Newbie - Problem: Insufficient Handles (??)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

gbuckley

Newbie - Problem: Insufficient Handles (??)

PostSun May 26, 2019 12:58 pm

Downloaded the free DaVinci Resolve V15 (Think it's V15.3.1.003). It was working really well and have been trying to get myself up to speed - was really liking what I was seeing and so did a ton of training over 4 days to see if a move to Resolve is something to do. In all over a pretty intense 4 days software has been working well very well - no problems. But came on today to do some more editing/grading/training etc ... and now have a problem ... I have no idea what it is, why it has now suddenly occurred, or how to fix ... if it can be fixed. To the Problem ... It started as I was putting a Transition effect in between 2 clips. A Message Box came up that says "Some of the clips selected have insufficient handles to apply transition. You can choose to trim and shorten your timeline or skip clips with insufficient handles". I've tried completely new clips, reinstalled DaVinci about 3 times, run as Administrator, Reset Preferences, read what I can in the manual. I notice that in the Thumbnail clips a red line is on the bottom of the clip. Also when placing the cursor at the beginning, end, or in between two clips there is a red shade/region - all I guess pointing to some kind of error. Nothing I'm doing is working. My Laptop is not the latest and greatest, but for 4 days was working really well with no obvious errors or problems. I've used the Color Grading today ... seems to work. Ok, really appreciate any help on this one as I have invested allot and would really like to move over to Resolve if that doable/workable. Thx in advance ...
Attachments
Transition Problem Pic 1.png
insufficient handles to apply transition
Transition Problem Pic 1.png (15.8 KiB) Viewed 21595 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Newbie - Problem: Insufficient Handles (??)

PostMon May 27, 2019 1:39 am

When you add a transition, there needs to be some clip length, handle, after the edit point, (or before if its the trailing clip)

This message is telling you there is insufficient clip length. Click on the clip near the edit point and you will see a white box showing the handle length. If it doesn't go past the transition length, the handle is too short.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Roen Davis

PostMon May 27, 2019 2:55 am

Dissolve diagram.png
Dissolve diagram.png (314.8 KiB) Viewed 21586 times

Not sure if this helps cast some light...
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

mp3markel

PostSun Mar 03, 2024 2:18 am

Roen Davis wrote:
Dissolve diagram.png

Not sure if this helps cast some light...

Thank you, it just helped me! I'm going through the Age of Airplanes training and realized I couldn't apply a transition effect to the beginning b-roll clips since the clip was not long enough to cover the transition effect. Come to find out the tutorial didn't require the effect on those clips anyway.

Return to DaVinci Resolve