New Graphic Card

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Over Docker

New Graphic Card

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 1:22 pm

Good morning, first of all I wanted to know if AMD works the same, better or worse than Nvidia in davinci resolve.

I would like a recommendation to buy a new graphics card.

I do not understand very well if Davinci resolve uses several GPUs like SLI and CROSSFIRE.

I would be interested in the graphic card to work mostly with RAW files. The maximum resolution I use is 4k (Never 6K or 8K). I am very interested in using noise reduction.

Es mejor usar dos tarjetas graficas de 8Gb o una sola tarjeta de 16Gb?
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 // Windows 11 PRO 23H2
i7 12700 @4.5Ghz//2x32gb 3200mhz RIPJAWS V//RTX 3060 12GB Gainward//MSI B660M BAZOOKA//PSU EVGA 710w BP 80 Bronze// NVME M2 970 Evo Plus 500Gb (OS) / NVME M2 Kingston KC3000 2TB / HDD 3TB.

MishaEngel

Re: New Graphic Card

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 1:42 pm

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-AMD-Radeon-VII-16GB-Performance-1382/

When you have a budget of around $ 700 for a GPU, the Radeon VII is a good choice.

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 2:55 pm

CUDA (nVidia) is a more mature technology than OpenCL (AMD).

My choice would be for a 2000 series GTX card.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Sam Steti

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 3:47 pm

Over Docker wrote:Good morning, first of all I wanted to know if AMD works the same, better or worse than Nvidia in davinci resolve.
Looks like nVidia/CUDA shows greater performance

I do not understand very well if Davinci resolve uses several GPUs like SLI and CROSSFIRE.
It uses several GPUs but does not use SLI or crossfire. If you put 2, best choose twin cards

Put a least one 1080ti, or 2000 series...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

ricardo marty

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 3:56 pm

AMD cards dont have h264 render accelertaion. This an nvidia thing.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Mattias Murhagen

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 3:58 pm

Sam Steti wrote:
Over Docker wrote:Good morning, first of all I wanted to know if AMD works the same, better or worse than Nvidia in davinci resolve.
Looks like nVidia/CUDA shows greater performance

At what price point?

MishaEngel

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 3:59 pm

Sam Steti wrote:Looks like nVidia/CUDA shows greater performance

Maybe when your blind or can't read

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-AMD-Radeon-VII-16GB-Performance-1382/

When you're not blind and can read AMD beats NVidia in Davinci Resolve in every price segment.

AMD cards dont have h264 render accelertaion. This an nvidia thing.

Well they do, it's just not supported by Resolve.
Free programs like StaxRip support it.

Carsten Sellberg

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 4:42 pm

Over Docker wrote: Es mejor usar dos tarjetas graficas de 8Gb o una sola tarjeta de 16Gb?

Hi.

When I use google translate, is it translated to:

' Is it better to use two 8Gb graphics cards or a single 16Gb card? '

I don't know if you use the Free version of Resolve or the Paid Studio version of Resolve?
For only the Paid Studio version support more than one Graphics card.

The Studio version Resolve don't use SLI or CROSSFIRE, but it own version of Graphics Card Sharing.
Some function have no benefit of dual graphics cards, but others function like Noise Reduction can be around 30% faster. But as I understand it do Noise Reduction in 4K require at least 11 GB vRam and some time more.

I wonder if the RAW files you work with are from RED?

RED Digital Cinema and NVIDIA Make 8K, 6K and 4K Movie Editing a Reality
Content creators can edit 8K, 6K and 4K video in real time with new NVIDIA RTX-powered REDCODE RAW SDK.
I don't know how far there are.

Here is a link:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/12/1 ... e-editing/

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

John Paines

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 5:36 pm

MishaEngel wrote:When you're not blind and can read AMD beats NVidia in Davinci Resolve in every price segment.

I don't know about blindness, but you might want to consider deafness.

Comparing cards which sell for about the same price, and using TNR, which interests the OP, the Radeon 7 beats the rtx 2080 by 5 fps on average on 4K material. Neither will play 29.97 real time, which means you'd have to cache in either case. Overall, Puget Sound rates the radeon VII performance at about 14% over the rtx 2080.

Note that the Radeon VII is on average twice as loud as the rtx 2080 (about 10db more). It will also run hotter and require substantially more power. Whether that's worth the performance edge will depend on the user. Gamers probably won't care. Editors and colorists who spend most of their waking lives in the editing suite, probably will.

Mattias Murhagen

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 5:51 pm

John Paines wrote:
MishaEngel wrote:When you're not blind and can read AMD beats NVidia in Davinci Resolve in every price segment.

