Kensington trackball to control color wheels?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Singularity

Kensington trackball to control color wheels?

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 2:41 pm

Is it possible to use a Kensington trackball (or similar), to control the color wheels in Resolve's color page?

Not as a mouse replacement, but specifically as a simple 2D control of the hue values.
Resolve 18 Studio. Windows 11 Pro. Ryzen 2700x. GTX 3060. 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 RAM. ASUS Crosshair x370.

KatCaverly

Re: Kensington trackball to control color wheels?

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 3:43 pm

Interesting question!

The answer is yes, either holding down the key you use for a click or program another key as a "drag" and then you can use the trackball for hue in the color wheels.
Resolve Studio 18.1.3
macOS 13.3.1
16-core Mac Pro, 256GB RAM, Radeon Pro VII, 1TB SSD
8TB and 4TB OWC Accelsior 4M2 (PCIe) RAID 0
ext drives for backups/data
BMPCC 4K and 6K, UltraStudio 4K Mini, FSI DM240, Mini Panel, Editor Keyboard
Big Knob Studio

Singularity

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 4:19 pm

KatCaverly wrote:Interesting question!

The answer is yes, either holding down the key you use for a click or program another key as a "drag" and then you can use the trackball for hue in the color wheels.

Thank you for your answer!. I'm glad to hear that. And do you know if the scrollwheel on the perimeter of the trackball can be used to adjust exposure?
Resolve 18 Studio. Windows 11 Pro. Ryzen 2700x. GTX 3060. 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 RAM. ASUS Crosshair x370.

KatCaverly

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 5:00 pm

yes it does, if you hover over the exposure wheel and then scroll. But remember to move the cursor off or there are unintended changes!
Resolve Studio 18.1.3
macOS 13.3.1
Big Knob Studio

Brad Hurley

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 5:51 pm

Basically, I think the best way to look at it is that the Kensington trackball is an old-fashioned (non-optical) mouse on its back and behaves the same way.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

KatCaverly

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 6:58 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:Basically, I think the best way to look at it is that the Kensington trackball is an old-fashioned (non-optical) mouse on its back and behaves the same way.

exactly, PLUS the fact the Kensington Expert Mouse is programable!
Resolve Studio 18.1.3
macOS 13.3.1
Big Knob Studio

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 10:41 pm

I just want to point out: even a very inexpensive color panel like the Tangent Ripple is much better than trying to color correct with a mouse. Especially in Resolve. (Though there are some major colorists using Lustre with just a keyboard and mouse).

My advice: save your money and pick up a used control surface cheap on eBay or one of the user groups on the web.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Singularity

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 8:25 am

Thank you for the replies. So do you think the kensington offers any substantial advantage over using a standard mouse?

I realize it wont replace a dedicated control surface, but I am attracted by the much smaller footprint, since my desk is already pretty crowded.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 9:59 am

Singularity wrote:Thank you for the replies. So do you think the kensington offers any substantial advantage over using a standard mouse?

I was never happy with trying to draw a complex power window with a trackball or trackpad, so I rejected that in favor of a very simple 3-button wired mouse. I used a Kensington Turbomouse for decades (I think they came out in the late 1980s), but gave it up specifically because of the power window problem in Resolve.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

KatCaverly

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 12:55 pm

Singularity wrote: So do you think the kensington offers any substantial advantage over using a standard mouse?

I have been using a Kensington Expert Mouse for animation since 2001, but for Resolve I bought MIDIGrade which uses the DJ Tech Tools MIdi Fighter Twistor, then added the Tangent Ripple. I guess to each their own, and use whatever, whichever works best for your creativity.

So for me a mouse was never accurate or useful. I didn't like a 3 button mouse either. I programed the Expert Mouse for the middle click. I also added an Apple Magic Trackpad recently because sometimes that works best!
Resolve Studio 18.1.3
macOS 13.3.1
Big Knob Studio

Brad Hurley

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 1:28 pm

I would also check out the budget controllers from Glenn Venghaus, if you use a Mac. See https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com/davinci-resolve-controllers/apc40-mk2-resolve-edition/?v=3e8d115eb4b3 for example, which would literally feel like "mixing light," given the mixer-style faders.

I have his Arturia Beatstep controller, which works, but I think the one I linked to above is a likely to be more usable solution due to the lighted labeled buttons. A bit involved to set up, but you get a lot of functionality for a reasonable price.

One of the key advantages to dedicated controllers is that you can adjust lift and gain simultaneously (or lift and gamma, gamma and gain, etc) or fine-tune the pivot point while adjusting contrast...it's the ability to control two things simultaneously that creates a big advantage over a mouse or trackball. It's not just the better/more intuitive ergonomics.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Singularity

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 1:38 pm

Thanks. I would have liked to use the midi controller option since I already have a couple of midi controllers. But unfortunately, the software seems to be mac only :(

KatCaverly

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 2:55 pm

And MIDIGrade is only available for macOS too. https://sellfy.com/p/ggBh/
Resolve Studio 18.1.3
macOS 13.3.1
Big Knob Studio

thomastthai

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 8:42 am

I'm starting to work on using MIDI controllers to control DaVinci Resolve 16.1. I convert MIDI messages to keyboard shortcuts. Any action in DaVinci Resolve that has a keyboard shortcut works. Unfortunately, the Color Wheels functions don't have keyboard shortcuts.

Fairlight seems to have some support for MIDI controllers under DaVinci Resolve / Preferences / Control Panels / Audio Console / Use MIDI Audio Console. I've not tested MIDI controller support in Fairlight yet.

It would benefit Black Magic's customers if various functions have keyboard shortcuts and the capability to learn MIDI codes. This would allow people to use all kids of MIDI controllers with DaVinci Resolve.

vyucil

PostTue Mar 24, 2020 8:13 pm

thomastthai wrote:I'm starting to work on using MIDI controllers to control DaVinci Resolve 16.1.

Have you some webpage with download link?

Return to DaVinci Resolve