New laptop advice please

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RussWood

New laptop advice please

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 11:20 pm

Hi,

I'd like to start using Davinci Resolve and after installing it on my current system (Dell, i7, 8GB RAM, onboard graphics), it's too puny for the job, so I'm looking for a new system. I've done a bit of reading (including here, and the config guide), but I'd like to check with you before I spend the cash. You all know more than me about what will / won't work.

I'm looking at:

HP ZBook x2 G4
Windows 10 Pro 64
Intel® i7-8650U with Intel® UHD Graphics 620
14" diagonal 4K IPS anti-glare touch screen (3840 x 2160)
32 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (2 x 16 GB)
1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ SSD
NVIDIA® Quadro® M620 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

Will this be up to the job? I'll be editing 4K footage from GoPro & drone. Probably exporting in HD.

What's a Quadro card? 2GB seems low - but that would be for a Geforce card & I don't know whether the Quadro makes up for that.

If anyone else wants to make a recommendation about an alternative system, please feel free. It does need to be a laptop though as I'll be editing on the move. Size and weight is also an issue as I'll have to deal with airline luggage constraints.

Thanks for your help.

zebraaa

Re: New laptop advice please

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 6:34 pm

Hi,

2years ago i bought also a asus game rog laptop/ geforce gtx 960m, with 32gb ram. Full hd seems going ok. i can colour a bit and do some text animation. But in 4k it will not run normal. So i think you need a geforce 8gb. And even better a desktop.

Im still using my laptop for small jobs filmed in 1080p with my a7s. But soon i gonna get a better desktop. 8gb video and 64gb ram. you can check my post 'new desktop'.

my 2 cents

peter

Carsten Sellberg

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi.

I am sorry, but the in the DaVinci Resolve 15 configuration guide is not up to date.

If you really need a laptop can I only recommend one with a 6 core mobile Intel CPU as the 8750H.
And make sure you buy one in a medium to large size, so it can get rid of the generated heat.

The Quadro Cards have good fp64 performance and the GTX/RTX cards the have good fp32 performance. And Resolve do all its image processing in the GPU in fp32.

On 29th January nVidea introduced laptop versions of their new RTX graphics cards. Until now I only have seen ONE review of one laptop with the'new RTX mobile Graphics card. More is expected to come in the following weeks. If you can't wait, can you may be find one with previous GTX 10x0 max-Q on sale?

But a small sized Desktop is far better for Resolve.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 9:06 pm

If you want a mobile machine, I'd recommend looking at something like an AlienWare m15. Even though I'm a fan of the HP line, I went with the m15... 32 GB, 8GB 1070 Max-Q (I have an external 1080Ti also), hexacore CPU... it handles 4K XAVC smoothly without needing the eGPU for any help. The new m15 has an RTX GPU, mine has a GTX (Pascal).
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

RussWood

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Thanks for the pointers all. Very helpful. I'll have a bit of a think on these recommendations.

R.

deezid

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 pm

Get a laptop with a GPU with 8GB of memory at least.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K and UMP12K here:
https://55media.net/55mluts/

Return to DaVinci Resolve