could get the smaller imac instead of the 27 inch to save on cost

i have the original bmpcc not the 4k version
Donald Austin
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 4:13 pm

Technically, im not editing in 4k, i will be filming with the original 1080p pocket camera and upscale to 4k (mostly trying for quality 1080p editing...

I believe this will save me on the cost and then maybe upgrade later on when i buy the 4k pocket camera.

so i guess i cant really upgrade an imac, so here i am back to the computer build, what the heck, even if it takes me the rest of my life to figure out the build, then ill have the the rest of my life to build, lol

i wish my head would stop spinning
Donald Austin
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 4:54 pm

my brain is still having trouble grasping this hi tech pc stuff, very frustrating.

maybe i need a different approach to learning... i'm wondering if they sell a Pc editor with Ryzen 7 dictionary, with all of the words and symbols so i can just carry it with me and occasionally read it, hoping the information will download in my brain and stick.
Donald Austin
Offline
User avatar

Andrew Welch

  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 6:52 pm

austindonald1 wrote:Technically, im not editing in 4k, i will be filming with the original 1080p pocket camera and upscale to 4k (mostly trying for quality 1080p editing...


Why would you want to upscale to UHD/4K if you shot everything in 1080? You won't really gain anything as far as image quality goes but you will end up with a much larger file size.
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 9:22 pm

Andrew Welch wrote:
austindonald1 wrote:Technically, im not editing in 4k, i will be filming with the original 1080p pocket camera and upscale to 4k (mostly trying for quality 1080p editing...


Why would you want to upscale to UHD/4K if you shot everything in 1080? You won't really gain anything as far as image quality goes but you will end up with a much larger file size.


well, i just learned something new, thanks... so i guess ill be sticking with 1080p PC edit build for now, and in the future, upgrade for the new 4k pocket camera.
Donald Austin
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 9:27 pm

I was going to follow the PC build from this you tube channel, looks like he goes into detail with building.

If anyone has any objections on parts being used, please speak up.

Ill be using it for my BMPCC 1080p (and hope to be able to use it when I edit with a BMPCC4k sometime in the future).

Donald Austin
Offline
User avatar

Andrew Welch

  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:00 am

Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostSat Apr 27, 2019 4:03 pm

This video is two years old, so a couple of the components aren’t available or should be changed to newer versions.

Here is a list I made for you on PCPartPicker. (It doesn’t include Windows or a mouse and keyboard since I wasn’t sure if you had those already). All of the parts are available from Amazon and Newegg.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qxctZR

Case: The case listed is no longer available on Amazon, get the one on the list instead.

CPU: The same as recommended in the video.

CPU cooler: Same as recommended in the video.

Motherboard: I kept this the same since it is the one used in the tutorial and changing it could make building more difficult for you.

RAM: You can get faster memory for the same price. I put it on the list.

Storage/SSD: Substituted for a 512GB WD EX920. Faster, double the capacity and less expensive.

GPU: Radeon Vega 56. Much more powerful than that other card.

Power Supply: No longer available so I substituted a similar one.

Total: Approximately $1050 (plus tax and shipping). Note: The total on the list says $963 but that isn’t including the motherboard which is listed as out of stock but you can purchase it separately on Amazon for about $85.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 11:12 pm

Andrew Welch wrote:This video is two years old, so a couple of the components aren’t available or should be changed to newer versions.

Here is a list I made for you on PCPartPicker. (It doesn’t include Windows or a mouse and keyboard since I wasn’t sure if you had those already). All of the parts are available from Amazon and Newegg.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qxctZR

Case: The case listed is no longer available on Amazon, get the one on the list instead.

CPU: The same as recommended in the video.

CPU cooler: Same as recommended in the video.

Motherboard: I kept this the same since it is the one used in the tutorial and changing it could make building more difficult for you.

RAM: You can get faster memory for the same price. I put it on the list.

Storage/SSD: Substituted for a 512GB WD EX920. Faster, double the capacity and less expensive.

GPU: Radeon Vega 56. Much more powerful than that other card.


Power Supply: No longer available so I substituted a similar one.

Total: Approximately $1050 (plus tax and shipping). Note: The total on the list says $963 but that isn’t including the motherboard which is listed as out of stock but you can purchase it separately on Amazon for about $85.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


thanks Andrew, should i buy the keyboard made for Davinci editing someone mentioned earlier on this thread?
Also, can I use the same product key from my old windows 7 computer and download windows 10 without having to buy Windows again?
Donald Austin
Offline
User avatar

Andrew Welch

  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostWed May 01, 2019 1:46 pm

austindonald1 wrote:thanks Andrew, should i buy the keyboard made for Davinci editing someone mentioned earlier on this thread?
Also, can I use the same product key from my old windows 7 computer and download windows 10 without having to buy Windows again?


At this point, I don't think you need a dedicated keyboard for Resolve. It's handy but not a necessity. As for Windows, yes, you will need to purchase Windows 10, the Home version is fine.
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostThu May 02, 2019 2:55 pm

Andrew Welch wrote:
austindonald1 wrote:thanks Andrew, should i buy the keyboard made for Davinci editing someone mentioned earlier on this thread?
Also, can I use the same product key from my old windows 7 computer and download windows 10 without having to buy Windows again?


