Problem exporting my video - days for 3 min video

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

kalo-skills

Problem exporting my video - days for 3 min video

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 9:44 pm

:oops:
Hi community, i am Jorge and i hope that some of you can give me a rational explanation of whats happening to me...

I recently bought a bmpcc4k and i have edited my first videoclip, but at the moment of exporting it doesn't matter the format it puts me that i have to wait for my export more than 20 days (not hours)... my question is, what can i do?, i am desperate because i wanted to work with resolve for starting a freelance, but, this is incredible stressfull... I have tried to move my database to another computer and it's the same problem.

Thanks in advance.

pd: my computer is a i7 lenovo g500, 16 gbs of ram.

Tom Early

Re: PROBLEM EXPORTING MY VIDEOS (IT TAKES 20 DAYS FOR A 3M V

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 10:49 pm

have you tried rendering to different folders, and on different drives?
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Uli Plank

Re: Problem exporting my video - days for 3 min video

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 12:44 am

You don't tell us about your GPU, which might be underpowered. Plus, did you use any demanding functions, like temporal NR or Optical Flow retiming? Finally, what is your export codec?

I've never seen such slowness with DR.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Carsten Sellberg

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 2:58 am

kalo-skills wrote: i hope that some of you can give me a rational explanation of whats happening to me...

Hi.

Your Lenovo G500 is a Entry Level Laptop.

I expect it to run Windows 8?
I expect it to have a Max Screen Resolution of 1366x768?
I expect it to have a Intel core CPU in the 3nnn line. May be a Intel Core i7-3612QM?

Some come with a Graphics adapter AMD Radeon HD 8750M, and some not. I don't know if you have one with the AMD Radeon HD 8750M?

I don't know what Black Magic Designs recommendation are for a PC, working with BRaw video files coming from the bmpcc4k?
But I expect it to be a much stronger PC.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 7:24 am

I would think even on a super underpowered laptop, render times of days for a few minutes clip is stretching it.
The only time i have seen days for export times is when i am using vfx or compositing tools and specialy on simulations using tools like nuke/houdini/fusion where a single frame can take hours on very complex composites.
So are you using Fusion anywhere ? Or any complex OFX plugin.
If so , dont. Disable these and try to render again.
Also disable any noise reduction as requires lots of gpu power.

Start from the basics, so disable all grading/vfs etc and do a clean render pass of the unaltered source material.
If that source material is a raw codec in a high resolution (4k) , you can probably stop there as your laptop is not suited for that.

Alternatively , check your render destination . Are you rendering to an external or network drive ?
The drive could be bad . The network connection could be slow (wifi ??) or have issues.
Is it and or your system drive almost full ?
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

kalo-skills

Re: PROBLEM EXPORTING MY VIDEOS (IT TAKES 20 DAYS FOR A 3M V

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 7:51 am

Tom Early wrote:have you tried rendering to different folders, and on different drives?

Different folders yes, but drives the deskpot and the ssd, that will be my next step, try it with the minissd for the bmpcc4k... :|

Uli Plank

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 9:56 am

Or maybe you tried to export to VP9? That codec is unusable for export in Resolve.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 11:05 am

kalo-skills wrote::oops:
Hi community, i am Jorge and i hope that some of you can give me a rational explanation of whats happening to me...

I recently bought a bmpcc4k and i have edited my first videoclip, but at the moment of exporting it doesn't matter the format it puts me that i have to wait for my export more than 20 days (not hours)... my question is, what can i do?, i am desperate because i wanted to work with resolve for starting a freelance, but, this is incredible stressfull... I have tried to move my database to another computer and it's the same problem.

Thanks in advance.

Please confirm, if you are on W10, What the GPU model is and how much GPU ram.
What is the source file codec, the render codec, the resolution of both, the timeline res, the frame rate.
If you have a single Fusion or OFX etc etc.. based on your info we an only guess you dont have a a system or config that should work at all.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

kalo-skills

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 8:18 pm

Hi world, i am pleased about your answers but i still got the same problem here there is the spec of my computer.

LENOVO G500 WINDOWS10
INTEL I7- 3632QM CPU " 2.20 GHZ (8CPU'S)
MEMORY 16384 MB RAM

(INTELHD Graphics 4000)

NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 720M

10140MB

So, do you know if is anything wrong with my pc?

Maybe there is a internal option in da vinci for using my cpu ram and not nvidia card?

PD. I didn't used fusion just the color grading tab... and i tried to export (youtube 720p) also h264...

thanks for all the replies.

kalo-skills

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 8:56 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
kalo-skills wrote::oops:

Thanks in advance.

Please confirm, if you are on W10, What the GPU model is and how much GPU ram.
What is the source file codec, the render codec, the resolution of both, the timeline res, the frame rate.
If you have a single Fusion or OFX etc etc.. based on your info we an only guess you dont have a a system or config that should work at all.

LENOVO G500 WINDOWS10
MEMORY 16384 MB RAM

(INTELHD Graphics 4000)

NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 720M

10140MB

timeline res 4kand i didn't use the fusion

kalo-skills

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 8:58 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Or maybe you tried to export to VP9? That codec is unusable for export in Resolve.

nope, i've tried in h264, and youtube codecs.

kalo-skills

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 9:06 pm

Uli Plank wrote:You don't tell us about your GPU, which might be underpowered. Plus, did you use any demanding functions, like temporal NR or Optical Flow retiming? Finally, what is your export codec?

I've never seen such slowness with DR.

LENOVO G500 WINDOWS10
MEMORY 16384 MB RAM

(INTELHD Graphics 4000)

NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 720M

10140MB

h264

What does this mean? (like temporal NR or Optical Flow retiming)

kalo-skills

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 9:58 pm

i am tryng to download the latest drivers and i discovered CUDA https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/cuda/faq

Does anybody use it?

thanks lovely people.

BenSchranz

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 4:35 am

kalo-skills wrote:i am tryng to download the latest drivers and i discovered CUDA https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/cuda/faq

Does anybody use it?

thanks lovely people.
You can use geforece to update your drivers if you like. I typically will update the driver without GeForce, but that's because I don't like extra bloat ware (kind of) slowing down my PC.

I would highly recommend downloading the "stable" driver option for content creation. This should hopefully increase your performance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 10:41 am

Try to remove or totally disable the GT720
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve