Some issues I have

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Joakley

Some issues I have

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 4:18 pm

Hey guys,
I recently did roundtrip from FCPX to do some color grading I’m Resolve. I had posted these issues/questions on a Facebook group and the feedback is...so so.
Anyway, here they are

1) there are two gaps (thin black bars) at the top and the bottom of certain clips… Not all of them, but a few. Apparently this may have something to do with my project being 192x1080 and the shot footage being 4K. But I’m just wondering why it’s only on a few clips and not all of them. And how do I make this fit. In FCPX, to fix this issue you just click on inspector, and under spatial conform change from “fit“ to “fill”. So how do I do this in resolve?

2) there is one clip on the timeline that doesn’t play at all. All of the other clips are playing along just fine, but with this particular clip the playhead just cruises right over it like it’s a still. Any idea what causes this?

Lastly...and this is a big one, I still have this issue while working in the color page:

Whenever I click off the color page and on again, I have to click the nodes multiple times to get them to appear in the node window. Also, the timeline doesn’t automatically appear. I have to click it twice to get the timeline to show. Again, this is whenever I open the color page. Prior to this issue, whenever I would open the color page it automatically displayed the timeline and a default node. It had happened previously when I had DR 15 and I figured it would correct itself when I installed the new 16 version. But it still happens.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Jim Simon

Re: Some issues I have

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 8:26 pm

1. This is likely because the clips in question were shot DCI 4K, which is 4096 x 2160. That equates to a 1.89 aspect, which doesn't quite match the 1.77 aspect of the timeline. UHD is 3840 x 2160, which does match at 1.77.

Your best solution might be to go to Project Settings>Image Scaling>Input Scaling and choose the Scale Full Frame with Crop option.

2. We'd need the details of the clip in question. Format, specs, originating camera, etc.

3. I had similar troubles with one of the 16 betas. Had to futz around a bit to actually see the nodes. Haven't seen this yet in the 16.1 betas.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Joakley

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 2:22 am

Jim Simon wrote:1. This is likely because the clips in question were shot DCI 4K, which is 4096 x 2160. That equates to a 1.89 aspect, which doesn't quite match the 1.77 aspect of the timeline. UHD is 3840 x 2160, which does match at 1.77.

Your best solution might be to go to Project Settings>Image Scaling>Input Scaling and choose the Scale Full Frame with Crop option.

2. We'd need the details of the clip in question. Format, specs, originating camera, etc.

3. I had similar troubles with one of the 16 betas. Had to futz around a bit to actually see the nodes. Haven't seen this yet in the 16.1 betas.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

All of the clips were shot in 4Kdci though. Why are there only certain ones with this problem? If I follow the steps you mentioned, will it jack up all of the other clips that fill the frame normally?

As far as info for the clip that doesn’t play, again it was shot the same as all the other clips. All were either 24 or 60 FPS, 4K, 422HQ, and I’m not sure what other info is important. All shot on the pocket 4K.

And finally, in regards to the color page crap, so you think it’s an actual bug? I specifically waited to install 16 because I thought it was more “stable” than these betas. It really bugs me. I had this issue back with DR15 and I just thought once I update it should clear itself.

Jim Simon

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 3:17 pm

Joakley wrote:If I follow the steps you mentioned, will it jack up all of the other clips that fill the frame normally?

Jack up?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Joakley

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 8:49 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Joakley wrote:If I follow the steps you mentioned, will it jack up all of the other clips that fill the frame normally?

Jack up?

You said to do that image scaling thing in project settings, which affects the entire project as a whole. So will this affect the clips that already fit the frame? Like blow them up more as well? It’s a small handful of clips that don’t fit (still unsure why since they were all shot in the exact same format).

Joakley

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 11:19 pm

Alright, so after clicking on some clips and viewing the metadata it looks like the clips with the bars are 1920x1080 and the clips that fill the frame are 4096x2160. But...why? Why are they different? I shot them all at the same resolution. Does this have something to do with the way it was imported from final cut? These clips are just random throughout the timeline.

And finally, does any of this actually matter since I’m doing a roundtrip back to FCPX? Once I export and resend the xml to a new event in FCPX everything should still be the same, right? With the exception of the color grading I did in resolve?

Jim Simon

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 1:40 am

Joakley wrote:So will this affect the clips that already fit the frame? Like blow them up more as well?
[/quote]

It shouldn't.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 1:43 am

Joakley wrote:does any of this actually matter since I’m doing a roundtrip back to FCPX?

I have never used that software.

I can only say that I was not pleased with the results of round tripping with Premiere Pro. My advice is to stick with one program.

If you want Resolve for Color, do everything in Resolve. If you want FCPX for editing, do everything in FCPX.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve