Exclude clip from timeline nodes?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jon O'Neill

Exclude clip from timeline nodes?

PostMon May 20, 2019 5:11 pm

Is there a way to exclude individual clips from the influence of "timeline" nodes?

Cary Knoop

Re: Exclude clip from timeline nodes?

PostMon May 20, 2019 5:37 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:Is there a way to exclude individual clips from the influence of "timeline" nodes?

No, I don't think there is.

The question is why would you want to do that because that would make things very confusing when you open a project a few months down the road.

Could you present a case where you think it would be necessary?

Jon O'Neill

PostMon May 20, 2019 6:24 pm

Cary Knoop wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Is there a way to exclude individual clips from the influence of "timeline" nodes?

No, I don't think there is.

The question is why would you want to do that because that would make things very confusing when you open a project a few months down the road.

Could you present a case where you think it would be necessary?

I have a film grain node applied to the timeline, and a slight global colour tweak. But they are both effecting the titles and films logos, so just want a way to exclude these.

iddos-l

PostMon May 20, 2019 6:26 pm

Group all clips. Apply your color and grain.

Cary Knoop

PostMon May 20, 2019 6:34 pm

I would love for Resolve to have an option where timeline nodes can be nested, for instance:

1. You make a timeline Main of the video including a timeline node adding for instance grain and some 'film' curve..
2. Then nest this Main timeline in a Final timeline adding titles.

The current implementation in Resolve applies only the Final timeline nodes and ignores the Main timeline nodes.

In Resolve 16 (which is currently beta) there is an adjustment clip. You place this clip over the whole video and you could place the titles above that.
Last edited by Cary Knoop on Mon May 20, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jon O'Neill

PostMon May 20, 2019 6:35 pm

iddos-l wrote:Group all clips. Apply your color and grain.

Does that mean that I can't make any other groups, if they are just all one big group? excluding the titles?

iddos-l

PostMon May 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:
iddos-l wrote:Group all clips. Apply your color and grain.

Does that mean that I can't make any other groups, if they are just all one big group? excluding the titles?

Unfortunately yeah.
Can’t apply two groups.
You can exclude clips and add other corrections to a new group.
A bit annoying I know.

There’s more than one post here about applying grain scan in different ways like in a separate video track.

For the color I usually avoid timeline correction as a rule.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 20, 2019 7:34 pm

V16, Adjustment clip.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

iddos-l

PostMon May 20, 2019 7:36 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:V16, Adjustment clip.

Right..
Haven’t got it yet.
Great stuff

Sam Steti

PostTue May 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Hey,

Adjustment clip is the v16 answer to often discussed potential "per track grade", where you'd just have to put clips on another track for them to be excluded... Instead you add an adjustment clip on top of clips, and excluded clips on any track above the adjustment clip to remain excluded.

For those like me and probably the OP who are still on 15.3, I think the Shared node is the answer so far...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

iddos-l

PostTue May 21, 2019 2:39 pm

Share nodes are very unstable.
Advised against it.

Sam Steti

PostTue May 21, 2019 4:36 pm

iddos-l wrote:Share nodes are very unstable.
Advised against it.
Huh ???
Never had any issue...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 5:23 am

Respectfully, please try grading this way. It will drive a person insane. Using a long adjustment clip laid over everything makes playback frustrating while grading in the color page because the adjustment layer will keep being selected every time playback head reaches the end of each clip in the lower tracks. Playback clip selection would have to be changed for the adjustment layer method to work. It would be much simpler to have an option to omit selected clips from being affected by timeline nodes. Either that, or an option to omit adjustment clips from the clip timeline in the color page.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

bigflavorfilms

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 4:16 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Respectfully, please try grading this way. It will drive a person insane. Using a long adjustment clip laid over everything makes playback frustrating while grading in the color page because the adjustment layer will keep being selected every time playback head reaches the end of each clip in the lower tracks. Playback clip selection would have to be changed for the adjustment layer method to work. It would be much simpler to have an option to omit selected clips from being affected by timeline nodes. Either that, or an option to omit adjustment clips from the clip timeline in the color page.

I agree with this 100%. There really should be a way to exclude clips from any Timeline adjustments. We are creating video with lower thirds, titles, etc and I don't want any Timeline level adjustments affecting those graphical elements. I"ll keep using the adjustment layer I guess.

