PostgreSQL on a QNAP NAS, what network to use?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Juan Ugarriza

PostgreSQL on a QNAP NAS, what network to use?

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi everyone.

I am using a QNAP NAS as a PostgreSQL and storage server, and I have this doubt: It would be better access to the database vía the same network I am using for SMB sharing (10GbE or Thunderbolt, depending on the Mac) or with a 1GbE separate network?

Thank you!
http://www.finalcutpro.es

Michael_B

Re: PostgreSQL on a QNAP NAS, what network to use?

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi Juan

We faced the same question and decided to run the database on a separate 1Gb Network, while the video server runs on a 10G fibre network. The ideas behind it was that the many small data transfers from the PostgreSQL don't work well with sustained high data rates of several video streams. So far, this has worked out well and speed wise there are no problems either on the database or on the video file side (approx 950MBs read/write on a single client, a little less with two or three clients attached).
BTW: The main goal of the NAS-installation was to use the collaborative mode of Resolve to work on an upcoming project, but unfortunately the software is completely unfit to run in collaborative mode with the current release. But that's another topic.

Cheers, Michael
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6
macOS Sonoma 14.2
Mac mini 2023 / M2 Pro / 32 GB RAM
Fairlight Desktop Control Panel
(*Fairlight Audio Accelerator)
(*Fairlight Audio I/O)
*currently not supported

Juan Ugarriza

Re: PostgreSQL on a QNAP NAS, what network to use?

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 9:34 pm

Hello Michael:

Thank you for the answer, what you say sounds very reasonable to me. I will choose separate networks.

I am getting 800-900MB/s with 10GbE and 1.600MB/s via Thunderbolt 3 in bridge mode, but the length of TB3 cables is a pain in the ass. My goal at this point is to get access to all projects and rushes from every Mac. I've try collaborative projects with no major issues, but I don't use this in a daily basis.
http://www.finalcutpro.es

Return to DaVinci Resolve