Sharpening a denoised clip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RMollo

Sharpening a denoised clip

PostMon Mar 25, 2019 12:23 pm

Hi all,
I would like to denoise a clip, then extract the edges from the original clip (edge detection) and add them to the denoised clip.
Could anyone please show me the workflow?
Or is there a node/effect that do that?
Thanks in advance

Dermot Shane

Re: Sharpening a denoised clip

PostMon Mar 25, 2019 4:52 pm

NR is the digital equlivent of running your media through a blender until mush

the route i would take is to qualify the NR into area's it's really going to help. often shadows and blue channel

leave the rest of the image un-mushed

both Baselight and Nucoda offer restore image, but they also offer control over the luma and chroma ranges effected by NR, not adding sharpening, retoreing what was in the image and desireable to have back at the price of visbale noise - to me, it makes a bit more sense in that context

in Resolve if you need to recover sharpening, you best bet would be to create a key from edge detect and feed that into an un-mushed layer keyed over the mushed up frame

not really a great option as the edged of the edge detected effect tend to show, all up looks like it's been stepped upon mightly, as it has been...

best bet in Resolve is just not create the problem in the first place, and use NR spareingly, only where needed and no more, avoiding the need for fixs in the first place

would be nice to have the kind of control the Baselight or Nucoda offer directly inside their respective NR menu's, but at least one can use qualifiers to get to much the same place, harder to control through animation tho, much harder....

Cary Knoop

PostMon Mar 25, 2019 10:29 pm

RMollo wrote:Hi all,
I would like to denoise a clip, then extract the edges from the original clip (edge detection) and add them to the denoised clip.
Could anyone please show me the workflow?
Or is there a node/effect that do that?
Thanks in advance

Unless you want to make your video into a cartoon what would be the point?

RMollo

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 12:03 am

Thank you Dermont!
I have a very bad quality video with lot of noise and poor definition but I want to gain all that I can.
My idea was to add back some details to the denoised image.
What a pity that this solution is not feasible!
Maybe is there a way to extract only the low frequencies of the image and denoise those?

Dermot Shane

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 2:36 am

yea, i'd try to use the edge detect, soften it and invert a key, then feed that to node to constrian the noise to the area's with low detail as a test

i'll need to look at what Resolve has native, i typicaly use BCC's edge detect, that allows a direct matte output, Paul Dore may have a similar OFX

but end game is i don't use Resolve's native tools for this, just because i have been useing BCC for a long time, and there was no edge detect in Resolve back then.... and i should, look, likely they would be faster

Marc Wielage

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 2:57 am

Dermot Shane wrote:but end game is i don't use Resolve's native tools for this, just because i have been useing BCC for a long time, and there was no edge detect in Resolve back then.... and i should, look, likely they would be faster

Now they do have edge detection, and it's a lot faster than BCC. Trust me on this.

There's always compromises between noise and sharpness, and you have to kind of live with what you get. Garbage in/garbage out is an expression that goes back more than 40 years, and it still applies.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dermot Shane

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 3:43 am

this is a power grade i've had around for a longish time:
treeez.jpg
treeez.jpg (123.66 KiB) Viewed 904 times

node 5 does nothing, allows me to attach to an exising grade without haveing to link the rest one at a time
node 6 also does nothing, allows me to trim afterwards if needed
node 1 is BCC's edge detect, with "make alpha from edges" checked on
node 4 does nothing but carry the alpha over top of the NR
node 2 has NR

i rarely use this tree, it's a carry over from DS where native the NR was nothing more than a median filter, now it has NeatVideo so i don't need to use that tree in DS anymore, and although i duplicated it in Resolve, it's not really needed there either

i did look around and could not find any other OFX that has a "make alpha from edges" function, i thought i saw something in Paul Dore's "convoulition" but didn't see it today

nothing i could find in Saphire, HitFilm and RedGiant OFX i have on my machine, maybe there and i didn't look long and hard enough

that said - if it's archival footage, crapy noisy bleeech? maybe looking at the native and/or BCC's restoration OFX might be worthwhile

Dermot Shane

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 3:46 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Now they do have edge detection, and it's a lot faster than BCC. Trust me on this.

oh i trust you on more than that ;-)

but could not find anything but BCC that let me use the edge detect to make an alpha

i didn't look all that hard tho!

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 6:35 am

Edge detect on original noisy plate will give you all your noise back. If it weren't similar to noise in amplitude and spatial size, it would be there after denoise. Your best bet is probably to introduce some grain that is usually perceived as additional detail.
I do stuff

Return to DaVinci Resolve