Cesar Tejada

PostThu Feb 24, 2022 9:14 pm

bigflavorfilms wrote:
Jamie LeJeune wrote:

I agree with this 100%. There really should be a way to exclude clips from any Timeline adjustments. We are creating video with lower thirds, titles, etc and I don't want any Timeline level adjustments affecting those graphical elements. I"ll keep using the adjustment layer I guess.
That's exactly my problem.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Processor: Intel i7-13700K 16 Cores
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
Memory: Corsair DDR5 64GB
MB: ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI

Jim Simon

PostFri Feb 25, 2022 9:17 pm

Cary Knoop wrote:Could you present a case where you think it would be necessary?
Titles
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Feb 26, 2022 2:52 am

Cary Knoop wrote:Could you present a case where you think it would be necessary?

Jim Simon wrote:Titles

And (in many cases) logos and motion graphics.
www.cinedocs.com

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Feb 26, 2022 3:02 am

also adjustment clips will only works when you play ALL CLIPS, if you ar ein a group they will not act.

I usually use the groups: looks goes there, and title will not have the look applied...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Robert Arnold

PostSat Feb 26, 2022 4:22 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:

Hi Jamie! One thing you can do in this situation (when you have a long adjustment clip) is to temporarily show the timeline on the color page and option-click the track that has the adjustment clip. The track ID should turn red and all thumbnails of clips on that track will disappear. That way the thumbnail for that (very long) clip won't be shown and won't affect playback continuity.

I *do* agree though that it would be good to be able to exclude clips from a timeline grade.

Other ideas:
1) allow more than one group to be assigned to a clip (kind of like layers)
2) in addition to having a timeline grade, have a track grade. (I believe this is how it used to be, if I remember right.....)

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Feb 26, 2022 4:48 am

Robert Arnold wrote: Hi Jamie! One thing you can do in this situation (when you have a long adjustment clip) is to temporarily show the timeline on the color page and option-click the track that has the adjustment clip. The track ID should turn red and all thumbnails of clips on that track will disappear. That way the thumbnail for that (very long) clip won't be shown and won't affect playback continuity.
Robert! Thank you so much! Perfect. That solves it right there. Much appreciated!
www.cinedocs.com

Rick van den Berg

PostSat Feb 26, 2022 11:37 am

I'm still searching for a good way to apply look A to certain scenes, look B to certain scenes, and apply the same rec709 transformation/overall look to everything without using the timeline node, as i almost always use a few graphics elements which i don't want to affect. Instead of the timeline node for the final look/rec709 transformation, i now mostly use shared nodes between these groups. But it feels a bit cumbersome. It could be so much cleaner if a clip could be excluded from the timeline node.

Jim Simon

PostSat Feb 26, 2022 4:17 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:I'm still searching for a good way to...apply the same rec709 transformation...to everything

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

waltervolpatto

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 12:55 am

Rick van den Berg wrote:I'm still searching for a good way to apply look A to certain scenes, look B to certain scenes, and apply the same rec709 transformation/overall look to everything without using the timeline node, as i almost always use a few graphics elements which i don't want to affect. Instead of the timeline node for the final look/rec709 transformation, i now mostly use shared nodes between these groups. But it feels a bit cumbersome. It could be so much cleaner if a clip could be excluded from the timeline node.

i use groups per scene. that solve 99.9% of cases.

group ADFG gets look A
group BCHJI gets look B
group E gets whatever
group text gets nothing...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Rick van den Berg

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 9:31 am

and where do you put your color space transform nodes if group ADFG is shot with different camera's?

waltervolpatto

PostWed Mar 02, 2022 6:37 am

Rick van den Berg wrote:and where do you put your color space transform nodes if group ADFG is shot with different camera's?

All space Transforms bring the camera in the common logarithmic space where i di the color (loc/acez/ipp2/slog, whatever applies)

Therefore the look only have a single color space to deal with it.

Log to log transform is either on first node or directly as DCTL(or lut) on the shot itself so i don't even think about it

Robert Arnold

PostThu Mar 03, 2022 12:12 am

This reminds me of another thing that would be nice: a Duplicate Group command. It's often the case that I'm using a group for the look on a bunch of shots and the clients wants a tweak (like "a little less grain", for example) on *some* of those shots. It would be great to be able to just duplicate and then subsequently edit a group (in this example keeping everything the same except the grain node), instead of having to save off a still of the group, then create a new group, then apply the still to that group, *then* edit.

Return to DaVinci Resolve