Black canvas after crashing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

echofln

Black canvas after crashing

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 2:10 pm

Please excuse me if this isn't the right place to post this, couldn't find a more suited one.
I bought a new laptop with the single purpose of using davinci resolve. It's an Acer Predator Helios 300 with 6 gb ram. On my first night of use, I just closed the computer with resolve opened, never thought it would be an issue. When I reopened the notebook this morning, davinci had crashed (I sent the auto report) and when I restarted the application the video area was all black, no matter what I would do. I tried the original project and also a new project as well. The sound would play, but not the video.

Turning off the computer and on again solved the problem, but still, I found quite this problem quite worrying. Also when I tried to open resolve, for some reason I had to do it 3 times until it worked.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 graphics, 16GB of DDR4
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ 2.80 GHz - 3.8 GHz

Emerson

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Black canvas after crashing

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 2:34 pm

I presume you are on W10?

Is this v16.1b2?
Maybe you can check your GPU drivers

If no luck, if you can get Resolve to open on a new project, go to the help menu and generate a diagnostic log to post here.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

echofln

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:I presume you are on W10?

Is this v16.1b2?
Maybe you can check your GPU drivers

If no luck, if you can get Resolve to open on a new project, go to the help menu and generate a diagnostic log to post here.

It's the 16 official version.
Yes it's windows 10.

ACer's page says the latest version is:
Date: 2017/07/18
Version: 22.21.13.8248

My device managers says something else:
Date: 11/12/2018
Version: 25.21.14.1735

Seems I have a newer version than Acer :)

Then I ran NVIDIA updater and now it shows:
date: 05/09/2019
version: 26.21.14.3630

Let's see if it helps.

By the way, I didn't manage to upload the zip file davinci generates on desktop. The forum blocked me temporarily after I tried :P

echofln

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Ok, it happened again, I just found the resolve crash screen when I opened the Predator notebook. And now I have the latest video drivers. I chose to send the crash information to blackmagic on the crash screen.

I really wanted to know if this is an issue with the computer because I still have time to return it. ANd I bought it especially for video editing with resolve.

echofln

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 5:37 am

Hi, it keeps happening, everytime I close the notebook.
I managed to upload to google drive the diagnostic files:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J76tA ... Jqgp0XgCa9

I would really appreciate if someone would tell me if this is an issue with the computer, because my computer has been with me for less than a week, and as I bought specially for using resolve, Id return in case there is an issue between this notebook and resolve

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 8:33 am

Can you install the Nvidia driver version cleanly and try with the 16.1 beta 3 build please?

Carsten Sellberg

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 10:11 am

echofln wrote: I would really appreciate if someone would tell me if this is an issue with the computer, because my computer has been with me for less than a week, and as I bought specially for using resolve, Id return in case there is an issue between this notebook and resolve

Hi.

I can't really understand your choice of Labtop. But I don't know what kind if video files you want to work with?
If you now or later want to work with 4K video files is the 6 MB vRam on built in Graphic Card very low. A built in Graphics Card with 8 GB vRam will be much better for 4K work.

A few week ago did Amazon.com sell the Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-61-R0GX Gaming Laptop, AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Desktop Processor, AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 Graphics, 17.3" Full HD 144Hz Radeon FreeSync Display, 16GB DDR4, 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD on sale for 1299 USD.
Now they ask $1,468.98 for it. Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-PH ... op?ie=UTF8

It have a 8 core AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Desktop Processor togetter with a RX Vega 56 Built in Graphics Card with 8 GB of vRam limited to a 120 Watt power consumption and uses a B450 custum built motherboard.
According the the owners, do it not have any heat problems, but many users are asking for better driver support and possibilities to upgrade it to the new Ryzen 3000 CPU. Here is a link with more information. Suggest you start reading from around page 45 ->

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... 96/page-45

I can't recommend it as I have not tested it. I expect its old drivers will run Resolve much better, than your current Acer Predator Helios 300.

You can't do the same work on a 6 core Laptop as on a 12 or 16 core Desktop, but for people on the road is the best laptops for Resolve, a powerfull Gamer Laptop with extra Ram and may be an extra MVMe SSD. Here is a link:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookc ... 456.0.html

If you click on one of them, you go to a detailed review with advantages and disadvantages of that particular model.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

echofln

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 4:23 pm

Hi, actually that was the best I could afford at the moment, and I saw many people saying 6gb would be enough to start.
Either way, the issue of crashing seems unrelated with the amount of video ram, as the crash just happen when I close the laptop (hibernate?). Or when the battery runs off, which happens a lot as this battery doesn't last too long :/

It would be great if resolve was more stable in this regard.

Carsten Sellberg wrote: :?
Hi.

I can't really understand your choice of Labtop. But I don't know what kind if video files you want to work with?
If you now or later want to work with 4K video files is the 6 MB vRam on built in Graphic Card very low. A built in Graphics Card with 8 GB vRam will be much better for 4K work.

Regards Carsten.

echofln

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 3:41 pm

Keeps crashing (almost) every time I close the laptop :/
Is there any place where I can open a bug?

echofln

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 1:54 pm

Is it worth trying the beta 3? I'm afraid to end up with more problems or incompatibility with my files.

echofln

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 2:17 am

Leaving a feedback, after I updated to Beta 3, it improved a lot, sometimes it freezes and I need to stop the proccess, but sometimes it works jus fine after reopening the notebook.

echofln

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 3:44 pm

echofln wrote:Leaving a feedback, after I updated to Beta 3, it improved a lot, sometimes it freezes and I need to stop the proccess, but sometimes it works jus fine after reopening the notebook.

I take it back, it is actually much worse now, it's crashing sometimes while I'm using, and when I close the laptop I always freezes, and I need to stop the proccess.Will this issue be looked at in the next version? Please let me know if you need any log files.

Return to DaVinci Resolve