Pocket 4K: RAW "Use Settings/Changes" switched ISO range?!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Travis Ward

Pocket 4K: RAW "Use Settings/Changes" switched ISO range?!

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 3:15 am

I wasn't sure exactly what to search for this--I couldn't find anything on it when I searched. Using Resolve 15.3.

I recently shot footage on my P4K in BRAW 12:1 4K. The clips use both sensor ranges (I flipped when necessary). So I have some in the 100-1000 range and others in the 1250+.

I noticed today that I have a number of clips that seem to be using the wrong ISO range. I shot them at 1250 or above, yet they show that 1000 is selected. When I click the dropdown, it does indeed only show 100-1000.

When I select any other option, the image doesn't change. It doesn't seem to have an impact.

When I switch it to decode using the Camera Metadata, it shows the correct ISO and the clip itself looks correct. I then tried decoding using Clip, thinking it would trick it, and it APPEARS to have the correct ISO--but like before, selecting a different ISO does nothing (the image looks the same as it did before we switched to Camera Metadata). If I switch to another clip and come back, lo and behold, it goes back to having the wrong ISO selected.

I think this may have happened when I accidentally picked several RAW clips (some shot in the low end, others in the high end of the sensor) and clicked either Use Settings or Use Changes (I don't know exactly when this happened). But, I tried doing the opposite (finding a clip in the right ISO range, selecting them both, then clicking Use Settings), and it didn't stick.

Has anyone else experienced this? Very puzzling.
Here it is correctly showing ISO 2000 when using Camera Metadata:
resolve1.png
resolve1.png (32.49 KiB) Viewed 1114 times

Here, I've switched the clip to decode using Clip. Demonstrating that it at least displays the right ISO values:
resolve2.png
resolve2.png (30.73 KiB) Viewed 1114 times

And finally, I have moved to a different clip and back, which sticks me with the old ISO range:
resolve3.png
resolve3.png (35.66 KiB) Viewed 1114 times

Note: this does not seem to impact the original clip. I can find the original footage, then just swap it out. However, this is affecting a number of clips, and some of these clips have a lot of clip specific retiming, effects, etc. So I'd rather not have to do them all over again.
Travis Ward

Travis Ward

Re: Pocket 4K: RAW "Use Settings/Changes" switched ISO range

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 3:49 pm

Check in on this--any response from BMD? Should I submit this bug somewhere else? Still happening.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit
16gb RAM
AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070
Travis Ward

paulgolden

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 12:02 am

I am experiencing oddness in this area also. I have sent in a report to Resolve tech support to see if they can shed some light on this. I will report soon.

paulgolden

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 8:31 pm

My specs:
Resolve Studio 16.1.1.005
Mac OS 10.15.1
Computer: iMac Pro 10-core; 64gb RAM; Radeon Pro Vega 64 16gb
Camera: Blackmagic Pocket 4K shooting BRAW

I will call this the RAW ISO SETTINGS PROBLEM.

Here is a detailed list of steps and results regarding this problem.:

1) Bring BRAW clips into timeline
2) Switch to Color Tab
3) In CAMERA RAW tab settings are:
-Decode Using: PROJECT
-Color Science: Gen 4
-White Balance: As Shot
-Color Space: Blackmagic Design
-Gamma: Blackmagic Design Film
-ISO: 1250

4) On the first clip in the timeline:
• Change Decode Using: from “Project” to “Clip”
• Change White Balance from “As Shot" to “Tungsten”
• Change ISO from “1250” to “3200" (for example)

(Note: At this point the selectable ISO range is 1250 to 6400)

Result: Color Temp changes, Screen brightens by 1 stop

5) With first clip selected, shift click to select other clips
Click “Use Settings” button on lower right corner of Camera Raw settings area
Result: Other clips change ISO to 3200 and White Balance to Tungsten

6) Select first clip again
Change White Balance from “Tungsten" to “Fluorescent”
Result: White Balance adjusts to new White Balance setting

7) Select first clip and shift click to highlight additional clips
Click “Use Changes” to just update the White Balance parameter
Result: ISO on all clips changes to “1000”; White balance does not change;
Note: At this point ISO range is now 100-1000 instead of 1250-6400; selecting different ISO settings in this section now does not affect the ISO on screen

THIS APPEARS TO BE A BUG OR NON-INTENDED BEHAVIOR

8) On the 3 dot pulldown by the Blackmagic RAW text on the upper right, click “Reset”
Result: ISO stated value changes back 1250; ISO value can’t be changed with apparent change in exposure

9) Change Decode Using: Camera Metadata
Result: Greyed out ISO changes to 1250

10) Change Decode Using: Clip
Result: ISO changes back to 1000
Note: you can no longer affect the ISO with this pulldown.

THIS APPEARS TO BE ANOTHER BUG

Has anyone else experienced issues with ISO switching range, becoming non-responsive or other issues associated with making changes to BRAW settings?

Travis Ward

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 11:43 pm

Thanks, Paul. I'd almost forgotten about this. It's easily reproducible, at least in my case(s). It's happened on more than one project of mine.

I'll try to get my results added to this thread soon, but your workflow seems to be the exact same as what I experienced. It locks you into that different ISO range.
Travis Ward

paulgolden

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 12:05 am

I have been informed that Resolve support has confirmed my issue and they're forwarding their findings to the developers. This brings up a question of what the correct behavior of the dual ISO ranges and RAW settings in Resolve require. Is there any explanation from BMD about how to work with dual ISO in post?

Return to DaVinci Resolve