Workspace layouts with keyboard shortcuts

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Taylorf

Workspace layouts with keyboard shortcuts

PostSun Jul 14, 2019 3:08 am

Is it possible to map a workspace layout (Workspace>Layout Preset>(Preset of Choice)>Load Preset) to a keyboard shortcut?

I much prefer the dual screen layout that I have but as I am still fairly new to Resolve I frequently watch youtube videos so I will revert back to single screen view so I can follow along with the youtube video on the other screen. The problem is when I switch back to dual screen mode it resets all of the "customizations" that I have made to the layout. I created a keyboard shortcut to switch between dual and single screen but it resets the layout each time. I currently must switch to dual screen mode via keyboard shortcut then click on workspace and load the layout preset I have made.

I cannot figure out how to map my preset to a keyboard shortcut in the Keyboard Customization page but with the frequency that I switch between the two modes it would save me a great deal of time if I could simply map my layout to a shortcut. Any ideas?

robozb

Re: Workspace layouts with keyboard shortcuts

PostWed Jan 29, 2020 9:11 am

It would be great, shortcuts for custom layout presets. But layout presets don't work well, eg. those don't set timeline view options properly.

mechanicus

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 2:12 pm

This is a HUGE request!

Please BM give us the flexibility to speedup workflow. The layouts are (specially when having a portable setup) very dynamic. You add so much functionality into Resolve already so to keep up I have multiple layouts for intuition. Have to keep using the mouse and that is a huge drag!
--
M1max
64GB/8T

christianevangelista_

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 8:33 am

It will be very powerfull! :o :o

wajonespress

PostTue Jan 10, 2023 12:49 am

Big +1 for this.

I've said previously, having the option to choose a default Workspace for each tab would work for my workflow as well.

E.g. - When I click the edit tab, DV defaults to my "Studio Edit" workspace (keeping the timeline in my ultrawide monitor and Viewer on my colour accurate monitor)
- And when I click the color tab, it defaults to my "Studio Color" workspace (to keep the Viewer in the colour calibrated monitor and my scopes, keyframes, and clips in my ultrawide).
Mac Studio (2022)
Apple M1 Max, 32GB RAM

Peter Cave

PostTue Jan 10, 2023 4:16 am

+100
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jan 10, 2023 6:37 am

Yes, I wish that could be done. I think the problem is the dropdown menu changes according to every custom workspace layout you create, so if Colorist A had 3 workspaces ("Layout 1," "Layout 2," "Layout 3"), but Colorist B had 3 different workspaces ("Commercial," "Feature," "Editing"), I'm not sure a macro could find them.

They could re-engineer the Workspaces to call them WS1, WS2, WS3 and so on, but it's still tricky.

I think there are 3rd party mouse-driven macro programs that can select a drop-down menu and move off to the side for more drop-down choices, but (the last time I did it) you have to build in a certain amount of delay, so timing is critical.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Johannes Hoffmann

PostTue Jan 10, 2023 8:39 am

I use Keyboard Maestro for this. It has a macro action that can select any submenu by name (no mouse movements involved).
Keyboard Maestro is mac only but I guess there are similar tools for Win and Unix too.
Johannes
Apple M1 Max, 32GB, 32 GB GPU – macOS Monterey
almost retired: MacPro 5.1, 48GB, RX 580 – macOS Mojave

gavin_lucas

PostSun Aug 20, 2023 4:35 pm

+1

Sean Nelson

PostSun Aug 20, 2023 5:53 pm

I use two monitors and I have a keyboard shortcut that switches between one-monitor and two-monitor mode, with works very nicely for me. (Actually I have 3 monitors and use the third for video clean feed).

My only gripe is that the Fusion page refuses to recognize the shortcut properly, so I have to remember to switch modes on a different page.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

mbpdev

PostWed Jan 17, 2024 7:11 pm

+1

I have to setup single use workspaces for low/no skill users.

The ability to map a shortcut for them to go right into there workspace would be a HUGE PLUS for us.

Return to DaVinci Resolve