Disabling Nodes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jim Simon

Disabling Nodes

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Is it possible to disable all Clip, Timeline or Group nodes in one shot, leaving the others visible?

For example, a Clip has four nodes. The Timeline has four nodes. I want to disable all the Timeline nodes in one shot, leaving the Clip nodes visible.

Possible?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jim Simon

Re: Disabling Nodes

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 7:40 pm

Anyone?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Peter Cave

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 12:02 am

By definition the Timeline nodes affect every shot it the timeline. Use groups instead.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Marc Wielage

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 12:10 am

No, it is not possible to do that. Pre-Clip, Clip, Post-Clip, and Timeline would all have to be disabled separately.

It is possible to temporarily bypass everything (except PTZR sizing) with a panel button or the little "wand" icon on the Color page viewer). I tend to be very careful about what and when I bypass anything. Being a Fixed Node Structure person, I deliberately disable quite a few nodes when they aren't needed. You have to caution anybody else trimming or playing the session not to accidentally turn the "off" nodes on.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 12:12 am

Peter Cave wrote:By definition the Timeline nodes affect every shot it the timeline.

I get that. I was wondering if it were possible to disable all the nodes in the Timeline at once, instead of individually.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 12:15 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Pre-Clip, Clip, Post-Clip, and Timeline would all have to be disabled separately.

Does that mean each set of nodes has to be disabled separately? Because that's what I'm trying to do here, disable a set of nodes. In this case, only the Timeline nodes. I still want to see the Clip nodes.

Or do you mean there's no way to disable a set with one command, I have to manually disable every node in a set?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Peter Cave

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 12:17 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Peter Cave wrote:By definition the Timeline nodes affect every shot it the timeline.

I get that. I was wondering if it were possible to disable all the nodes in the Timeline at once, instead of individually.

Yes, these's a keyboard shortcut to disable single node and also disable all nodes in a node tree.
You must be in the Timeline node tree for it to work on the Timeline nodes or it will work on the Clip nodes. Context sensitive.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Jim Simon

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 12:20 am

Perfect. Thanks, Peter. I didn't even think to look for a shortcut. I was looking for an interface icon, or mouse click.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Does that mean each set of nodes has to be disabled separately? Because that's what I'm trying to do here, disable a set of nodes. In this case, only the Timeline nodes. I still want to see the Clip nodes.

Yes, you can disable just the Pre-Clip, or just the Post-Clip, or just the Timeline nodes with option-D (on Mac) -- the trick, as I said in my reference to Fixed Node Trees, is that it turns ALL the nodes back on when you do the opposite, which you may not want. What exactly are you trying to do?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 11:14 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:What exactly are you trying to do?

Temporarily disable all of the Timeline nodes so I could tweak the Clip nodes.

I was looking for a way to turn them all off (and then later back on) in one go, rather than each individual node.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve