my video being cropped

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

CrashLanding2

my video being cropped

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi,
I just upgraded to Resolve 16. Now when I import a video clip, the clip is apparently being cropped to a smaller size and 16:9. I can't find how to fix it. The clip is a folder of DNGs. They are 4920 x 3280. But I am seeing only part of the image, possibly only 4K of it, even though I am at a zoom of 1. If I zoom out I do not see any more of the original image. In Media the clip appears normally. This didn't happen with the last version I was using, 15 I think. I found Cropping, Dynamic Zoom and Stabilization turned on. I turned them off. Didn't help. the image is also cropped in Color Correction. Please tell me what I need to change to fix this.
Thank you.

CrashLanding2

Re: my video being cropped

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 7:18 pm

I found where I can fix this one clip on the timeline. I went to File > Project Settings > Image Scaling > Mismatched Resolution Files and changed it from Center Crop with no Resizing to Scale entire image to fit.
this made the new clip appear normally and allows me to scale and move it about. But now all my other clips lost their setups, appearing all over the screen at various sizes. I changed this setting back to the default and now my other clips appear as they should, but the new clip I added with this new version of Resolve is back to being cropped. When I changed the setting only the new clip was selected, I think.

Jim Simon

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 7:55 pm

You can change that setting for a single clip in the Inspector.

CrashLanding2

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 4:02 pm

Where is the inspector ?

CrashLanding2

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 4:51 pm

In clip attributes Image Sizing Preset is set to None, and everything here is grayed out, not adjustable.

CrashLanding2

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 5:04 pm

OK, sorry, I see the inspector. I see it most of the time in Edit mode. I just found the switches for Cropping, Stabilization, Retime & Scaling and Lens Correction were turned on again even though I had turned them off before. Perhaps I didn't save the settings as I have had some crashes. Turning these switches off didn't change anything I can see. Image still being cropped. Perhaps you mean that I can zoom, and move left and right here. I can. But for this clip only, when I zoom out I find the image is cropped. Not all of it is showing in Edit. So if I zoom out I do not see more of the image. All of the image shows in media. The image shown in Edit is cropped to 16:9.

Return to DaVinci Resolve