Resolve 16 crashes on "Looking for control surface"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

DonovanAC

Resolve 16 crashes on "Looking for control surface"

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi everyone at the Blackmagic Forum.

Here's the deal, I've been working with Resolve since the 12.5 version, recently I've been working on the new 16 Beta on Windows and everything was working fine until I installed BorisFX Continuum for After Effects.

Now every time I try to open Resolve it suddenly crashes at "Looking for control surface".
I have tried many things like uninstalling the BorisFX plugin, reinstalling Resolve, downgrade to previous versions of Resolve and nothing seems to work.

I hope someone here has a solution for me.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 16 crashes on "Looking for control surface"

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 11:40 pm

Please review the FAQs above. No one could really help with the limited info you provided.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

DonovanAC

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 11:59 pm

Here's a log of my last crash, hope it helps.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 2:40 am

You are running Resolve 16 beta 1.

Please download and install the release version of 16.0.

And if you need to provide more logs, and you can't use the Resolve Help menu to generate the log (because it won't launch) , then use the following procedure:

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

ravirai

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 am

Just wanted to add to this. I had similar problems once or twice and only in the beta builds. And it turns out one of those two times it did happen, waiting a bit longer at the screen where it looks like it has crashed, it actually moved on and fully loaded the program just after a few minutes.

And the second instance this had happened, just a restart got me back into Resolve and it did not recur. But in my case, Resolve "crashed" in the sense that it seemed to be stuck on that part of the load screen for way too long. I never had one of those "Don't send" report to Microsoft screens come up, killing the program.

DonovanAC

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 4:33 pm

I just downloaded and installed Resolve 16 and it works totally fine.

Thanks a lot for your help guys, I really appreciate it. :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve