Suspicious file hardlock.sys - is that from Resolve?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

G0bble

Suspicious file hardlock.sys - is that from Resolve?

PostWed May 22, 2019 6:47 am

Hi Folks
I was generally scanning my event logs and found a file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\hardlock.sys had been blocked from loading. Googling around I see this about the file:

The genuine hardlock.sys file is a software component of Aladdin HASP by Aladdin Knowledge Systems.
Aladdin HASP (Hardware Against Software Piracy) a digital rights management (DRM) suite of protection and licensing software. Hardlock.sys is a filter driver that is necessary for the proper functioning of HASP

However there are many search results that indicate malware could be hiding as this particular file.
Knowing that Resolve uses a hardware dongle for licensing - I am wondering if this could be 3rd-party vendor file installed with Resolve? I am trying to track down the source of this file.

Thanks!
Rahul
DVR Studio
Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 3900X, Nvidia RTX 3080FE,32GB RAM, SM951 M.2 AHCI SSD Boot, 512GB WD Blue nvme scratch

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Suspicious file hardlock.sys - is that from Resolve?

PostWed May 22, 2019 9:49 am

It's a valid file related to dongle drivers. If you have virus in it then it's a different (your) problem.
Check your file with antivirus app or online.
Also- don't ever trust those website which say a lot of crap about dlls and at the end offer some app to fix them!

Greg_E

Re: Suspicious file hardlock.sys - is that from Resolve?

PostWed May 22, 2019 7:40 pm

I don't use a software activation code, so take this for what i is, but many applications that use software (web) based activation are using the Aladdin system to provide that activation. And it will be included since this software can also b activated with a dongle. It's presence wouldn't bother me unless something blocked it and why it was blocked.

Return to DaVinci Resolve