Workflow for in-camera generated proxies

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

huckster

Workflow for in-camera generated proxies

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 9:50 pm

I have been using resolve for awhile with a pretty basic laptop. In order to have this workable I use the fancy "generate optimized media" trick. But (a) this takes a lot of time and (b) I swear it loses its optimization randomly and I have to re-generate....weird. However, my Sony a6400 allows me to generate proxy files on the fly!! So I end up with two folders: one has files like C0009.MP4 that are 2160x3840 at 100117 kbps, the other has files like C0009S03.MP4 (appends "S03" to filename....I don't think I can control this) that are 720x1280 at 8963kbps.

So my question is, what is a simple workflow for a noob like me to edit with the proxies then export/render using original files? I've found several discussions on the forums around this topic but they all seem more complex than I need (eg. they have multiple people working on a project, files are stored on a server somewhere, etc).

I appreciate any advice!

huckster

Re: Workflow for in-camera generated proxies

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 4:07 pm

I'm back! It sounds like DR17 has improved support for proxies and so I am revisiting this old question. I understand how I would generate and use proxies from within Resolve. But I am curious if I can use the in-camera generated proxies from my Sony a6400. Unfortunately it saves them with a different (but similar) filename. So my question still remains but I'll restate below:

- is it even a good idea to use these in-camera generated proxy files?
- ​if so, can I use them with their existing different (but related to full res) filenames?
-if so, how?
- do I have to change the filenames to match the full res versions? If so, once I have done that is it just a matter of "relinking proxies" and pointing to that folder?

Thanks in advance!

Jim Simon

Re: Workflow for in-camera generated proxies

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 8:43 pm

From the New Features Guide.

To properly link the proxy to its source media in DaVinci Resolve, the proxy file must meet the following criteria:
– Proxy files must have identical timecode to the source file.
– Proxy files must have the same file name as the source file (excluding extensions).
– Proxy files must have the same frame rate as the source file.
– The format and codec used for proxy files must be supported in DaVinci Resolve.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve