Dolby vision metadata import and export issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

raymentj

Dolby vision metadata import and export issue

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 3:14 pm

Good Day/Evening fine folk,

I am in a bit of a pickle, I have been given a HDR video with corresponding metadata which imports perfectly.

My issue is I need to insert a clip at the very start and re-render and export the imported metadata along with the new inserted analysed clip analisezed metadata.

The issue I have is when I go to export the Dolby Vision metadata I get an error "The exported Dolby Vision XML might not be valid as one or more clips are not analyzed" this referring to the other clip that has had its metadata imported as such should not need to be anaylized again loosing all trim settings from the DI suite.

I cannot re-analyse the main video as its imported metadata must stay as is, even without adding a new clip the Dolby Vision imported metadata does not export so its not the issue of adding a new clip, DaVinci wants to ignore the imported metadata and re-analyse if I want to export.

Hope that makes some sense, I did think maybe because the previous video has moved in time this is why it wants to re-analys but no even when left in place still wants to analyse :shock: help would be awesome!!

Jim Simon

Re: DOLBY VISION METADATA IMPORT EXPORT ISSUE

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 3:21 pm

Man, I think you're going about this all wrong. The best option is to go back to the original project with all the original media and add the new clip there.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

raymentj

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 3:34 pm

Thanks for your reply Jim, I do not have access to the grade and never will. It is not an ideal situation agreed but need to understand why DaVinci Resolve is insisting on re-analysing a video that already has metadata imported for it which works great, just does not want to export.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 4:07 pm

I can only guess, but Resolve may not be designed to do what you're asking. One doesn't start with a final DTS mix of the audio, one starts with the original audio files. The same may apply here.

You may not have a choice but to do things the "right" way, even if that means giving the task to the original editor.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

raymentj

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 4:42 pm

I suspect as I do not have a license the analysed clips analysis is being done as a trim for 100 nits Rec709 delivery as opposed to 1000 nits D65 P3 which is the intended platform. This given the Trim controls are stuck on 100 nits Rec709.
Would be great if someone at BMD could confirm this? Meaning the imported metadata trim for one clip is set at 1000nits but without a license I can only analyse for 100nits output for the added clip so there is a mismatch of datasets.

I have contacted Dolby for a licence but have yet to hear back, maybe this can be made an easier process BMD?

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 9:08 pm

Select the new shot and [analyze this shot].

That should fix it.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

raymentj

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 9:47 pm

Thank you for your input.

The new shot has been analysed as mentioned, on output the warning is for the shot with already imported metadata is the issue.
This can fault checked with a simple logic exercise of just using the shot with the imported metadata and try to export the metadata again. This results in all imported metadata being lost with a warning that DR insists the shot with the imported metadata to be analysed again.

Marc Wielage

Re: Dolby vision metadata import and export isdue

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 1:57 am

I believe Tom Graham is the guy to talk to at Dolby.com about Dolby Vision licensing (at least he was last year). He would know who to talk to in order to solve this problem.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

raymentj

Re: Dolby vision metadata import and export issue

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 1:15 pm

Got the quote from Dolby for their DR plugin, will be £2500 for a years licence and £2000 renewal each subsequent year. Good to know!

Return to DaVinci Resolve