At this point, I don't think you need a dedicated keyboard for Resolve. It's handy but not a necessity. As for Windows, yes, you will need to purchase Windows 10, the Home version is fine.


thanks
Donald Austin
Offline

Brad Hurley

  • Posts: 1079
  • Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 pm
  • Location: Montréal

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostThu May 02, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi Donald,

I would just add a few observations here, some of which echo observations made by others:

1. You're doing this for your own enjoyment, not for a job, so I would urge you to consider making things as simple and easy as possible so it's an enjoyable experience. Resolve runs great on a well-spec'd PC, but if you follow the recommendations in the Resolve Configuration Guide you can just install it on one of the recommended iMac models and you're done -- no need to research PC builds, GPUs, or spend time building your own PC or specifying a build from a company that'll make it for you.

2. You don't actually need to use Resolve to do the kinds of project you're envisioning. Resolve is fantastic, but it's complicated, even just understanding how to set up your project settings correctly can require a lot of time at the beginning. You could alternatively consider Final Cut Pro, as long as you feel comfortable sticking with the Mac platform. Final Cut is very sophisticated too, but it's optimized for Macs and you could get away with a less powerful Mac -- even a recent Mac Mini if you want to use your own monitor. I can even work with Final Cut on my refurbished 2013 i5 Mac Mini with 8 gigs of RAM and integrated Intel graphics, whereas I can only work with Resolve 16 on that computer if I generate strongly optimized footage (1/4 size) even just for HD. Final Cut will run better on a more powerful computer but you definitely wouldn't have to spend as much as if you needed a computer to run Resolve.

Final Cut is a deep, powerful tool, and is especially efficient for editing; it doesn't have Resolve's sophistication for color grading nor does it have a full-featured audio workstation but plenty of people use it professionally and it should be all you really need for the kind of work you say you want to do.

Bottom line: keep it simple.
Resolve 15, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2
Offline

austindonald1

  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
  • Real Name: Donald Austin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostThu May 02, 2019 3:31 pm

Andrew Welch wrote:
austindonald1 wrote:thanks Andrew, should i buy the keyboard made for Davinci editing someone mentioned earlier on this thread?
Also, can I use the same product key from my old windows 7 computer and download windows 10 without having to buy Windows again?


At this point, I don't think you need a dedicated keyboard for Resolve. It's handy but not a necessity. As for Windows, yes, you will need to purchase Windows 10, the Home version is fine.


I see the Ryzen 1700x doesnt come with the cooler like the Ryzen 2700x...

is it better to buy the Ryzen 2700x that comes with cooler, or the Ryzen 1700x and buy the cooler separate?

i found this on amazon, but it doesnt have x written next to 1700, what are your thoughts on this processor with cooler deal? https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wr ... 147&sr=1-4

amazon shows a newer version of the motherboard, would this be a better choice? https://www.amazon.com/Ryzen-Gaming-Mot ... b_title_ce
Donald Austin
Offline

VioletWolf

  • Posts: 137
  • Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:23 am
  • Location: Canada
  • Real Name: Rick Welin

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostThu May 02, 2019 6:57 pm

austindonald1 wrote:
is it better to buy the Ryzen 2700x that comes with cooler, or the Ryzen 1700x and buy the cooler separate?



Cooling: I'd seriously recommend water cooling as it sends the heat directly out of the case. Fan coolers are ok for "normal" computer use but under heavy loads you're just blowing all that heat around the inside of the box and overheating becomes a concern.

Same with video cards: You want to get the "blower" version of whatever card you decide on. They are more like a squirrel-cage fan system that blows the heat directly out of the rear of the case.

Heat management is very important and often overlooked.

My current build has 7(!) fans lol: 2 on the cpu water cooler (push/pull), 2 massive intakes on the front of the box, two on the top of the case (1 intake & one exhaust right above the VRM's to cool them), and the blower on my video card... It's BARELY enough cooling under heavy graphics sessions.
Resolve 15.2.4 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD 9590 - 5ghz 8 Core | 24GB | MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig
Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects
Offline
User avatar

Andrew Welch

  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostThu May 02, 2019 10:02 pm

austindonald1 wrote:I see the Ryzen 1700x doesnt come with the cooler like the Ryzen 2700x...

is it better to buy the Ryzen 2700x that comes with cooler, or the Ryzen 1700x and buy the cooler separate?


1) We already have a CPU cooler on the list, it's the Noctua NH-U14S. It's much, much better than the garbage coolers that come with processors.

2) As for the motherboard, I'd just go with the one in the tutorial if it's still available. If you use another motherboard, the BIOS menu and the settings may be different from those in the video and that could cause you a lot of headaches since you are new at this.

Also, just send me private messages about this from now on. I don't want to keep bumping the thread every time we discuss your particular build.
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Michael_Andreas, waltervolpatto and 55 guests