Project Database Size Limits

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Zeb Chadfield

Project Database Size Limits

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 10:23 pm

I’m wondering if there are limitations on database sizes. We have always had a database per year with folders for each month and the projects in there. The single database works well for us to make the backup process and project management simple. We are a finishing and delivery company so have fast turn over. Now that we have moved all our finishing and delivery into resolve we obviously have a lot more in the database and it’s starting feel a bit clunkier which brings me here. Do I need to be concerned, should I come up with a way to break them down, perhaps a database per month. Any thoughts and opinions would be great. Cheers!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Project Database Size Limits

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 12:45 am

Large facilities use a new DB per film, per TV series.
And a server class workstation for the central DB server.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Zeb Chadfield

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 5:18 pm

Sounds good. I'll break it down to a database per month. We are in and out of loads of projects every day so that would work best for us. We do them series by series for ingest. This is just for the finishing and delivery side.

Regarding enterprise server options are there recommended settings or preferences. Should we be trying to have loads of CPU or loads of RAM for the machine running the database. We have a spare 32 core machine if CPU would be best to throw at it.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 3:10 pm

That CPUs probably overkill.
A 12 core Xeon with lots of SSD and 32GB Ram is probably more viable for a mid size facility.
Don’t forget live mirror of data and tape backup.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve