I Really WANT to Switch to Resolve . . .

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: I Really WANT to Switch to Resolve . . .

PostSun Feb 24, 2019 8:27 am

Luc Laflamme wrote:
starting and stopping playback that are accessed by different keyboard shortcuts and function in different but complimentary fashions simultaneously: (1) a command that starts playback on the first tap and, on second tap, returns the CTI to the starting position and (2) another command that starts playback on first tap and, on second tap, stops the CTI wherever it is at that instant.

I am currently trying very hard to switch myself and the rest of my video production company from Premiere to Resolve. I must say that I have never ever worked in Sony Vegas and have almost no idea what it looks like.

However this feature you just described is absolutely amazing. Simple, clever and surely very easy to implement. It is very easy to see how this little tool could become very useful ...

Now if Resolve would add a dedicated CTI snap on/off button ....

I hope they are listening ...

Like the n key?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Feb 24, 2019 8:28 am

Elizabeth Lowrey wrote:
Peter Cave wrote:Have a look in the Playback Menu. I't called Play Again and can be mapped to a key combination. Everything you have an issue with is available in this menu and can be assigned to keystrokes.

Craig Marshall wrote:
VioletWolf wrote:... In resolve hold Shift to play faster with with J/L keys. (In Premiere double/triple tap)...

Since I mapped Resolve's JKL keys (along with the most used edit/transport commands) to my X-Keys 68 Jog/Shuttle controller, Resolve also responds to the double/triple tap of the J/L keys plus of course, to the direction and position of the Shuttle wheel for Fast Forward/Stop/Fast Reverse. Not needing to hold shift is a nice feature.

Thanks to you all, Peter Cave, Craig Marshall, and VioletWolf, for your time and suggestions.

The Resolve commands for playing select portions of a timeline appear to be very flexible, and I could see myself really liking and using those options once new techniques are established and muscle memory kicks in.

That said, I had fooled around with the "play again" item before posting this thread and triple checked it and other items in the playback and timeline shortcuts menus after reading the above replies, and I'm still not able to duplicate the desired Vegas functionality (which I find incredibly useful and efficient), namely having two separate commands (not just separate keys) dedicated to starting and stopping playback that are accessed by different keyboard shortcuts and function in different but complimentary fashions simultaneously: (1) a command that starts playback on the first tap and, on second tap, returns the CTI to the starting position and (2) another command that starts playback on first tap and, on second tap, stops the CTI wherever it is at that instant.

In Vegas these complimentary commands are by default accessed by the spacebar and enter keys, respectively. And you can actually mix taps with the two keys and still have each key respect its assigned command. That is, you can always start playback with either spacebar or enter since the behavior of both keys is identical in that regard. But once playback has started, the two keys always perform different functions: enter will stop the CTI right where it is at that instant while spacebar will stop playback and return the CTI to the starting position in a stopped condition.

In Resolve, I can indeed make the spacebar start playback and then stop on second tap wherever the CTI happens to be at that moment (the default behavior). I can also make it stop on second tap and return to the start by either checking "Stop and Go to Last Position" under the playback menu or invoking that same functionality with the keyboard shortcut Alt +K. But that is merely a change in functionality of a single key that has to be constantly toggled on or off via its own shortcut/menu selection and in no way is comparable to having two separate keys that at all times are randomly accessible to either stop playback in place or stop and return to start.

Also, the "K" key in Resolve always behaves in accordance with how you've set the "stop and go to last position" option, so it will simply mimic the behavior of the spacebar in that regard. The upshot is you apparently can't have the spacebar stop and return on second tap while having K stop at the immediate position (or vice versa).

So if any former Vegas users out there have figured out a way to do this, feel free to share. Otherwise, I'm going to add this to the features list request thread as it is a huge convenience and would seem to be really easy to implement, especially because the enter key is apparently not mapped to any other Resolve command by default.

We will look into this idea.

Luc Laflamme

PostSun Feb 24, 2019 12:26 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
Luc Laflamme wrote:

Now if Resolve would add a dedicated CTI snap on/off button ....

I hope they are listening ...

Like the n key?

I certainly don't want to hijack Elizabeth's thread here. So I wont go into details.

But no Peter, not like the "N" key. That key is a general on/off button that affects snapping as a hole on both clips and playhead.

I am taking about a dedicated way to control the playhead's snapping behavior only. Or even better, a drop down menu on the snapping icon with lot's of customization possibilities ...

For example, for me the playhead's default snapping behavior should always be OFF and the clips should always be ON

The new "temporary off while scrubbing" might be a step in the right direction, but as far as I am concern, for the moment it is a bit clumsy and not very intuitive... But I said I would not go into the details right here ;)
Cinematographer - Producer
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU
64 Gig Ram DDR4
GeForce GTX 3080 12GB
ROG PG279Q
Focusrite Scarlett
Running on Windows 11

Elizabeth Lowrey

PostSun Feb 24, 2019 5:13 pm

Luc Laflamme wrote:I must say that I have never ever worked in Sony Vegas and have almost no idea what it looks like.

However this feature you just described is absolutely amazing. Simple, clever and surely very easy to implement. It is very easy to see how this little tool could become very useful ...

Vegas was/is full of stuff like that. Considered in the context of other, very deep programs, I still think it has the most intuitive interface I've encountered. Learning it was really a pleasure since it was usually just a matter of mousing over something, right clicking, scrolling, getting instant feedback from the highly responsive interface, javascript type tooltips, etc. In my experience with programs generally, that approach is more or less the norm in recent years, but Vegas was doing it very early in the game. And their "I-don't-need-to-copy-other-NLE-s" approach to the whole concept of computer based editing (e.g., with timeline "events" populated by media rather than media/cips per se) gave Vegas some advantages that, as far as I can see, still persist to this day. Which is why committing to switch has been/is such a difficult decision for me.

But I'm also blown away by what Resolve offers that Vegas never did and perhaps never will. If only they could marry and produce an NLE child that inherited equally from both parents.:-)
Intel core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz
MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
64 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz
2x Samsung 970 Pro EVO NVMe 500GB
4x Seagate Exos X10 10TB HD in Hardware 0 RAID (LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271 PCIe 3)
MOTU Traveler Audio I/O

Elizabeth Lowrey

PostSun Feb 24, 2019 6:12 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We will look into this idea.

Hi Peter,

Great to see your name in this thread. Given my general impression of how closely Blackmagic must listen to its userbase, which others confirmed in this thread in glowing terms, I'm not surprised to see your response but am grateful for it nevertheless.

I intend to add a highly condensed list of features discussed here into the appropriate "feature request" thread. But, since you're in here now, the functionality in Resolve that I currently find limiting or inadequately developed (to the point of not being able to switch over from Vegas) is keyframing transform-type parameters on individual clips. There are issues with this across the board but especially with regard to X/Y position.

Because trying to put this into words is so much more awkward than just "showing," I'm going to try, when I can find time over the next couple of weeks, to do a screen video capturing a very common type of edit for me in Vegas and then capture me trying to do the same thing in Resolve (which I won't be able to do 100% because one aspect of the functionality simply doesn't exist at present). I will then post a link to the video in the feature request thread and here so that hopefully you will be able to see it in either place.

Until then, thanks again for taking the pulse here. :D
Intel core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz
MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
64 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz
2x Samsung 970 Pro EVO NVMe 500GB
4x Seagate Exos X10 10TB HD in Hardware 0 RAID (LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271 PCIe 3)
MOTU Traveler Audio I/O

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 2:15 am

Hi Elizabeth, i recommend starting a new thread for your video example, and definitely don't recommend dual posting.. I already have enough to read.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve