Upgraded from 15.3 to 15.3 Studio, GPU full and system crash

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mariomike88

Upgraded from 15.3 to 15.3 Studio, GPU full and system crash

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 11:10 am

I have been using Resolve for years without issue and finally purchased the Studio version. I went to re-render a project I had been working on but was met with 'GPU Memory FULL - Try reducing timeline resolution'. My timeline is 10minutes of 1080p go pro footage. I'm running a GTX 1070 8GB. Sometimes it errors on open, sometimes it gets ~10% rendered, but it eventually errors, freezes my entire machine and I have to force restart. Strangely I did notice it was rendering about twice as fast. :? I downgraded back to the free version and rendered again, no issue. But it did render slower. I have checked in the Nvidia and Resolve control panels that my 1070 is selected over the Intel GPU. I have tried the current and previous Nvidia driver, no difference. Any ideas?

mariomike88

Re: Upgraded from 15.3 to 15.3 Studio, GPU full and system c

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 8:33 am

Ok so turns out Windows 10 and/or Davinci Resolve do not like switching between the intergrated Intel GPU and the dedicated Nvidia GTX 1070. Even though I had set everything in every setting to use the GTX 1070, it was still using the Intel GPU. I went into my BIOS and disabled the Intel GPU, and now everything is fine. Still strange that Davinci Studio and Non-Studio behaved differently.

Return to DaVinci Resolve