Multicam: How to Switch Angles using shortcut

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ozmorphasis

Multicam: How to Switch Angles using shortcut

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 5:22 pm

In premiere I can click on any clip in my cut up multicam edit and by pressing a number, it switches that clip to the corresponding "angle". In Resolve, I am only able to do this by right clicking on the clip and going to a drop down menu to select the angle. That is insanely slow. Is there a shortcut for this that I am missing?

TIA

ozmorphasis

Re: Multicam: How to Switch Angles using shortcut

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 5:39 pm

I am also able to toggle up or down through all of the angles by holding down ctrl-shft and using the left-right arrow keys. This is certainly better than the drop down menu using the mouse, but still looking for a way to directly select the angle I want.

ozmorphasis

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Hmm,

Now I'm able to do it using Alt + #

Strange that I've been trying to do that over and over and couldn't get it to work and now it suddenly works. Is there a setting that I needed to have toggled in order to enable that? I don't get why it suddenly works now.

Forgive all the newbness! Trying to keep a multicam edit in Resolve since it's my first time shooting one using all BRAW.

Michael_Andreas

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 5:56 pm

That's not what I had to do for my multicam edits. If you configure the source window for multicam, you get a thumbnail for each camera and click on the thumbnail to switch angles. It's also possible to configure so that only the video and not the audio is switched.

If you'll Read The Fine Manual (accessible via the Help dropdown) searching on "multicam" should explain how.

ozmorphasis

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 3:50 am

Michael_Andreas wrote:That's not what I had to do for my multicam edits. If you configure the source window for multicam, you get a thumbnail for each camera and click on the thumbnail to switch angles. It's also possible to configure so that only the video and not the audio is switched.

If you'll Read The Fine Manual (accessible via the Help dropdown) searching on "multicam" should explain how.

Clicking on the thumbnails is fine for cutting while playing, or while stopped. However, after doing all of that, I want to be able to go back and change those clips to other angles. Clicking on the thumbnails does not do this, unless I'm doing it wrong.

...and I did read the entire section on multicam in the manual. I love Resolve. I love Blackmagic. However, the manual is not well-written IMHO.

Michael_Andreas

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 4:13 am

Text search the PDF for "editing multicam clips in the timeline"

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 4:59 am

Omid,

Assuming you're talking about the Edit page, the app menus (Trim > Multicam Cut and Trim > Multicam Switch) do not apply unless you are in multicam edit mode. The hotkeys you describe may then apply to other functions (by default video track destination).

To edit a multicam, doubleclick the multicam edit on the timeline b. switch the viewer (bottom left) to Multicam mode. If you're in doubt, check the application menus above - they should be enabled and show the familiar hotkeys.

Resolve allows you to preview multicams from the media pool and the edit page in the same angle layout. This may be the reason for confusion.

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 9:08 am

i have put the multicam view under a shortcut. so when i want to change an angle, i have to select the clip, press the shortcut, then change the angle. still not ideal, but it works. have to say that premiere handles multicam clips much more efficient.

Return to DaVinci Resolve