Resolve takes forever to open projects!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Fred Trevino

Resolve takes forever to open projects!

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 7:42 pm

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if someone could help me with this. I've noticed my Resolve is taking forever to open projects, especially a feature I just started. Also, today the average save took about 5 min each.... very very annoying. Obviously my shorter projects don't take this long but still much longer than usual. Does anyone know what could be done to speed this up? Doesn't seem to matter if something is shot on the Red or a GH5, very sluggish. Thanks in advance and let me know what info you may need. I think my system is definitely fast enough for most projects. (see signature below)
Fred | Da Vinci Resolve Colorist | Brooklyn, NY
Mac Studio M1 Max w/ 10 Core CPU, 24 Core GPU
32GB RAM, OS 13.5.2, Resolve Studio 18.6.1
Mini Monitor 4K, Flanders Scientific monitor, Micro Panel

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve takes forever to open projects!

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 3:42 am

Which version of Resolve? What was the first Resolve version you started observing this behavior from? Do you have any comparative numbers with versions before that?

Could you post a link (or DM me) an exported project file and a diagnostic log archive?

Fred Trevino

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 11:15 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Which version of Resolve? What was the first Resolve version you started observing this behavior from? Do you have any comparative numbers with versions before that?

Could you post a link (or DM me) an exported project file and a diagnostic log archive?

Currently I'm on 15.3.1 but I've noticed this since 15.2.4 I believe. As far as comparative numbers, no but before things opened immediately or at most after 10-15 sec. Now some projects literally take 5-6 min to open. (That I've have timed). Even small projects take 1-2 min - something I also timed. Also, I've noticed that when I quit the program a lot of times I get the message that Resolve quit unexpectedly afterwards.

How exactly do I export a Log Archive? thanks!

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 3:45 am

Help menu > Create Diagnostic Log Archive.
See viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190#16

TechManiacHD

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 2:10 pm

I've the same problem from... forever actually. Resolve struggling ages to get into to projects and to open it. About 5-10 minutes I would say.

Some programs might be on the way for Resolve, but what, where and why...?
I uninstalled CORSAIR iCUE as someone mentioned that it has an impact on it, but nothing changed.

Ryzen 3600X [FCLK 1866 MHz]
32GB RAM 3733MHz CL17
System with Resolve is on NVMe drive. All footage on 3xSSD SATA in RAID0
RTX 2080Ti

Fred Trevino

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 3:26 pm

TechManiacHD wrote:I've the same problem from... forever actually. Resolve struggling ages to get into to projects and to open it. About 5-10 minutes I would say.

Some programs might be on the way for Resolve, but what, where and why...?
I uninstalled CORSAIR iCUE as someone mentioned that it has an impact on it, but nothing changed.

Ryzen 3600X [FCLK 1866 MHz]
32GB RAM 3733MHz CL17
System with Resolve is on NVMe drive. All footage on 3xSSD SATA in RAID0
RTX 2080Ti

What ended up working for me tremendously is creating a new database and manually copying over the projects that I still needed. I had so many projects that that was slowing things down. On my new database I only copied over the past years projects that I might need. I'd say this easily sped things up and are now opening up quickly.

RCModelReviews

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 4:49 pm

Not wishing to hijack the thread but I wish BMD would offer a non-database option for project files. Unless you're working in a colaborative environment (which many of us aren't), it's just so much easier and more robust for the project files to live in the parent directory of each project. Vegas works this way.

This is the way I've done it for years with other NLEs and means that I can back up the entire project, including the project database) with the simple drag and drop of the top level folder. I can also restore by draging the files back from my backup storage to my work drive.

This model doesn't slow down as you get more active projects either.. it's highly deterministic.

Just allow users to select to use either a central (shared) project database or separate database for each project.

How many others would find this useful?
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Jim Simon

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 10:52 pm

You can export .drp files for archiving. You can also Import them back into a database to restore.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

RCModelReviews

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 2:36 am

Jim Simon wrote:You can export .drp files for archiving. You can also Import them back into a database to restore.

It's still an extra step and you are still at the mercy of a database corruption effectively screwing with *all* your projects.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 5:21 am

DRP files exist independently of databases.

Different people use different organisational structures with DaVinci Resolve. Using a single monolithic database allows for ease of listing and switching projects. Using one disk database per project allows the user to locate each project in a custom manner (e.g alongside media).

Regardless of the organisational structure you use, exporting DRPs is a good backup option. Double clicking a DRP imports the information into DaVinci Resolve's current database, so unless you explicitly delete or overwrite the DRP file with another exported project, you can reuse that DRP even if your project is deleted from the project manager, or your database gets corrupt from an overzealous SQL script.

Igor Riđanović

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 6:31 pm

Go to user preferences and make sure "Load all timelines when opening projects" checkbox is disabled. It's under Project Save and Load.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Return to DaVinci Resolve