Initial frame rate setting

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

flroots

Initial frame rate setting

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 7:16 am

I've started my first project with Davinci Resolve. The first cut of my timeline is now almost complete. I happened to view a tip on setting timeline frame rate when starting a new project. Now I wonder if I have an issue. My videos were all recorded on a smart phone at frame rates varying between 27 and 30 fps (not sure why they're variable?). My timeline is at the default of 24 fps. I'm assuming that the videos were changed when importing. Is this an issue and if so, what should I have done?

As an aside, I'm really enjoying Davinci Resolve, but I must admit it's quite a learning curve.
Last edited by flroots on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Initial frame rate setting

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 8:46 am

What is the frame rate that u wish to render the file to?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

flroots

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 3:38 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:What is the frame rate that u wish to render the file to?
I don't have enough experience to have a preferred frame rate. Since 24 fps was the Davinci Resolve default I'm assuming that will work unless there's some kind of incompatibility with the videos I captured from my smart phone.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 10:04 am

Given you shot at 30 (fixed rate is better) you probably should have set the conform rate to 30.

In you current project the clips would have speed changes to 24.

Rule #1 for self projects, know the frame rate, resolution and audio format you wish to finish the project in before you shoot a frame. Then the Prodution and Post workflow will be cleaner.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

flroots

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 10:13 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Given you shot at 30 (fixed rate is better) you probably should have set the conform rate to 30.

In you current project the clips would have speed changes to 24.

Rule #1 for self projects, know the frame rate, resolution and audio format you wish to finish the project in before you shoot a frame. Then the Prodution and Post workflow will be cleaner.
Thanks. Given the fact that my timeline is at 24 fps and my smartphone recorded at variable rates between 27 and 30 fps, what would be the negative effects on end result? Also, even though it's a bit off the subject why do you think the smartphone recorded at a variable frame rate? My phone is a Motorola Moto G4 Plus in case that matters. Thanks again.

peterjackson

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 2:14 pm

All smartphones record at slightly unstable framerates. It's not a realtime OS and there is little you can do about. There are attempts to make fps more stable. Filmic Pro for example has an experimental option to force stable fps, but it doesn't change much in my testing.

Resolve usually doesn't have an issue with it. I would recommend to go with max fps supported at max resolution by the phone. So usually 30 or 60 for 4k.

As soon as you import your clips go to clip attributes and change their fps to 30/60 as well. That will ensure 1:1 mapping of source to timeline frames.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

flroots

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 8:49 am

peterjackson wrote:All smartphones record at slightly unstable framerates. It's not a realtime OS and there is little you can do about. There are attempts to make fps more stable. Filmic Pro for example has an experimental option to force stable fps, but it doesn't change much in my testing.

Resolve usually doesn't have an issue with it. I would recommend to go with max fps supported at max resolution by the phone. So usually 30 or 60 for 4k.

As soon as you import your clips go to clip attributes and change their fps to 30/60 as well. That will ensure 1:1 mapping of source to timeline frames.
Thanks. I'm glad to hear that this issue with smartphones is not unique to me. I guess the only negative caused by my using the default 24 fps is that the video will not be quite as smooth as if I used the more appropriate 30 fps.

Return to DaVinci Resolve