It's easy to undervolt the card to lower fanspeed, and seemingly without causing a meaningful drop in performance.

https://youtu.be/7j2PFKkYrVg?t=23m32s

MishaEngel

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 7:40 pm

John Paines wrote:

1 click undervolt, same performance and around RTX2080ti noise levels.

John Paines wrote:Comparing cards which sell for about the same price, and using TNR, which interests the OP, the Radeon 7 beats the rtx 2080 by 5 fps on average on 4K material. Neither will play 29.97 real time, which means you'd have to cache in either case. Overall, Puget Sound rates the radeon VII performance at about 14% over the rtx 2080.

True, Radeon VII does around 20 fps where the RTX2080 does around 15 fps, the Radeon is only around 30..35% faster than the RTX 2080 with TNR.

John Paines wrote:Note that the Radeon VII is on average twice as loud as the rtx 2080 (about 10db more). It will also run hotter and require substantially more power. Whether that's worth the performance edge will depend on the user. Gamers probably won't care.

1 click undervolt and your okay.
1x Radeon VII has about the same speed as 2x RTX2080, which makes it very suitable for computer systems with only 1 GPU(AMD R7 or intel non-HEDT systems). And 1x Radeon VII requires substantially less power than 2x RTX 2080's.

John Paines wrote:Editors and colorists who spend most of their waking lives in the editing suite, probably will.

They will need more than 8 GB of VRAM and will be better of with a Davinci Resolve Remote Render Server for final delivery or other heavy processing.

John Paines

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 8:33 pm

And you're recommending these untested procedures, which may not be suitable for all systems, and may not or may not leave the card stable in Resolve, to users who are asking basic questions like, 'I know nothing about GPUs, what should I buy'?

I don't care which brand anyone chooses, but it can be hard to understand this enthusiasm for equipment whose benchmarks show trivial differences in performance, and not even on all measures, and which also come at a cost.

MishaEngel wrote:They will need more than 8 GB of VRAM and will be better of with a Davinci Resolve Remote Render Server for final delivery or other heavy processing.

Oh, please. Top rank facilities wouldn't be using the radeon VII anyway. And plenty of people sit all day in suites mastering and editing at 2K or lower.

Mattias Murhagen

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 9:16 pm

John Paines wrote:And you're recommending these untested procedures, which may not be suitable for all systems, and may not or may not leave the card stable in Resolve, to users who are asking basic questions like, 'I know nothing about GPUs, what should I buy'?

Seriously though, are you telling us that a user that is supposedly capable of buying a card, unpacking it, opening up the computer and installing it physically, then installing drivers - would at this point somehow be unable to open up the software and literally click on two or three buttons? That's ridiculous. A person who gets that easily confused has no business installing a card in a computer in the first place.

As for "stable in Resolve" I suppose we'll find that out soon enough. Something tells me it won't be an issue and that you'll not acknowledge that even if it's the case.

John Paines wrote:it can be hard to understand this enthusiasm for equipment whose benchmarks show trivial differences in performance, and not even on all measures, and which also come at a cost.

The cost is indeed key, and if a simply undervolt puts on par not only on price but sound with the RTX 2080, then we can indeed look at those "trivial differences" - comparing the two I see the difference (Radeon first) in order as follows:

+18%
-1%
+19%
+32%
+2%

Those were overall results. 4k specifically:

"using TNR, which interests the OP, the Radeon 7 beats the rtx 2080 by 5 fps on average on 4K material. Neither will play 29.97 real time" according to you. But if it all has to be cashed surely it still matters just how many frames can be rendered in a second, no? You'll have to help me out here in case I'm wrong, but I would assume that as you start to render content for final delivery you'd benefit from those extra 5 frames in the end, correct? They'd cut down render time, no?

So, since the 2080 seems to hoover around 15 frames and the Radeon VII around 20 frames you'd render 30% faster.

Or did I get my math wrong?

John Paines

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 9:34 pm

In other words, you're recommending equipment and non-standard procedures without having any idea whether the thing will work or not. Or in what systems. And this is the advice you're offering to novices, for performance advantages they may not even see.

As for "That's ridiculous. A person who gets that easily confused has no business installing a card in a computer in the first place" I would point to the constant reports of driver and GPU issues reported here. And I'm not sure how we decide who has "business" installing cards and who doesn't.

The good news is, you'll be able to solve all difficulties which arise remotely. And if that doesn't work, you can always refund his purchase price.

