Dual Screen Crashes - Windows 10 (Solved)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Taylre Jones

Dual Screen Crashes - Windows 10 (Solved)

PostThu May 09, 2019 5:15 pm

Hello, I have been dealing with an issue with Dual Screen setup crashing for the past week. I can replicate the crash perfectly every time without fail. I'll share my information and hope it can help us resolve this major issue.

Capture Logs and Info here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ea2d4vovjvd3 ... KyoCa?dl=0

I have captured logs multiple times in there an all of them were captured directly after a crash.
I can replicate this crash 100% of the time.

This problem started with my new system build.
I have another machine that is running dual screen on Windows 7 with no problems.

With fresh hard drives and fresh drivers for everything I loaded Resolve 15.3.1 Studio (with dongle) into my system. As soon as I choose dual screen while in the color page, I get an instant crash.

You can view a post I made and video attached of a screen capture here to see what it does: https://lowepost.com/forums/topic/1281- ... tor-crash/

I have been able to apply 1 workaround that is unstable. If I change my primary display in resolve from Display 1 to Display 2 and then apply dual screen it works but unstable. The issue is if I save while in dual screen, exit, and try to get back into a project it will crash when attempting to open any project.

I have tired MANY things to resolve this issue and found no success.
It has to be something on the software level I'm thinking related to my motherboard or cpu.

What I have tried with no success:

- Re-install of Resolve multiple times
- Complete reformat of my system and reinstall of windows
- Loading windows onto different hard drives
- Re-seating all my cards and drives
- Loading old and current Nvidia Drivers
- Loading all the latest Windows Drivers
- Loading all the latest chipset X399 drivers
- Loading all the latest Asus Motherboard Drivers
- Upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro
- Tested using different GPU's
- Tested using different monitor plugs (HDMI, Display Port, and Mini Display Port)
- Tested using different monitors at different resolutions
- Tested at different screen resolutions set in Windows
- Tested with or without any extra OFX Plugins
- Tested without only 1 monitor plugged in (will still remain stuck and crash if in dual screen mode)
- Tested swapping windows primary display settings
- Tested different windows scaling options (100%, 125%, 150%)

Since I cannot read logs, I am at a loss as to what I can try at this point.
I submitted my logs and tickets to be reviewed many days ago but haven't heard anything back.

Dual screen is vital for my workflows. I also run into issues at times when I detach my scopes to put them onto a 2nd monitor which is a primary reason for wanting to use dual screen.

If anyone has found a way to fix this or any techs can assist with the problem I'll be very grateful.
Currently Resolve is unreliable at best on a system more than capable of handling high end work.

------------SOLVED------------

Shout out to Dwaine Maggart and Dmitry Kitsov for helping me on the path to solving this issue.

Somehow Nahimic programs cause this issue (I believe it is an audio driver related program.)
I did not have it as a program that was searchable and that I could uninstall but noticed it was a service running in my task manager and appreciate the techs for pointing it out as the cause of the crash.

For anyone else that runs into the issue, you'll need to go into your msconfig and disable "Nahimic service" so that it does not run as a background process and that should solve the issue.
Last edited by Taylre Jones on Wed May 22, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Taylre Jones

Re: Dual Screen Crashes - Windows 10

PostFri May 10, 2019 1:06 am

------------SOLVED------------

Shout out to Dwaine Maggart and Dmitry Kitsov for helping me on the path to solving this issue.

Somehow Nahimic programs cause this issue (I believe it is an audio driver related program.)
I did not have it as a program that was searchable and that I could uninstall but noticed it was a service running in my task manager and appreciate the techs for pointing it out as the cause of the crash.

For anyone else that runs into the issue, you'll need to go into your msconfig and disable "Nahimic service" so that it does not run as a background process and that should solve the issue.

JasonT

Re: Dual Screen Crashes - Windows 10 (Solved)

PostWed May 22, 2019 6:24 pm

Talyre (Jones)!

Thank you so much for posting this solution - and the original issue.

I've been having the same issue - and managed to fix it thanks to your post - and the help given to you by Dwaine Maggart and Dmitry Kitsov.

Thank you all!

Jason

Taylre Jones

PostWed May 22, 2019 8:44 pm

My pleasure Jason, I spent many hours frustrated over this issue. Glad I could help.

MisterQ

PostSat Apr 25, 2020 10:37 am

Thank you so much for your post, I've also been trying to fix this issue for quite some time now and you just made my life easier :p

Return to DaVinci Resolve