Audio waveforms disappearing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kenny Dogins

Audio waveforms disappearing

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 3:12 am

Hi all,

the waveforms in the timeline keep disappearing. If I let the session sit for a while, say 5+ minutes, they comeback, but if I then do a few simple cuts and switch between timelines they'll vanish again. If I switch to Fairlight then they're all there, but if I go back to the edit they'll still be gone?

Very confused and frustrated as I've just made the jump from PremPro

I'm on the full version 15.1.1.005

Any help greatly appreciated.

New iMac 5K, 3.5gHz, i5
40GB ram

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Audio waveforms disappearing

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 4:32 am

In DaVinci Resolve, Preferences, the System, Storage Tab.. the first drive should be an always connected disk.
What do you have set there and do you have write access to that drive?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Ognjen Mihovilić

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 6:28 am

I find that having the same path for the cache folder in general preferences and in project preferences helps in this situation. If the path is different than I experience the same problem.
Apple Macbook Pro 16" M1 Max
64 GB Memory
32 Cores GPU
2TB SSD
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6

Kenny Dogins

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 9:56 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've started the day without changing anything and have been going for about 30 minutes with no issues.

Yesterday I started with the media on a seperate USB3 drive, then transferred it to the internal to see if that was the issue, which didn't fix it. Possibly it's just settled down and found everything where it's supposed to be. I had done a couple of restarts yesterday as well so it's not really clear what has resolved the issue, just greatful I'm editing. If the troubles start again I'll work through the advice and update.

Many thanks.

Return to DaVinci Resolve