Mattias Murhagen

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 pm

John Paines wrote:In other words, you're recommending equipment and non-standard procedures without having any idea whether the thing will work or not. Or in what systems. And this is the advice you're offering to novices,

Let me refresh your memory: PUGETSYSTEMS recommended it!

"Is the AMD Radeon VII 16GB good for DaVinci Resolve?
The short answer is: YES! The AMD Radeon VII 16GB is an excellent GPU for DaVinci Resolve."

If you don't want to listen to me you can listen to them instead, right?

John Paines wrote:for performance advantages they may not even see.

Correct my math please. And correct me if I was wrong that a Radeon VII would see a 30% faster render ultimately.

John Paines wrote:As for "That's ridiculous. A person who gets that easily confused has no business installing a card in a computer in the first place" I would point to the constant reports of driver and GPU issues reported here. And I'm not sure how we decide who has "business" installing cards and who doesn't.

Stop moving the goal post. The issue that you brought up had to do with noise. I not only wrote that there was a simple solution to it, I even supplied you and the OP with a video that shows how incredibly easy it is to enable it.

If a user can't enable that solution after watching that video, then that user most likely isn't capable of installing a card and maintaining a workstation in the long run anyway. That's how easy that solution was.

That point has absolutely nothing to do with any potential "driver and GPU issues". You're just moving the goal post instead of just acknowledging that the solution to high noise is easy to enable.

And I would ask you about exactly what those issues are "here" that you're referring to, but since you couldn't straighten out my math earlier I don't really think you'll enlighten us all on this either.

John Paines wrote:The good news is, you'll be able to solve all difficulties which arise remotely. And if that doesn't work, you can always refund his purchase price.

Oh, snark. Argument won. Good for you. OP should buy Nvidia. Well done.

John Paines

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 9:58 pm

You simply *must* recommend equipment you have no experience of? And with statistics you can't verify? And with no knowledge of the OP's system, and what he's editing?

Since Puget Sound likely won't be supporting the OP, I'm not sure how much comfort he ought to take in their assurance. Of course, he can always rely on your technical support.

Anyway, I give up. You're welcome to the last word.

Mattias Murhagen

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 10:03 pm

John Paines wrote:You simply *must* recommend equipment you have no experience of?

Read carefully what I wrote one more time, and then tell me where I actually recommended this card over any other. I've simply been pointing out what I think are flaws in what you're saying. Don't attribute statements or opinions to me that I haven't actually made public.

John Paines wrote: And with statistics you can't verify?

I asked you to correct me if I was wrong either mathematically or in fact, and you chose not to do so. It stands to reason that I'm probably right about what I'm saying because otherwise you would have corrected me. Here's your third chance to do so - third time's the charm perhaps?

John Paines wrote:Since Puget Sound likely won't be supporting the OP, I'm not sure how much comfort he ought to take in their assurance.

As oppose to your assurance? What credentials of yours is the OP aware of that makes it more sensible to disregard Puget Sound who won't support him in favor of the opinions of you who also won't support him???

John Paines wrote:Of course, he can always rely on your technical support.

Anyway, I give up. You're welcome to the last word.

Yeah, quit while you're ahead. I gave you a million chances here just like other people but you seem to fall back on snark and a generally unpleasant attitude rather than showing how what I wrote was wrong (which would have been educational for everyone including me)… so yes, take that ball..

MishaEngel

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 10:12 pm

John Paines wrote:And you're recommending these untested procedures, which may not be suitable for all systems, and may not or may not leave the card stable in Resolve, to users who are asking basic questions like, 'I know nothing about GPUs, what should I buy'?

I don't care which brand anyone chooses, but it can be hard to understand this enthusiasm for equipment whose benchmarks show trivial differences in performance, and not even on all measures, and which also come at a cost.

MishaEngel wrote:They will need more than 8 GB of VRAM and will be better of with a Davinci Resolve Remote Render Server for final delivery or other heavy processing.

Oh, please. Top rank facilities wouldn't be using the radeon VII anyway. And plenty of people sit all day in suites mastering and editing at 2K or lower.

We always test first and almost **** our pants when we found out that we ran insecure drivers with our NVidia cards until driver 419.17. We run our GTX970's since december 2014 and our i7-3960x intel even longer (they both turned out to be a big security risk) and we can't even solve the Spoiler leak.

Most top rank facillities run with Intel and NVidia, both proven to have big security isseus. NVidia solved it's, intel is unable to solve the spoiler leak.

And yes our firewall's run on ARM and AMD these days. (we where 100% intel and nvidia till Threadripper and VEGA FE arrived).

Return to DaVinci Resolve