No Alpha Render since 15?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ulysses Paiva

No Alpha Render since 15?

PostFri Jul 12, 2019 12:40 pm

Am I the only one who can't export alpha from Resolve on Windows?

I dont remember trying it in version 14 and previous as I used to do a lot more things in After Effects back then, but since v15 and now on v16, rendering alpha is not working properly. I dont want image sequences, so my only option is Quicktime, either on DNxHR or Uncompressed. With both, I can render the alpha but files dont go further than 5 seconds. Tried different approaches and its the same. I'm importing it back to Resolve and, of course, I'm on the Studio version.
Ulysses Paiva

Jean Claude

Re: No Alpha Render since 15?

PostFri Jul 12, 2019 5:19 pm

Alpha Straight or premultiplied or invert?
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Jul 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Jean Claude wrote:Alpha Straight or premultiplied or invert?

Whatever that would work. In my case, I got it to work but clips dont render more than 5 seconds of real video.
Ulysses Paiva

Jean Claude

PostSat Jul 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Hello,

it always works the same way:
(here a test with a solid color => compound clip)
Color Tab
For example 1 powerWindows + Alpha output
Solution 1:
Delivery: single clip, the alpha is 'Premultiplied'
alpha.jpg

When importing the clip into Davinci Resolve, you have to change manually in clip attribute: Alpha in 'Premultiplied' and it works

Solution 2:
Delivery, Choose Indibidual clips, Then there is an option 'Export Alpha' and 'Alpha Mode' => Straight for example
When you import the video in Davinci Resolve, in clip attribute: Alpha is automatically 'Straight' and it works
alpha_individual_straight.jpg

Solution 3 with Fusion Page:
Add a matte with (ie) ChromaKeyer + saver node and make a render all Saver (in EXR only)
When you import the clip in Davinci Resolve, in clip attribute: Alpha is automatically 'Premultiplied' and it works
alpha___FU__EXR.jpg

Other solutions is to go through a VFX connect clip => Fusion but it's more only Davinci Resolve
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Return to DaVinci Resolve