keyboard shortcut: switch focus to source viewer?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

weegee

keyboard shortcut: switch focus to source viewer?

PostWed May 22, 2019 7:56 pm

Resolve 16 beta, in Media workspace, I click on a clip in bottom panel. Clicking shift-I to get to in-point doesn't work unless I click on source viewer above. Is there a shortcut that will highlight the source viewer, instead of clicking on it?

Jack Swart

Re: keyboard shortcut: switch focus to source viewer?

PostWed May 22, 2019 8:19 pm

Q toggles between the source and record viewers, so if your focus is the timeline, one press of Q goes to source and the next press of Q to goes to record.
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

weegee

PostWed May 22, 2019 9:48 pm

Jack Swart wrote:Q toggles between the source and record viewers, so if your focus is the timeline, one press of Q goes to source and the next press of Q to goes to record.

Thanks Jack, I didn't know that one, it's helpful. However, I'm looking for a shortcut for use in the Media workspace, not going from timeline, but doing from source clips. Example: I have a source clip highlighted, I'm entering metadata for it, but I want to switch focus to viewer, to go to in-point.

Jim Simon

PostThu May 23, 2019 2:59 pm

There are no shortcuts for panel selection on the Media page. However, Shift+I will take yo to the In point of the currently loaded clip.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostThu May 23, 2019 3:19 pm

Huh? ctrl-1 will take you to the source viewer from the media pool. Shift-I won't work unless the source viewer is also active at the time (red highlight), but in that case, the space bar will also work.

Jim Simon

PostThu May 23, 2019 3:22 pm

John Paines wrote:from the media pool.

I was talking about the Media page.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostThu May 23, 2019 3:29 pm

But you can't add metadata from the media page ("I have a source clip highlighted, I'm entering metadata for it") -- so I assume he must mean "media pool"?

Jim Simon

PostThu May 23, 2019 3:30 pm

Huh?

The Media page was designed for managing clip Metadata.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostThu May 23, 2019 3:33 pm

You're saying you can enter metadata to clips which aren't in the Media Pool? From "Media Storage"? I can't.

We have here "Media Pool" and "Media Storage" -- to use Resolve's terms for them. Which do you mean?

weegee

PostThu May 23, 2019 4:16 pm

Jim Simon wrote:There are no shortcuts for panel selection on the Media page. However, Shift+I will take yo to the In point of the currently loaded clip.

I can't get shift+I to work to get to in-point, unless I click on the source viewer, after having the clip highlighted to add metadata. On Mac, 16 beta 3.

Jim Simon

PostFri May 24, 2019 2:35 pm

John Paines wrote:You're saying you can enter metadata to clips which aren't in the Media Pool?

I don't understand why you would ask about clips not yet imported?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostFri May 24, 2019 2:37 pm

weegee wrote:I can't get shift+I to work to get to in-point, unless I click on the source viewer

Yeah, I'm seeing that now, too. I thought I had it working yesterday. Now I'm not sure.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostFri May 24, 2019 3:05 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
John Paines wrote:You're saying you can enter metadata to clips which aren't in the Media Pool?

Because you're insisting that there's no shortcut from the Media Pool (the Resolve term), where metadata can be entered, to the Source viewer. But there is such a shortcut -- ctrl-1 -- which will work as long as you're not inside a metadata field. So I wondered if you're actually talking about a different page -- the Media Storage page -- from which there's no direct exit to the source viewer.

Anyway, the OP doesn't seem interested in this suggestion either, so maybe I have no idea what you guys are actually seeking to do.

weegee

PostFri May 24, 2019 4:23 pm

John Paines wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:

Because you're insisting that there's no shortcut from the Media Pool (the Resolve term), where metadata can be entered, to the Source viewer. But there is such a shortcut -- ctrl-1 -- which will work as long as you're not inside a metadata field. So I wondered if you're actually talking about a different page -- the Media Storage page -- from which there's no direct exit to the source viewer.

Anyway, the OP doesn't seem interested in this suggestion either, so maybe I have no idea what you guys are actually seeking to do.

John, I tried ctrl-1 (also command-1) before, and again just now, and it's not working for me. I'm attaching a screen shot in case there's confusion. I'm not leaving cursor in metadata field, but clicking on a clip in bottom pane, so it's highlighted. Then ctrl-1, then shift-I, doesn't work. I have to click on the viewer to get shift-I to work.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 9.22.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 9.22.17 AM.png (901.23 KiB) Viewed 5433 times

John Paines

PostFri May 24, 2019 4:48 pm

We have a confusion of terms here. You're on the Media Storage page, not in the "Media Pool". There's a viewer in the Media Storage page, but it's not usually called the "source viewer" (which is on the Edit page).

I don't believe there's any shortcut to move from a highlighted clip to that viewer. But note that subclip creation is usually done on the Edit page, not here.

weegee

PostFri May 24, 2019 5:17 pm

John Paines wrote:We have a confusion of terms here. You're on the Media Storage page, not in the "Media Pool". There's a viewer in the Media Storage page, but it's not usually called the "source viewer" (which is on the Edit page).

I don't believe there's any shortcut to move from a highlighted clip to that viewer. But note that subclip creation is usually done on the Edit page, not here.

OK, thanks for the reply.

FWIW, I didn't call it the media pool, but I did use the term "source viewer." What is the proper term for the viewer on the Media Storage page?

Jean Claude

PostFri May 24, 2019 5:39 pm

weegee wrote:
John Paines wrote:We have a confusion of terms here. You're on the Media Storage page, not in the "Media Pool". There's a viewer in the Media Storage page, but it's not usually called the "source viewer" (which is on the Edit page).

OK, thanks for the reply.

FWIW, I didn't call it the media pool, but I did use the term "source viewer." What is the proper term for the viewer on the Media Storage page?

Hello,

Not 100% certain but in the manual for the Media tab: we call the viewer: "Viewer" which is implicitly a source viewer before Timeline (Add metadata, Subclip, Analyse...etc...smart Bin,... sort...)

In the Edit tab: there is "Source Viewer" and "Timeline Viewer",

etc ... :oops:

Maybe in manual V16 exists other name?
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Marc Wielage

PostSun May 26, 2019 1:01 am

Jean Claude wrote:Maybe in manual V16 exists other name?

Still no Resolve 16 manual per se yet. The manual "labeled" Resolve 16 in the current 16b3 release is still the 15.3 manual. I'm sure it's being worked on, but when it's going to be out, I gots no idea.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostSun May 26, 2019 3:08 pm

John Paines wrote:Because you're insisting that there's no shortcut from the Media Pool (the Resolve term), where metadata can be entered, to the Source viewer.

No, I'm saying that on the Media page, those shortcuts are disabled.

John Paines wrote:the Media Storage page -- from which there's no direct exit to the source viewer.

That's what I've been saying the whole time.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSun May 26, 2019 3:14 pm

John Paines wrote:We have a confusion of terms here. You're on the Media Storage

It's just called the Media page. "Media Storage" is one of the columns you can open and close on the left side of that page, right next to Clone Tool.

And I do think it was made clear the OP was working on this page from the very first post. I think the misunderstanding was yours.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve