No sound from my screen recoreded clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

thepaperwings

No sound from my screen recoreded clips

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 6:24 am

Hi, I am a complete beginner to video editing. I recorded some clips of my computer screen using a screen capture program called "ICECREAM", but there is no sound when I drag it into Davinci Resolve 15. The sound plays perfectly fine when I play it on Windows Media Player, and I've captured the screen on multiple codecs (avi, mov, etc). The sound all works fine EXCEPT when I input it into davinci. When I drag in another .mov file from another source (not screen capture), the audio plays fine. The screen capture clip doesn't even have sound waves. What can I do? Thank you.

peterjackson

Re: No sound from my screen recoreded clips

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 12:11 pm

I'd use OBS. Set color space to i444, rec 709, encoder to H264 NVENC lossless, framerate to whatever you want.

This gives you small lossless files directly encoded on the GPU and Resolve reads them fine.

Open the stats window. If you get dropped frames due ro render lag open Nvidia control pannel and change power mode to max. Also disable any GPU monitoring software you may have running. This includes Asus GPU Tweak, MSI Afterburner, Hwinfo, Taskmanager, and the Sys Info Service from 3DMark. For some reason requesting GPU sensors makes the hardware encoder choke and drop frames which Resolve really doesn't like.

If you don't have an Nvidia card, use Intel QuickSync in OBS, if you have and AMD GPU, get AMD HW Enc plugin for OBS.

And if that's all too complicated, buy Camtasia ;-)
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

thepaperwings

Re: No sound from my screen recoreded clips

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Oh... Ok thank you, I will try the OBS program !

Return to DaVinci Resolve