Experimental scene, what am I doing wrong?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

austindonald1

Experimental scene, what am I doing wrong?

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 6:08 pm

I need Professional advice/tips with this Experimental short film scene I created using the original BMPCC with Sigma Art 18-35 lens.
Camera set to 180 shutter at 3400
set on RAW in Camera.
ISO 800
Davinci Resolve project settings, set to Cine dng and Camera Metadata (should I also set it to cine dng Default vs Camera Metada data?)

The reason i wanted it slightly dark... a quick scenerio of the feel I'm trying to achieve with the correct lighting...
in this end scene, Detective, while reviewing an Alien Wikiepedia website, recently learned he may have been duped with whom he originally thought was an Alien suspect, then as it fades to black, music still playing, credits will roll.

I need help! (lots of it,lol) What adjustments should I make to make this turn out better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 7kBArv6DZw
Donald Austin

Gary Hango

Re: Experimental scene, what am I doing wrong?

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 6:55 pm

To me, there needs to be more color in the scene. Even though it’s supposed to be dark, the coloring looks drab (unless that’s what you’re going for). More color, more contrast. Also, the computer monitor is over exposed. Put a power window around it and bring it down a bit. Since you shot raw, you shouldn’t have any problems.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

austindonald1

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 11:02 pm

Gary Hango wrote:To me, there needs to be more color in the scene. Even though it’s supposed to be dark, the coloring looks drab (unless that’s what you’re going for). More color, more contrast. Also, the computer monitor is over exposed. Put a power window around it and bring it down a bit. Since you shot raw, you shouldn’t have any problems.

thanks, im still trying to figure out how the power window works. with those multiple lines in the square and when i managed to darken screen, i was stuck in that mode and every time i tried different luts, it only changed the computer screen. I dont know how to save it then get back to full edit.
Donald Austin

Brad Hurley

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 12:15 am

You might want to read chapter 1 of this: https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... ection.pdf just to get the basics down, and the same author did the introduction to color grading video tutorial that you can find at https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training

You should focus first on the primary grade (contrast, saturation, balancing colors) before you move on to secondary corrections like adding the power window.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Craig Howard

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 5:20 am

Hey Donald

Can you post up a link to an image frame from your clip eg. one with the person in the shot...at an HD rez (1920 x 1080).

Even better if you had a RAW frame but I am not sure how you would do that. (Note to myself..find out)

For now...as a D.P I can see a lot wrong with the scene as lit and exposed eg you did not protect the shadows or the highlights...but the issue is how to fix or improve it.

Masking and power windows will be key to doing so. It can be made better so let some of us try and then we can show you how.
Craig Howard - AKA Shooter
D.P, Editor, Producer - Shooter Film Company
Hawke's Bay , New Zealand

Windows 10 PC, Da Vinci Resolve 15.x,

austindonald1

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 3:00 pm

Craig Howard wrote:Hey Donald

Can you post up a link to an image frame from your clip eg. one with the person in the shot...at an HD rez (1920 x 1080).

Even better if you had a RAW frame but I am not sure how you would do that. (Note to myself..find out)

For now...as a D.P I can see a lot wrong with the scene as lit and exposed eg you did not protect the shadows or the highlights...but the issue is how to fix or improve it.

Masking and power windows will be key to doing so. It can be made better so let some of us try and then we can show you how.

not sure how to post a link from image frame
Donald Austin

Return to DaVinci Resolve