davinci resolve 15 color correction manual

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

robodog1

• Warnings: 1

davinci resolve 15 color correction manual

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 8:20 pm

I'm on lesson 4 of project 2 ( about page 112 ?? ) to learn import of xml and conforming ( age of airplanes is the source footage). I have version 15.1.3 and the instructions are not correct but that's not the main problem. The problem is that mediainfo ( pc) says LQ and HQ are both prores 422 720p. The reference mov is 1080p. The timeline is 1080p. My video ( SDI fed to video reference monitor) is full HD for showing timeline ( is not upscaling from 720p). The sound is out of sync with a clip ( interview 2 ) and I want to continue to learn the rest of the tutorial ( re: nodes and parallel and mixer, etc. ), but so far I am having trouble with this particular project ( project 2, lesson 4, color correction with Davinci Resolve 15 ).

Why is the metadata showing 720p for both LQ and HQ in source folders ?
Why does it tell me to duplicate timeline the wrong way ( have to go to edit instead).

Is there any correction that has been made to this tutorial and source material where I can start from scratch on this project using 15.1.3 … because at this point I am not fond of the sloppy manual instructions even though I love everyone who worked so hard on it to help me ( an idiot ) to learn the program ?

I pray to God you will get in touch with me somehow to let me know someone has responded to this post, because I assume it is somehow connected to my email address ???

Thanks !
Rod

Marc Wielage

Re: davinci resolve 15 color correction manual

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 1:03 am

I don't know if this will help, but Resolve 15.3.1 was the last "final" version of Resolve 15, and that may fix some bugs here and there.

I've been through the entire regular editing and Advanced editing classes, and we never had a problem... but we were all using iMacs. You would think it would work fine on Windows, but I dunno.

What are your hardware specs and OS?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

robodog1

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 3:15 am

Thanks for reply Marc, I reversed my numbers. I got 15.3.1 not 15.1.3. Have the latest. My problem is with this one tutorial in the color correction manual lesson ( importing xml and conforming / replacing LQ with HQ stuff. After the initial stuff then it will go on to working with nodes a bit..which I'd like to work on.
I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the tutorial instructions and source materials. It's not conforming properly. All the source materials ( LQ and HQ ) are 720p ( except reference mov which is 1080p). It's on a 1080p timeline ( probably why my video monitor is showing the whole frame as 1080 out of SDI ). Normally a 720 project will have black bars around it.
I think this particular tutorial was written for 15.1 and not for 15.3 which changed some menu items.

So, I'm wondering if there is some place where a revised ( updated) lesson is located just for that one lesson. It's lesson 4 ( project 2 ).

I guess the HQ stuff is 720 cause someone decided the download time and file size would be too big if it was 1080. Who knows.

This sample stuff is 'the age of airplanes' which was also used in the 'essential editing' book for resolve 15, and THAT material (and timeline) was 720p. I still have it on my computer and looked at it to see if I can use it to do the node part of the lesson but it's kinda small on my video monitor.

If there's no 'updated' 'corrected' lesson ( hopefully with real HQ material ) I'll maybe just delete the sound ( some is out of sync ) and try to finish the node stuff using the 720p material. Not much choice.

: (

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 11:02 am

robodog1 wrote:Normally a 720 project will have black bars around it. (

Well, you can choose "Scale Entire Image to Fit" for Mismatched Resolution Files in Image Scaling, and see if it then fills the frame, if that's your only problem.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

robodog1

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 12:51 pm

Thanks Marc. That's what the BM tutorial people must have done...set the timeline ( which is 1080p) settings to scale up their 720 footage. This tutorial is the one where you 'pretend' that you got a project from someone else for 'grading'. It's about how to open the timeline ( which will have LQ footage, some of which you have to fix up a bit (conform compared to a reference mov (offline in source monitor)). It never occurred to me that all the material would be LQ ( prores 422 720p ) in both LQ and HQ source folders, put into a 1080p timeline. I've gone through all the clips using mediainfo and that's the case. So I really DON'T get HQ stuff. And what I DO SEE in timeline is what you suggested... a setting to scale UP the 720 stuff. I'll double check later when I turn on the edit computer, but I'm sure that's what's going on.

The other stuff ( discrepancy between instructions and real menu locations to do stuff ) is no big deal. For example, the manual (which is a book I bought from BM publishing ) says to duplicate timeline right click the LQ timeline and choose 'timeline / duplicate timeline' ). In fact the only way to do it ( cause you can't do it using the tab called 'timeline' either ) is to go to 'edit' and then duplicate timeline. I'm hoping the node instructions are not as messed up as that. I guess I'll find out, cause I have to learn what I can about mixing nodes and so on.

Thanks a lot for your help, and I guess this post has been answered... is there some way for me to mark it answered so people don't waste their time checking out this post ??

Return to DaVinci Resolve