Generate all the optimized media at once?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

penbotsu

Generate all the optimized media at once?

PostFri Jul 12, 2019 8:12 pm

Hi there.

For a perfect workflow, I'd like to generate optimized media from all the clips of a project, before I even start to put something on the timeline.

But I have the issue, that when I hit Ctrl-A to mark everything and starting to generate, it will just stop after some clips. No message. So my idea of letting the media be generated while I'll doing some other stuff is really not gonna happen and my question is: Why?

Right now I can mark maybe 10 to 20 clips at once and do the process. Why there is a limit and why there is not even a message if it not ends the task completely?

penbotsu

Re: Generate all the optimized media at once?

PostSun Jul 21, 2019 5:57 am

So.. nobody ever had this problem? (".)

Darren Abate

PostSun Jul 21, 2019 8:45 pm

penbotsu wrote:So.. nobody ever had this problem? (".)

Silly question, but have you verified that there is ample disk space in the location where you've selected to save your optimized files?

Uli Plank

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 2:45 am

I have optimized dozens, if not hundreds of clips in a row without such a problem.
Did you check if the next clip after the last optimized one is playing in DR without a hiccup?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

penbotsu

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi there! :D

Now I have to apologize to answer only so late. I am sorry. :(

Enough space is there, sure. ;)
But about the hickups.. yes, this could be an issue.

If I select a lot of drone clips (tried it a time ago just to test), everything was fine. The other clips are from an iPhone X. When I had been working on my last video, I found out, that some of the clips were shot with 60fps, but were detected by Resolve only with 55 or 57 frames. I found that out, because some of the clips were stuttering in the timeline, but not when I played it in Windows (or on the phone).

However what happens on these clips if played in Windows is, that there is a lot of stuttering going on in the first ~1,5 seconds and then the clip has solid 60fps. Looks like Resolve is taking the frames of a clip and just divides it by it's time. Because I cut the first 2 seconds from a flawed clip and imported it again: 60fps.

Later I read, that the iPhones 60fps is not set in stone, but more like a goal (which reaches it almost everytime though).

So, this could explain that. But what I still not understand, is, that Resolve would stop on these files. Even if they would be just 55 frames or just 10 frames for the first second.. why matter? And why it is perfectly working then if I just reselect some (not all) files and start to optimize the media?

Anyway, thanks already for the clues. :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve