Laptop for university and Video editing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

_david_98

Laptop for university and Video editing

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 5:26 pm

Hey!

I've read a lot in forums. However, I am still very unsure on what's the best solution. I have a desktop PC (I7 4790, 16gb ram, gtx960) at home, which I mainly use for editing. I will study this year and need a laptop which I would like to use vor small editings (without color correction and effects, I will mainly use my desktop pc) and lightroom.

I know that a dedicated graphics card will be much better. But do you think a Dell xps 13 for example will work for small edits? Or is it completely unusable without a dedicated graphics card?

And which laptop can you recommend?

I shoot with a Sony A7iii in 4k and 1080p.

Thank you so much!! :)

Jim Simon

Re: Laptop for university and Video editing

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 7:13 pm

I can say that I would not want to do this job with anything less than a 24" screen (and even that is kinda small). There is no Laptop in the world with a screen that large. Throw in the crappy keyboards and insufficient internal drives on all Laptops and even for the smallest projects, I'd use the desktop.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Carsten Sellberg

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 7:32 pm

Hi.

In all PC's, both desktops and laptops the CPU and the GPU generate heat. We really see the problem with the heat generated by the GPU when using Davinci Reolve, as all the image processing are done in the GPU. We have NOT YET seen a small laptop with sufficient cooling to get rid of the generated heat.
But we have seen several small laptops with terrible cooling solutions. There is a user of this forum that own a Dell xps. He call the thermal design of it for a joke.

I do normally recommend people on the road to look for a medium to large sized laptop, so it can get rid of the generated heat. And 4K/UHD have 4 times the pixels of HD, and require better hardware. For 4K resolutions do I normally recommend a Graphics Card with at least 8 GB of VRam.

The best laptops for Resolve is a powerfull Gamer Laptop with extra Ram and may be an extra MVMe SSD. Here is a link to some:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookc ... 456.0.html

If you click on one of them, you go to a detailed review with advantages and disadvantages of that particular model.

Today I saw 'Save a crazy US$1,450 on an Alienware 17 R5 with a Core i9-8950HK, a GeForce GTX 1080 and 32 GB of RAM'

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Save-a-cr ... 745.0.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 3_qhd.html

I have not yet decided, if I think it is a good offer, but I will like to show it to you, anyway.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

_david_98

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 7:34 pm

Yes, I think so too! It's only on the go if I'm not at home. At home, I own a 24 "monitor.

_david_98

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 7:43 pm

@Carsten Sellberg

So, the best thing would be so buy a gaming laptop. But for example I also heard about heat problems with the razer blade..
Is that because DaVinci Resolve takes so much power? Premiere Pro has a bad performance, but it still runs "OK" even without a dedicated graphics card?

Perhaps it makes the most sense to use the laptop for university as well as photo editing and just cut on the desktop pc?..

thetedcaolore

PostSun Jul 14, 2019 6:25 am

You are looking a laptop for video editing and university and so that will need a powerful laptop for video editing along with lightweight design so that you can carry it at university. Before years, the laptops with higher performance were bulky but now, that's not the case. You can get high-end performance along with lightweight design. Now, there are lots of lightweight+powerful laptops available in the market and that confuses all. So, check out the 10 best laptops for video editing here - https://mylaptopguide.com/best-laptop-f ... o-editing/.

Return to DaVinci Resolve